Movies: Last Movie You Watched and Rate It | Part#: Some High Number

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I sympathize with wanting comic book movies to die down in general, but a DC Universe movie being bad isn't a very good reason to think that this is suddenly apparent. They're always bad.
I will die on the hill that Man of Steel was a solid movie and the only Zack Snyder movie I’ve ever liked.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
A Ghost Story

Great idea, uneven execution. Lots of good and lots of cringe.

The movie consistently loses steam after the riveting pie scene and ends on a thud.

I didn't like it very much but lots of people really liked it.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Eyes Without a Face (Les Yeux sans visage) by Georges Franju (1960) – 7/10

I saw this film listed in the horror/suspense film thread, and thought I would give it a chance. I thought it was pretty good actually, but it never rocked me in any sense of the concept. I liked the intro car scene, where the female driver looks in the rear-view mirror, but it never really takes off from there as far as jump scares are considered.

One problem with the film is that you know who the bad guys are 5 minutes into the running. Another problem is that the main villain looks like a cartoon villain from The Man from U.N.C.L.E television series. Now ehhedler is a fan of The Man from U.N.C.L.E, but this is supposed to be a serious suspense film. A third problem is that I didn't really get the symbolism with the doves. If it's peace, or freedom, or something else.

eyes_without_a_face_1.png

The music was great though, by Maurice Jarre. Nice cinematography too, by the Die Nibelungen/Metropolis guy.

The best (and saddest) scene in the film is when you think Edna is going to escape from the compounds where she is held. She is escaping though, but not really in the way you thought she would.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
A Ghost Story

Great idea, uneven execution. Lots of good and lots of cringe.

The movie consistently loses steam after the riveting pie scene and ends on a thud.

I didn't like it very much but lots of people really liked it.
Oh man, I love this movie. I feel like it's something that should be insufferable in terms of being too "hipster" when you describe what it is and how it's executed, but I just thought that everything worked. It explores such massive themes in such a small, quaint, personal way. One of the more emotional movies I've ever seen and it's shot in such a beautiful way.

Everyone always talks about the pie scene, but I think it's cool how that plays a part in the broader context of the film when you compare it to what happens later.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Coco 4.5 Stars.

Absolutely beautiful Pixar movie. The animation and art style was excellent. The twist was extremely obvious, but it didn’t matter.

Ending had me in tears.

Must watch

Last edited:

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Burning. Man, this is a movie that I walked out of feeling excited about movies. What a patient and riveting and rewarding film. My brain is still pawing at it now and probably will be for the immediate future. I almost wanted to turn around, walk right back in the theater and see it again. I suspect future viewings will be even more rewarding.

I honestly can't wait for some American producer to grab it and make a crappy remake that takes out all the subtlety, turning it into a more heavy handed movie. (I really can see this happening -- the Steven Yuen part has good looking actor vanity project role written all over it ...)

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Burning. Man, this is a movie that I walked out of feeling excited about movies. What a patient and riveting and rewarding film. My brain is still pawing at it now and probably will be for the immediate future. I almost wanted to turn around, walk right back in the theater and see it again. I suspect future viewings will be even more rewarding.

I honestly can't wait for some American producer to grab it and make a crappy remake that takes out all the subtlety, turning it into a more heavy handed movie. (I really can see this happening -- the Steven Yuen part has good looking actor vanity project role written all over it ...)
Where did you see it?

Mario Lemieux fan 66

Nov 2, 2012
Roma: 7.5/10 Great cinematography, average story but not very entertaining. It would not be my pick for the oscar for best picture or best foreign movie either.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Floating Weeds (1959) - 7/10

Once you've seen one Ozu, you've seen most of them, and this is about the fifth one I watched. Really lacking in the comforting department compared to his other films and with a less captivating story but he did in fairness try one new thing which was more of an ensemble of a cast with more variety than the usual middle class family.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Spiderman : Into The Spiderverse [2018] :

A young man (of colour) is bitten by a radioactive spider and becomes Spiderman Part Deux.

As for Spiderman One... he dies. But have no fear because he comes back as an older, wiser, chubbier version of himself - finally a superhero us middle aged guys can relate to; God bless his heart, he even wears sweatpants!!! :thumbu:

Of course, there's a SpiderBabe as 2's love interest.

Spiderman : Into The Spiderverse is way too complicated but it has a really cool look - a "look" that makes the movie unique enough for a positive review. Otherwise, it would be the same old, same old.

6/10

Movie Trailer :

Last edited:

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Eighth Grade (2018) did not work for me, at all. Outside of some relatable moments and a few funny parts, this one just fell flat for me. Good central performance by Elsie Fisher.

4/10

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
The House That Jack Built: 9.4/10.

One of the most bizarre, brutal, yet creative and innovating films I've ever seen.

It's really hard to explain. If you can't stomach violence, don't go for it, but it's absolutely fantastic.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
The Mule (2018)
2.20 out of 4stars

It's a messy movie with a lot of issues, but Clint Eastwood's acting carries the movie for the most part. I hated the ending and thought a lot of things in this "inspired by a true story" movie were far far from logical. This movie is better as a discussion starter regarding deservedly estranged fathers/grandfathers/husbands and their abilities to reconcile with said parties who rightfully hate them based on past selfish amoral decisions they've repeatedly made.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Shirkers (2018)

A haunting documentary about a lost film made by a few rebellious Singaporean teenagers and their American mentor. I can struggle with getting into documentaries, but this one pulled me straight in. An emotional movie about a movie.

8/10

Available to stream on Netflix.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Death of Stalin = **** out of ****

Found this very amusing film watching it for first time this morning. Great cast and in a way sorta reminded me to an extent in humor of movies like "The Grand Budapest Hotel"

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
The Favourite. Second year in a row that Yorgos Lanthimos is responsible for one of my favoUrite films of the year (actually about 2.5 since I love the first half of The Lobster, but not so much the second). A classic tale of palace intrigue with a modern touch. Wickedly entertaining. It's worth it just watching the three actresses -- Olivia Colman, Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone -- battle each other. Juicy roles and worthy recipients. Like Queen Anne's gout-stricken leg I feel it's perhaps a bit boated ... as fun as it is, I definitely hit a "checking my watch" moment. Still, a nasty little bit of entertainment.

Reactions: kihei

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Yes...I know Im late to the party on this one

Barry Lyndon 9.5/10

pretty much the best example of how to do a period piece.

every single detail was clearly agonized over and perfected. There wasnt a single thing that I noticed that took me out of the time period, including the lighting. Especially the interior scenes where the only lighting was the actual candlelight were great.

a good and captivating story and all of Kubrick's talents were on full display as well as his fanaticism for perfection. A masterclass in cinematography and production design

sidenote, I watched it because of watching the documentary on Leon Vitali...

Filmworker 9.5/10

a great documentary about Kubrick and Leon Vitali. You get to see a ton of behind the camera things from Kubricks movies, and get to see Kubrick himself in a different light. You really get to see all the prep work and just work in general he (and Leon) did for his movies. And the work Leon continues to do to preserve Kubrick's films

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Going to watch Mulholland Drive for the first time in years tonight. I remember being relatively underwhelmed by it but it's so highly acclaimed that I figure I should try it again. Watching Blue Velvet again - which I always loved - a couple of months back kind of triggered it. Probably will give another shot to Eraserhead and Lost Highway again too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad