Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Did they expand on the bolded at all? What exactly did he have a problem with? Decision making? Strength? Working with his partner? Switching targets on the fly?

I think it is decision making/switching targets on the fly

Pretty common struggle for young Euros adjusting to NA play

Reactions: derriko

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Did they expand on the bolded at all? What exactly did he have a problem with? Decision making? Strength? Working with his partner? Switching targets on the fly?

Can't speak for ISS, but his general decision making is the biggest issue I have with him.

Often tried low-percentage plays, was late identifying opportunities, and had some bad turnovers.

Having watched both extensively in their draft years, he reminds me of Madison Bowey.

Riverboat gambler type that could end up a top 4 D because of his skill and skating ability, but could also bust completely.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I honestly don't mind the pick. Thomson is a good player, it just hurts a little because of the 3 players who went right before him.
feel the same. Was really hoping for harley even though hes a LHD

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Can't speak for ISS, but his general decision making is the biggest issue I have with him.

Often tried low-percentage plays, was late identifying opportunities, and had some bad turnovers.

Having watched both extensively in their draft years, he reminds me of Madison Bowey.

Riverboat gambler type that could end up a top 4 D because of his skill and skating ability, but could also bust completely.
Yeah. We need a solid super smart defensive 2way guy. Maybe JBD turns in to exactly what we need. Wouldn't hurt to have another though. Matt Robertson is a guy I'm still interested in.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
The Dolly Parton of draft picks. :sarcasm:

Funny story: when I was quite young (3 or 4) I once told me mum that I love Dolly Parton. When she asked why, I said "big boobs."

I swear someone put that into my head (probably teenage neighbours), because I like bums better than boobs.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Funny story: when I was quite young (3 or 4) I once told me mum that I love Dolly Parton. When she asked why, I said "big boobs."

I swear someone put that into my head (probably teenage neighbours), because I like bums better than boobs.

LOL - if it was in the late seventies pr early eighties, it is all normal. :D

Good press so far!

Senators call Lassi up to NHL

https://thehockeywriters.com/lassi-thomson-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Senators land much-needed right-shot defenceman in Lassi Thomson - Sportsnet.ca

LOL - Sun filed under football

SENS’ NO. 1 PICK: Lassi Thomson surprised he didn’t have to play the waiting game

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I’m ok with the selection of the Swede from hell on wheels.
HOW_204_QA_ChristopherHeyerdahl_Lg.jpg

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
After seeing Colin Miller a ton in Vegas the last two seasons, Thomson sounds exactly like him. Maybe a little more puck rushing with Lassi, and more stretch passes from Colin. Also sounds a lot like Subban (playstyle comparison only)

30-40 point guy who can absolutely hammer the puck from the point, but gets lost from time to time and makes boneheaded defensive mistakes almost every game.

The more I read about him, the more i'm warming up to the pick. Should they have traded down at least 3-4 slots and most likely got him + a 3rd or whatever? Yeah. But i'm not going to fret over it. I see a 2nd pair, 2nd PP type trigger man.

I like the way the Sens are starting this rebuild in a very general sense. The blue line is stocked with prospects, mostly offensive and skating, and odds are good someone will turn into a starter in the goalie pool. They just need high end talent up front at center. If Brown isn't that guy, a pick at the very top of a stacked draft next year will fill that hole.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
Coached by Jason Smith. Here's the old Sens connection.

I like this pick. We're looking at lists and watching highlights but we don't know much about most players out of top ten.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Coached by Jason Smith. Here's the old Sens connection.

I like this pick. We're looking at lists and watching highlights but we don't know much about most players out of top ten.

Was. His Kelowna coach was Adam Foote in the second half of the season iirc. Smith was fired.

Finland has some good hockey, the 4th best pro league in the world, but I hope Lassi's decision is reversible and he can go back to Kelowna.

If Kelowna got their shit together to actually compete for the Memorial Cup, or even just the playoffs, that's where I would want Thomson.

Under a full year of Foote's tutelage, I think Lassi's defensive game would develop by leaps and bounds. It's very common for a young puck rusher to be a hot mess in the defensive zone. I think Foote would help him pick his spots better and clean up the positioning, which is absolutely key if he wants to reach his potential.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I kinda get drafting a RHD with a bomb of a shot,but from reading here he may have some issues with other big parts of his game...I agree with the group that we drafted for need rather than the BPA

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
As long as the rumoured turnovers or “boneheaded plays” don’t stick around in his game then he could be a great fit.
I wouldn’t take a chance on a guy who makes frequent questionable decisions defensively over a player who always makes the right play though. So will be watching for this.
He has to be better than bjornfot at least

Last edited:

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't quite understand the hate for this guy right now.

I remember when many were upset we drafted Chabot and didn't get his d partner Zboril . Or how we took White and passed on Koneckny .

You can go further back to Karlsson , Hossa etc The list goes on.

I think we need to give the scouts some credit and see how Lassi progresses .

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I honestly don't mind the pick. Thomson is a good player, it just hurts a little because of the 3 players who went right before him.

Yeah, you could read on the faces of the guys at our table that a couple of players they hoped might fall to them had just been snapped up. Anyone who has ever drafted a fantasy team can relate. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad