Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The scout that picked cowen and lazar is still here.

At the time they looked like good picks though. People are always going to have other preferences.

I think Cowen was derailed by injury... and I think Lazar was rushed but he was a miss definitely but he fooled a lot of people.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
At the time they looked like good picks though. People are always going to have other preferences.

I think Cowen was derailed by injury... and I think Lazar was rushed but he was a miss definitely but he fooled a lot of people.
Cowen never had the hockey sense injury or not it was very obvious. After watching him in 2 wjcs I knew it. My post history is there if you wanna go waaaay back and check. Lazar poor hockey sense too and im reading Thomson lacks it as well. Maybe this scout cant identify it.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Cowen never had the hockey sense injury or not it was very obvious. After watching him in 2 wjcs I knew it. My post history is there if you wanna go waaaay back and check. Lazar poor hockey sense too and im reading Thomson lacks it as well. Maybe this scout cant identify it.
I don't doubt your word

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
If we had selected this guy with one of our 2nds I would have been disappointed.

Can't count the amount of times I've seen this guy pick up the puck and try to rush it through the entire team, fail and turn the puck over. Not a smart hockey player.

Maybe I'm wrong and his skill, speed and shot overcome his lack of sense, but I can't help but be disappointed with this pick.
Hopefully, he is learning what he can do against the talent level he is playing against. Wolanin seems to have a similar issue when he came up to the Senators and needed to learn to play within his capabilities and that of his opponents.

But I tend to agree that this pick was a reach given the consensus of the various rating services.

Reactions: aragorn

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I was unsure of the pick, but the guys I wanted ended up going much later or not at all so, I will trust the org. It seems like they want to stock up on young d that are still a couple years away meaning they will be rookies when we start the FYOUS.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa

Both of them had just above average meh carriers in WHL. That's where the scouts have to shine and they did not. They delivered first round busts to this organization.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
He’s probably a solid pick but it seems doubtful we landed that big time difference maker this team desperately needs. It’s ok though, he can be one of the pieces to the puzzle and wel find the elite talent later on in the rebuild.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I find it strange there was news he was going back there at the end of the season.. before the draft. Not sure for the reasoning. I just thought he's want to wait until after the draft and discuss with the team drafting him. I agree it should be fine for his development there. Pros and Cons.

There's really no cons with this, considering the point where his development is. The coach at Ilves is Karri Kivi, the same guy who coached Finland to the 2014 WJC gold. He has a good reputation of developing players at Ilves.

Last edited:
Reactions: Variable26

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
2009 NHL entry draft was extremely weak outside of the first 4 picks. But still Ottawa could pick Ryan Ellis or Kyle Palmieri. Curtis Lazar was picked in 2013 before Anthony Mantha a 57 goal scorer in the Q and 120 points. Comparing Lazar's mediocre WHL time with Mantha's pure excellence. I do not even think sometimes we have scouts. Now Dorion will not go again for a 50 goal scorer, but will go for mediocrity.

Last edited:

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I think Dorion probably tried to move up but the prices were too high

I feel like when Sakic smirked at the Camera after he took Newhook it was directed towards us.

Then Krebs, then Harley. It must have been rough for our scouts watching three of our presumably top six ranked prospects go directly before our pick.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I feel like when Sakic smirked at the Camera after he took Newhook it was directed towards us.

Then Krebs, then Harley. It must have been rough for our scouts watching three of our presumably top six ranked prospects go directly before our pick.

Other teams probably hacked our laptops prior to draft day. They know Ottawa has the best scouts. :sarcasm:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Joo...imma gonna need these lyrics translated mmkay?!

This is the song they actually played at the draft (tarkenee = warm enough):

If you've paid any attention to international hockey, then you will have heard this song from the same act a lot in the past couple of years since it's used by all the national teams (men, juniors, women) now as the goal song:

Reactions: chipsens

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Head Western scout from ISS had this to say about Thompson:

Smooth high skill dman that'll take a year in Finland, should then go AHL and turn into a 3/4 with top PP time

Quick pace puck carrier with a heavy shot, capable of using backhand off rush

Pros
- fluid skater
- heavy shot
- keeps his head up

Cons
- passes need more velocity
- struggled grasping anything beyond 1v1 d coverage

Reactions: NB613

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
This is the song they actually played at the draft (tarkenee = warm enough):

If you've paid any attention to international hockey, then you will have heard this song from the same act a lot in the past couple of years since it's used by all the national teams (men, juniors, women) now as the goal song:

Been playing this stuff all morning. It's awesome. Lassi is bringing more than just hockey to Ottawa.

:devdance::pickle::dumbo::banana:

Reactions: chipsens

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Cowen and Lazar were bad picks at the time, not just in hindsight.

They were low upside players touted as "safe" because they had an advanced defensive game for their age. Bowers fits this mold as well.

Scouting staff has made a lot of errors in the 1st round over the years. It's typically day 2 where they shine.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Head Western scout from ISS had this to say about Thompson:

Smooth high skill dman that'll take a year in Finland, should then go AHL and turn into a 3/4 with top PP time

Quick pace puck carrier with a heavy shot, capable of using backhand off rush

Pros
- fluid skater
- heavy shot
- keeps his head up

Cons
- passes need more velocity
- struggled grasping anything beyond 1v1 d coverage

Did they expand on the bolded at all? What exactly did he have a problem with? Decision making? Strength? Working with his partner? Switching targets on the fly?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad