ROR
Garrison
C.Stewart
Bieksa
Matthias
Brodziak
Engeland
Haley

Man what a list of meatheads :laugh:. Guess 2 and 2 really does make 4.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And here we are, almost 2019 and hitting and fighting are pretty much out of the game. Looks like "they" were right.

Hitting is still in the game, just not predatory hits. Apparently that draws the ire of the inner Don Cherry in people that think that means the league is gone the way of a pansy sport. Hardly the case. Having more respect for their peers is not a bad thing at all, you can still throw a hard hit without it being high or predatory.

As for fighting, enforcers aren't doing it as much anymore and for obvious reasons - How many ex enforcers are dying and talking about severe depression and CTE issues? You think they think that's worth it now? If anything, teams want players that can also take a regular shift, if that means the plugs that just fight and do nothing else are being phased out with fighting, fine by me. Saves a bunch of lives too, down the road with concussion and other mental issues that come along with punches to the head.

If you had to bet, Jamie Ben would be the safe bet to be the last without a visor, right?

Most are always a really bad high stick near their eye, from wearing one.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
To add to this, are there any other remaining players that wear the supposedly illegal "high angle forehead protection" style with their visor?

I know Komarov (and maybe Hagelin too?) was getting warned and penalized for it last season. But Kronwall continues to rock it that way this season.

niklas-kronwall-of-the-detroit-red-wings-looks-on-against-the-toronto-picture-id1078842010

Reactions: OppositeLocK

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Seeing the kind of shit that goes on in NHL games and how fast sticks and pucks are flying around, I can't imagine any player still wanting to play without a visor (I understand that it's a preference thing, but that's just crazy to me). It's always hilarious to me when something happens to a guy then he starts wearing a visor, or ankle protectors.

It's as though the player had no idea that anything could happen to their face or ankles before said incident. lol

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Byfuglien might not have been concussed this year if he wore a visor. Got clonked right on the forehead

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Getzlaf
Ja.Benn
Thornton
Chara
MacKenzie
Jo.Benn
McLeod
Gudbranson
Reaves
Lucic
Kassian
J.Ericsson
Hendricks
Boyle
Byfuglien
M.Martin
Bieksa
T.Glass
Rinaldo
Cizikas
Methot
Z.Smith
Polak
MacKenzie

Who (I'm sure a few) did leave out?

Edit: ones I missed
Chimera
ROR
Garrison
C.Stewart
Bieksa
Matthias
Brodziak
Andrew Shaw
Engeland
Haley

Getzlaf
Ja.Benn
Thornton
Chara
Jo.Benn
McLeod
Reaves
Lucic
Kassian
J.Ericsson
Hendricks
Boyle
Byfuglien
M.Martin
T.Glass
Rinaldo
Methot
Polak
ROR
Garrison
Brodziak
Engeland
Haley
Prout
Beleskey
Shaw
Bogosian
MacKenzie

I've updated the list from this old one.

Gudbranson and Zack Smith now wear a visor, Chimera, Chris Stewart, Bieska, and Matthias have retired, and Prout and Beleskey were added to the list as they were called up from the AHL and do not wear one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Put some respeck on Andrew Shaw, he still doesn't wear a visor and he gets like ~2 concussions a year

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
How can you watch hockey and say hitting is out of the game?
Try watching hockey with some South Americans and they’re all like this game is ****ing crazy these guys are out there to kill each other
Lol, they obviously just started watching then. Big hits are gone. No one wants to risk five and a game. So it’s stick checks. And more stick checks.

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Hitting is still in the game, just not predatory hits. Apparently that draws the ire of the inner Don Cherry in people that think that means the league is gone the way of a pansy sport. Hardly the case. Having more respect for their peers is not a bad thing at all, you can still throw a hard hit without it being high or predatory.

As for fighting, enforcers aren't doing it as much anymore and for obvious reasons - How many ex enforcers are dying and talking about severe depression and CTE issues? You think they think that's worth it now? If anything, teams want players that can also take a regular shift, if that means the plugs that just fight and do nothing else are being phased out with fighting, fine by me. Saves a bunch of lives too, down the road with concussion and other mental issues that come along with punches to the head.

Most are always a really bad high stick near their eye, from wearing one.
Hitting most certainly is not still in the game. We’re almost halfway thru the season, and I can count on one hand the number of “actual hits” I’ve seen... and most of those (cole, reaves) got 5 and a game. Reaves should’ve gotten 2 for interference and cole should’ve gotten nothing except a high five at the bench for a textbook shoulder check according to the “new rules” kronwall the other night was another joke. It wasn’t a penalty but people here were screaming 10 games.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Kinda silly to speculate about something that not going to happen for another 7-8 years minimum.

Visorless players under 30:

Shaw - 27
ROR - 27
Bogosian - 28
Prout - 28
Rinaldo - 28
Ja.Benn - 29
M.Martin - 29

It'll be one of those seven more likely than not. Beyond that you can't really say for certain.

Watch it'll be Rinaldo. He's dumb enough to not wear it, and he's one of those players that you keep wondering how he gets a contract, because it's certainly not for his hockey "skills".

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

cliffclaven

Nov 29, 2018
Kinda silly to speculate about something that not going to happen for another 7-8 years minimum.

Visorless players under 30:

Shaw - 27
ROR - 27
Bogosian - 28
Prout - 28
Rinaldo - 28
Ja.Benn - 29
M.Martin - 29

It'll be one of those seven more likely than not. Beyond that you can't really say for certain.

Man... that is sad.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Chara will be the last because he's going to play until he's 74.

If you doubt me, watch his workouts on Instagram :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad