Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's a much better all around player.

Away from the puck Couturier plays selke type defense, he's one of the best all around players in the league right now. His puck management is just better than Zibby, he plays smarter with and without the puck. Knows when to shoot or when to pass.

Comparing Zibanejad to Couturier is like comparing Stone to Tarasenko. Both are great, but Stone is better and plays smarter.

Reactions: Daffy

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
Why are we discussing Zib or couts being better. Ridiculous this is Lassi Thomson thread.

Kid is gonna be good. We got the guy we needed. RHD are a premium if you have not noticed. You will be surprised by this pick.

This thread will not age well. Not surprising. Want to make money. Read HF do the exact opposite the hive mind does. Per 100 bets, you will come out way ahead.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Can't speak for ISS, but his general decision making is the biggest issue I have with him.

Often tried low-percentage plays, was late identifying opportunities, and had some bad turnovers.

Having watched both extensively in their draft years, he reminds me of Madison Bowey.

Riverboat gambler type that could end up a top 4 D because of his skill and skating ability, but could also bust completely.

Now the big question is....is that because he needs time to adapt to the North American game, or is it a problem with vision/hockey IQ? One is fixed with time and reps, the other isn't.

Reactions: derriko

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The more I read about this guy the more I really like him. Fast rising RD with hockey sense, skating, and shot as his best assets? yes pls. He's also quite reliable defensively from many reports as many call him 2 way defender with great gap control. love it.

Chabot
Brannstrom
Lassi
JBD
Lajoie

we could have a nasty defense in couple years

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The more I read about this guy the more I really like him. Fast rising RD with hockey sense, skating, and shot as his best assets? yes pls. He's also quite reliable defensively from many reports as many call him 2 way defender with great gap control. love it.

Chabot
Brannstrom
Lassi
JBD
Lajoie

I'm not sure nasty is a word I would use.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

Chabot
Brannstrom
Lassi
JBD
Lajoie

From what I’ve read, hockey sense and defensive play are his biggest weaknesses.

I’m excited to see him play, though. Also hoping he goes back to Kelowna instead of Finland

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019
Interesting thread, Marc Bergevin’s draft list, in the prospect thread. Montreal was picking 15th, has a list to 15 and then a 1 to 6 list, perhaps in case they traded back. On the 1 to 6 list, Newhook was 1 and Thomson 2. Looks like Dorion wasn’t the only one high on Thomson, so maybe he wasn’t the reach we thought he was.

I have difficulty reading the list, but others suggest the heading of 1 to 6 list is “Could go before 15”.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Bergevin being high on Thomson is more of a red flag than anything.

Habs have been one of the worst drafting teams in the league over the past decade.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Id love to see some analysis on these guys who go earlier and later than expected and see what the historical record looks like.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Id love to see some analysis on these guys who go earlier and later than expected and see what the historical record looks like.
It’s a mixed bag.

For every Scheifele, Lindholm, and Wheeler you’ve got another Lee, Hickey, and Glennie.

Likewise for guys ranked earlier who slide.

Guys who are rising all year and go higher (Karlsson, Lindholm, Scheifele, Seider) have a much, much, much better track record than the guys who were rated higher but slip over the year resulting in a lower selection. Brandon Saad is the only guy I can think of off the top of my head who did that and ended up a very good pick.

Reactions: derriko

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
anyone else see this post from the prospects board. Montreal might have been high on Thomson as well.

This was obtained from the Behind the scenes video that surfaced today that showed them on the draft floor.

I just tweaked the photo slightly to make it easier to see. So far I'm pretty sure it looks like

1.Hughes
2.Kakko
3.Zegras
4.Byram
5.Turcotte
6.Krebs
7. Boldy
8.Podkolzin
9.Dach
10.Caufield
11.Seider

Here he writes

"Could go before 15"

12. Cozens
13. Broberg
14. Knight
15. Kaliyev

List on the right is separate. What I can make out is

1. Newhook
2. Thomson
3. Heinola
4. Harley
5. Soderstrom
6. Suzuki
7. York
8. Poulin

Minato is God also got this one which shows the left side in more detail.

I'll give credit to Viggo Mortensen for the idea.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any other examples of team lists getting out post draft? Is it surprising that the third overall pick is ranked 9 here? What about Cozens at 12 and Kaliyev at 15.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
It’s a mixed bag.

For every Scheifele, Lindholm, and Wheeler you’ve got another Lee, Hickey, and Glennie.

Likewise for guys ranked earlier who slide.

Guys who are rising all year and go higher (Karlsson, Lindholm, Scheifele, Seider) have a much, much, much better track record than the guys who were rated higher but slip over the year resulting in a lower selection. Brandon Saad is the only guy I can think of off the top of my head who did that and ended up a very good pick.

Barzal? I remember watching a summer showcase event, I think it was 2013, and they were saying he was going to be the next best player of the draft class after McDavid. TSN had him seventh in their pre-season rankings.

I found this from a Jan, 2001 HF article: "Jiri Hudler a potential top 5 pick in the 2002 draft..."

There are a few others at the tip of my tongue I can't quite seem to recall. One was a Swedish defenseman maybe?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Barzal? I remember watching a summer showcase event, I think it was 2013, and they were saying he was going to be the next best player of the draft class after McDavid. TSN had him seventh in their pre-season rankings.

I found this from a Jan, 2001 HF article, "Jiri Hudler, a potential top 5 pick in the 2002 draft..."

There are a few others at the tip of my tongue I can't quite seem to recall. One was a Swedish defenseman maybe?
Barzel was a faller in he same sense guys like Dobson and Gormley were. Fell ~7-10 spots in the first.

Kylington from 2015 is the D you are thinking of.

I was talking about guys who dipped completely, like Kylington, Saad and Khabanov

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Considering how success is bred in the new NHL, yes that is nasty. You're mistaking the word for old-fashioned.

The blues just pulled a big nasty D cup win. Playoffs are playoffs and unless your crazy stacked with skill up front, softies still have problems in the playoffs

devbouz12

Eugene's dad
Jan 15, 2012

Chabot
Brannstrom
Lassi
JBD
Lajoie

Wolanin? Hellooooo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad