Prospect Info: Lassi Thomson, Defence, 19th Overall

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Probably the right move for lassi in the future bad move for the sens right now

That's the way I see it as well.

I am excited to see how this helps him grow his game in the AHL. He now has a taste of the NHL, so you know he would be hungry for more! I think he has a bright future with the club, if he can bring offence he can be that 2RD this organization is missing.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Can't be shite for Wright if we play our good young players too much. Gotta get Zaitsev and JBrown some more minutes or we might win too many games.
Ouch. Is JBrown the one that’s likely going to draw back in on the right side? The team has been so much better without him.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Ouch. Is JBrown the one that’s likely going to draw back in on the right side? The team has been so much better without him.
PD said in his press conference the other day that J.Brown is out till mid January. Probably the great MDZ will take his place lol

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I think he can apply what he has learned up here and work on his game. Either way, I think we can safely say that his play was mostly a surprise and definitely someone that will help this team moving forward. There was a time in his first season where Coach Mann openly questioned his ability, and glad Lassi has shown what he can do.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Lassi got a deserved stint, but he is worse defensively than Mete, for example. Lassi is smart and knows what to do when he has the puck (and looks really good), but he doesn't fully grasp where to be when he doesn't have the puck. He regularly leaves the front of the net open and is beatable on the rush. He is pretty good at stripping players of the puck, almost Stone-esque. I don't really know his ceiling, but it's still early for him to stay in the NHL. The alarmists are being silly, this is necessary.

Reactions: Agent Zub

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
He's one of our best 6 dmen, but Id rather he spend time working with Mann and playing 20+ mins a night than pick up bad habits playing up here.
This. He's going to come back from BSens knowing exactly what it takes and should have a ton of confidence. Give him some time to work on his game without being under a microscope. He also has better hands and a better shot than I realized.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Keep him away from our awful defense. The season is a tank season and no point in ruining Thomson's development. Let him play 20+ minutes and use what he learned in Belleville to dominate. Having said that, he'll probably be called up asap given our injury luck this year

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
He's one of our best 6 dmen, but Id rather he spend time working with Mann and playing 20+ mins a night than pick up bad habits playing up here.

All very true. Plus, you can't have him outplaying millions of dollars of D that Dorion acquired and is sitting in the press box, that shit looks bad.

Reactions: Cosmix and cudi

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Hey, don't knock Belleville it's a nice small Canadian city. ;)

Thomson looks ready to me & it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a permanent player in Ottawa next season. My guess is that they should be losing J. Brown & Mete by the end of the season & could buy out MDZ. That should leave some room for at least a couple of new D for next season which IMO includes Sanderson LD & Thomson RD, just in time. Brann probably plays full time next yr too.

I assume once Zaitsev is either traded or bought out that JBD could be ready to replace him, but I doubt they do anything with Zaitsev for another yr or two. I'm also hoping they draft one of those two RD (I prefer Jiricek, he seems meaner) with their 1st rd pick to solidify this defence for the next decade.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hey, don't knock Belleville it's a nice small Canadian city.

Thomson looks ready to me & it wouldn't surprise me if he becomes a permanent player in Ottawa next season. My guess is that they should be losing J. Brown & Mete by the end of the season & could buy out MDZ. That should leave some room for at least a couple of new D for next season which IMO includes Sanderson LD & Thomson RD, just in time. Brann probably plays full time next yr too.

I assume once Zaitsev is either traded or bought out that JBD could be ready to replace him, but I doubt they do anything with Zaitsev for another yr or two. I'm also hoping they draft one of those two RD (I prefer Jiricek, he seems meaner) with their 1st rd pick to solidify this defence for the next decade.
I don't knock Belleville; many friends from there.. I took it as a joke. Thomson looked really good today vs the Ducks and has looked good previously.
He got off to a rough start in Belleville and had a tough year in his D+2 in Finland.. Mann pretty much said this. Great to see him get the coaching and the opportunities to start putting it all together. Maybe, like with Jarventie we bring guys over earlier. Lassi might have really benefitted from not going over there at all.

Not making any bets on Zaitsev. DJ talks him up every chance he gets. Jiricek would be a fine pick.

Reactions: aragorn

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
He is really smart with the puck on his stick. Finally we are starting to develop other dmen around Chabot and not just letting him do it all like we did with Karlsson.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I don't knock Belleville; many friends from there.. I took it as a joke. Thomson looked really good today vs the Ducks and has looked good previously.
He got off to a rough start in Belleville and had a tough year in his D+2 in Finland.. Mann pretty much said this. Great to see him get the coaching and the opportunities to start putting it all together. Maybe, like with Jarventie we bring guys over earlier. Lassi might have really benefitted from not going over there at all.

Not making any bets on Zaitsev. DJ talks him up every chance he gets. Jiricek would be a fine pick.
I was just kidding you about Belleville. ;)

Jiricek also has the size & is already playing with men & could join Belleville next yr which would further his development too. Hopefully, he is recovering from that knee injury & they end up in a position to draft him. They also have the assets to move up to get him.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
December 2020

As a player who was always going to leave for the NHL when it resumed, Lassi wasn't getting prime opportunities in Ilves' line-up, so this move is perfect and permanent as he is already signed to ELC. He is such a project, but already looks to possess a heavy NHL shot from the blueline as a right handed defenceman. I have been/am preaching patience with this kid - it might take a minute but I have faith in Troy Mann to get the best out of him. Belleville will be a good team for prospect development once again, their on-ice performance dependent on how many key guys they lose to Ottawa/taxi squad.

October 2019

I voted for Lassi cuz I really and truly want him to succeed. He needs to move to North America and under Mann's tutelage when North American pro leagues start. His development will be stunted at the current rate in Finland.

I picked RJ Boom Boom Jarventie along with Sokolov as potential steals, and right now RJ is trending upwards while Lassi rides the pine.

I am encouraged by Lassi's progression, he's trending towards being a top-4 defenceman and a potential RD to Chabot.

Last edited:

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I was just kidding you about Belleville. ;)

Jiricek also has the size & is already playing with men & could join Belleville next yr which would further his development too. Hopefully, he is recovering from that knee injury & they end up in a position to draft him. They also have the assets to move up to get him.

Went to school in Belleville. Its def an interesting place to live lol. Ran into so many Bulls players at the club cuz there were only 2 of em in town. PK was elite on the dancefloor.

back to Thomson, he just keeps making my initial take on him looking like a bust look dumb as shit. Keep it up Lassi. Make me look as dumb as possible plz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad