Last of the no visor breed

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
If players don't want to wear a visor or helmet they shouldn't have to wear a visor or helmet

It is pro sport too, a lot of revenues goes from massive audience watching the products, a bit like glove in the UFC are for getting larger revenues regardless if they are more secure or not it would be cringy for a significant section of the NHL audience to see players without helmet on the ice in this day and age.

If the player would pay their insurance and not their team and if revenues would not be affected by their action you would be quite right, in the current setup it is reasonable for the league to protect itself and their revenues.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
I remember one of the Sedins getting a skate to the face and if not for the visor that Henrik (think it was Henrik) was wearing, who knows what would've happened. Can't find that video.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
To add to this, are there any other remaining players that wear the supposedly illegal "high angle forehead protection" style with their visor?

I know Komarov (and maybe Hagelin too?) was getting warned and penalized for it last season. But Kronwall continues to rock it that way this season.

Zemgus Girgensons wears his helmet quite high.
usa_today_9959908.0.jpg

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
To add to this, are there any other remaining players that wear the supposedly illegal "high angle forehead protection" style with their visor?

I know Komarov (and maybe Hagelin too?) was getting warned and penalized for it last season. But Kronwall continues to rock it that way this season.

niklas-kronwall-of-the-detroit-red-wings-looks-on-against-the-toronto-picture-id1078842010
This drives me nuts. Why wear the visor at all if it's not going to cover anything?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

niklas-kronwall-of-the-detroit-red-wings-looks-on-against-the-toronto-picture-id1078842010

And he got cut near his eye by a teammate's high stick last night.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
If players don't want to wear a visor or helmet they shouldn't have to wear a visor or helmet

Completely disagree. It's just plain stupid and it's not cool at all even if the players that doesn't have a visor thinks so. If it's optional we might as well let people play without protection, just a shirt and a pair of skates like the good ol' days.

I bet bad boys Chris Pronger, Bryan Berard and Ian Laperrière thought they were really cool rockin' the ice playing without visors.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Completely disagree. It's just plain stupid and it's not cool at all even if the players that doesn't have a visor thinks so. If it's optional we might as well let people play without protection, just a shirt and a pair of skates like the good ol' days.

I bet bad boys Chris Pronger, Bryan Berard and Ian Laperrière thought they were really cool rockin' the ice playing without visors.
Calm down buddy.

Some players legitimately don’t like seeing through one. It’s not all about being tough.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Calm down buddy.

Some players legitimately don’t like seeing through one. It’s not all about being tough.

Of course but maybe it's time to get used to it. I'm all for grandfathering things in but it shouldn't be an option like some people think it should be.

Tweed

Jun 25, 2006
I don't think that there are any players on the Penguins anymore that go visor-less now that Reaves is gone to Vegas...

Hornqvist is the only player left on the Pens that warms up without his helmet (something I pay attention to each game I attend).

:biglaugh:

Reactions: Fixxer

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Getzlaf
Ja.Benn
Thornton
Chara
Jo.Benn
McLeod
Reaves
Lucic
Kassian
J.Ericsson
Hendricks
Boyle
Byfuglien
M.Martin
T.Glass
Rinaldo
Methot
Polak
ROR
Garrison
Brodziak
Engeland
Haley
Prout
Beleskey
Shaw
Bogosian
MacKenzie

I've updated the list from this old one.

Gudbranson and Zack Smith now wear a visor, Chimera, Chris Stewart, Bieska, and Matthias have retired, and Prout and Beleskey were added to the list as they were called up from the AHL and do not wear one.
Updating this shrinking list

Getzlaf
Ja.Benn
Thornton
Chara
Jo.Benn
McLeod
Reaves
Lucic
Kassian
J.Ericsson
Boyle
Byfuglien
M.Martin
Rinaldo
Polak
ROR
Engeland
Haley
Prout
Beleskey
Shaw
Bogosian

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Notice the players without visors rarely get blindsided by hits? Probally because they can see the ice better.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln

Yeah, a lot of bigger guys don't wear much more than a shirt on the upper body bud. Just armoring guys up is a really basic way of thinking.

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
A guy like Andrew Shaw. Still, I believe his durability will be limited from now on so he won't be the last. A hard nosed player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad