Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't quite understand the hate for this guy right now.

I remember when many were upset we drafted Chabot and didn't get his d partner Zboril . Or how we took White and passed on Koneckny .

You can go further back to Karlsson , Hossa etc The list goes on.

I think we need to give the scouts some credit and see how Lassi progresses .

I remember people upset that we passed on Couturier for Zibanejad, as well as when we selected Lazar over Mantha, Bowers over Tolvanen, and of course when we traded the 16th pick for Rundblad instead of drafting Tarasenko.

It goes both ways. Sens scouts have been hit or miss in the 1st round, and do not deserve blind faith in their decisions.

Reactions: Icelevel

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I remember people upset that we passed on Couturier for Zibanejad, as well as when we selected Lazar over Mantha, Bowers over Tolvanen, and of course when we traded the 16th pick for Rundblad instead of drafting Tarasenko.

It goes both ways. Sens scouts have been hit or miss in the 1st round, and do not deserve blind faith in their decisions.

Well i certainly didnt say blind faith.

As far as the picks, Couturier slight edge over Zib.

Lazar over Mantha is an obvious one. I too was in the Mantha group.

Too early to say about Bowers / Tolvanen.

We dont do Russians so obviously we were passing on Tarasenko. It is what it is.

Lassi looks like a top 4 D to me and that's decent value at 19.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012

Its amazing to me that both Couturier and Zibby have become pretty good players to the point where either turned out to be the right call but it doesn't matter now because we have neither.

Reactions: derriko

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Its amazing to me that both Couturier and Zibby have become pretty good players to the point where either turned out to be the right call but it doesn't matter now because we have neither.
I don’t think “either” was “the right call” because they were looking to trade zibanejad almost right away. Doubt that would have happened with couturier.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Well i certainly didnt say blind faith.

As far as the picks, Couturier slight edge over Zib.

Lazar over Mantha is an obvious one. I too was in the Mantha group.

Too early to say about Bowers / Tolvanen.

We dont do Russians so obviously we were passing on Tarasenko. It is what it is.

Lassi looks like a top 4 D to me and that's decent value at 19.

Couturier has a huge edge over Zibanejad. It's not even close. Couturier is better at pretty much everything.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I don't quite understand the hate for this guy right now.

I remember when many were upset we drafted Chabot and didn't get his d partner Zboril . Or how we took White and passed on Koneckny .

You can go further back to Karlsson , Hossa etc The list goes on.

I think we need to give the scouts some credit and see how Lassi progresses .

People get excited for goal scorers. They get disappointed when you draft a defenseman.
I am fine with it. My only concern is that we have a good track record drafting Europeans thanks to Ruutu, but Ruutu didnt scout Thomson. The guy that scouted Tychonick and Crookshank did.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Couturier has a huge edge over Zibanejad. It's not even close. Couturier is better at pretty much everything.

During their respective careers Couturier has been a 51/82 points player versus Zibanejad who has been a 49/82 points player. In their most recent year Zibanejad had 2 less points. In Zibanejad's playoff career he has produced more than Couturier on a per game basis. We may individually like or value players more but there is no huge edge.

Reactions: h2owned and DJB

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
During their respective careers Couturier has been a 51/82 points player versus Zibanejad who has been a 49/82 points player. In their most recent year Zibanejad had 2 less points. In Zibanejad's playoff career he has produced more than Couturier on a per game basis. We may individually like or value players more but there is no huge edge.

Not to mention Couts big year also coincides with playing with Giroux. Everyone who plays with Giroux has a big year.

Zib played with who exactly?

The thoughts that Couturier is significantly better than Zibanejad is sillyness.

Reactions: NB613 and R2010

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
People get excited for goal scorers. They get disappointed when you draft a defenseman.
I am fine with it. My only concern is that we have a good track record drafting Europeans thanks to Ruutu, but Ruutu didnt scout Thomson. The guy that scouted Tychonick and Crookshank did.

Well wouldn't Ruutu have seen him two years ago in Finland? Mann talked about how the scouts watch these guys before their D1 year so im guessing he was seen by our Euro scout.

R2010

May 23, 2011
Not to mention Couts big year also coincides with playing with Giroux. Everyone who plays with Giroux has a big year.

The thoughts that Couturier is significantly better than Zibanejad is sillyness.

Absolutely. Zibanejad was a good pick where we got him. People just get frustrated at the potential but realistically maybe he should have had to grow up a bit first before making the NHL instead of being in the league at 18, 19 and 20. Injury filled seasons at that. This is a guy that would have benefited from coming over and playing junior hockey post draft IMO.

Either way we made a brutal brutal trade.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Absolutely. Zibanejad was a good pick where we got him. People just get frustrated at the potential but realistically maybe he should have had to grow up a bit first before making the NHL instead of being in the league at 18, 19 and 20. Injury filled seasons at that. This is a guy that would have benefited from coming over and playing junior hockey post draft IMO.

Either way we made a brutal brutal trade.

All our trades have been to save $$$

Zibanejad - Due a contract dealt for cost controlled Brassard
Brassard - Dealt for picks and prospects when he needed a new contract
Turris - Needs new contract dealt for Duchene
Karlsson - Dealt because needed new contract
Duchene - Dealt because needed new contract
Stone - Dealt because needed new contract

If anyone that doest see the pattern here is either blind or ignorant.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Except with zibanejad there were rumours for a couple years he might be traded. Too much djing etc. Out of shape.
Was a real thing.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

He's a much better all around player.

Reactions: NB613 and derriko

h2

Mar 26, 2002
That Zibanejad trade still stings! Never liked it from the moment it was announced. Not sure how we ended up being the team swapping the higher pick either.

Reactions: NB613

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Ceci needs a contract. So does DeMelo. Our right side D at years end will be

Jaros
Boro
Boro’s Dad

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That Zibanejad trade still stings! Never liked it from the moment it was announced. Not sure how we ended up being the team swapping the higher pick either.
MISTAKE ... sign of things to come.. No sign of improvement

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Maybe we should stay on topic and talk about the kid we drafted

The sens have a nice stable of defensemen. Hoping for a top line fwd in the next draft if we finish last

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Maybe we should stay on topic and talk about the kid we drafted

The sens have a nice stable of defensemen. Hoping for a top line fwd in the next draft if we finish last

Good point .. At 19 if your looking or the best RHD on the board with the most skills this is the guy. If that's the priority and it very much looks like it was they got the right guy.

Reactions: Icelevel and HSF

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Good point .. At 19 if your looking or the best RHD on the board with the most skills this is the guy. If that's the priority and it very much looks like it was they got the right guy.
Yup and next year draft seems to have some high end forwards available early ( I know lots can change )

If we can secure a top line centre prospect we are looking decent

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Yup and next year draft seems to have some high end forwards available early ( I know lots can change )

If we can secure a top line centre prospect we are looking decent

Agree there. I think the next draft (and 2021) will determine what trajectory we take as a franchise for the next 5-10 years. We need to hit it out of the park.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad