Las Vegas AHL affiliate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
And to be honest with regards to your comments on the Wolves...truthfully would rather you just dont talk about them at all. Heard from an old friend of yours recently said to say hi to you so....Hello from the meadowlands giants and jets oh and the anaheim angels said hi also

That's funny because I had recently heard from some of his old friends too. Warmest greetings from the Bridgeview Fire, Kanata Senators, Foxborough Patriots, Foxborough Revolution, Auburn Hills Pistons, Cumberland Braves, Orchard Park Bills, Arlington Cowboys, Arlington Rangers, Landover Redskins, Santa Clara 49ers, St. Petersburg Rays, Carson Galaxy, and Chester Union.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
David Andrews himself said a 31st franchise was a possibility for next year, an expansion team, but mid-March was really the deadline for it happening, and if it were to pass, it would've been in the Midwestern U.S. and NOT been in the KC market.

I understand that came close to happening, but did not. It would've been an expansion franchise but NOT owned by an NHL team, and it aligned pretty close to Andrews' comments. It's likely the AHL will expand to 31 teams in 2018.

If you would be so kind as to go back thru this thread and read my MULTIPLE post in this topic, I think we could save a lot of time.

Yes...it was possible that a 31st franchise couldve been in play in 17-18...it's still possible but highly unlikely, with almost zero chance of happening.

Yes....it will be an EXPANSION team of sorts.

No...Nowhere was there an ironclad deadline ever announced...leaked or otherwise... and with the amount of information that gets out ahead of official announcements...

Yes...Andrews said it would be located in the mid-west but never said where obviously...and did say that the AHL wasn't going to KC this coming season...reading what I said in an earlier post which was that according to someone who lives in KC and works high up in an NHL organization...KC is a dead topic now and going forward...it NEVER came close to happening as KC is OUT period. All Andrews was doing by even mentioning KC was to acknowledge the rumors that were out there at the time and shoot them down.

NO!!!!!!!!!!...NOWHERE was it ever said that it would be a team not owned by an NHL team. Not in any interview Dave Andrews has given on the topic was that even remotely stated. It's ,of course, always possible that they will be independently owned, but with the current trend of NHL teams owning their affiliate....
I have to ask you and everyone else who keeps bringing up this 31st team...IF they are not an NHL team owned franchise...How is St. Louis going to move their farm team to KC? That's like me saying I'm going to move your house to Chicago...If I don't own it thats going to be pretty hard for me to do.

In 2018-2019 the AHL will have 31 teams no question 100% guaranteed.

Futhermore like I have said MULTIPLE times this is how I expect it all to play out this offseason regarding St. Louis and Vegas...Vegas will partner with the Chicago Wolves...100%

St. Louis will share San Antonio with Colorado for 17-18

Colorado will buy 31st franchise and move their players out of San Antonio and into the state of colorado for the 18-19 season...leaving St. Louis to take over San Antonio.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
That's funny because I had recently heard from some of his old friends too. Warmest greetings from the Bridgeview Fire, Kanata Senators, Foxborough Patriots, Foxborough Revolution, Auburn Hills Pistons, Cumberland Braves, Orchard Park Bills, Arlington Cowboys, Arlington Rangers, Landover Redskins, Santa Clara 49ers, St. Petersburg Rays, Carson Galaxy, and Chester Union.

HEY!!!!!!!! I know those guys

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It's so you're not competing against that NFL owner for sponsorship deals.

Aren't you competing against all of the Pro teams in any city for sponsorship money, no matter who owns them??

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Sure. But I'm not the one that has the rule, so I'm sure the NFL would love to hear from you about it. :laugh:

Somehow I doubt it...lol Funny this topic came up and today there was a comment on the crawl on ESPN about how Terry Pegula owner of the Buffalo Bills was travelng to NC to look at a qb. I'm sure this isnt the same guy who owns the Sabres....lol afterall rules are rules right?

Why have the rule if they are going to ignore it lol

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Somehow I doubt it...lol Funny this topic came up and today there was a comment on the crawl on ESPN about how Terry Pegula owner of the Buffalo Bills was travelng to NC to look at a qb. I'm sure this isnt the same guy who owns the Sabres....lol afterall rules are rules right?

Why have the rule if they are going to ignore it lol

Well, the Sabres and Bills are in the same market, so that wouldn't be against the NFL rule.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Is Colorado far west enough that the "NHL club must own the AHL team" rule applies?

There is no rule that the NHL club must own the AHL team. Never has been.

ok, we're having the same discussion on a facebook page, is there any truth that the Blues might eventually place a team in Springfield, MO?, even if they land Hunt and the KC Mavs.

Vegas would go to Rosemont (I'll never, ever, call Levin's team a Chicago team).

Do us all a favor, never talk about the Wolves. Either call them by their name Chicago Wolves or don't talk about them at all.

And the Green Bay Packers used to play half their games in Milwaukee for years. So they would have been the Milbay Packers or the Greenaukee Packers?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
There is no rule that the NHL club must own the AHL team. Never has been.

Do us all a favor, never talk about the Wolves. Either call them by their name Chicago Wolves or don't talk about them at all.

And the Green Bay Packers used to play half their games in Milwaukee for years. So they would have been the Milbay Packers or the Greenaukee Packers?

Tommy he can't help it.....He's jealous because the Wolves have won more calder cups in just 15 years than Portland did in their entire existance. Not too mention that they don't play hockey in Portland anymore and so now he has a lot of time on his hands since he's no longer running the pirates and the AHL all at once.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Tommy he can't help it.....He's jealous because the Wolves have won more calder cups in just 15 years than Portland did in their entire existance. Not too mention that they don't play hockey in Portland anymore and so now he has a lot of time on his hands since he's no longer running the pirates and the AHL all at once.
Hey Axe - (Coming in Peace)... I get what you're saying about Chicago. You are usually right on point as well because you keep your ear to the ground and you'll get no argument from me about Hutch. He's an (fill in the appropriate expletive). I think anybody who has had to deal with him understands that fact, but out of respect of others, can we lay off the whole Portland Pirates are gone, they sucked, my team is better mantra. A lot of good people lost their jobs because they left. Including yours truly so its a bit of a sore spot with me.

Thanks and good luck in the playoffs.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
Thanks for pointing out my error. I thought I read somewhere that western (68-game) teams had to be owned by the parent club, but I must have imagined it.

Actually, that is true. Part of the deal worked out between the NHL Pacific teams and the AHL was they needed own their AHL club in order to relocate it out west and play 68 games. Tommy is right otherwise.... There is no other restriction for the rest of the league.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Hey Axe - (Coming in Peace)... I get what you're saying about Chicago. You are usually right on point as well because you keep your ear to the ground and you'll get no argument from me about Hutch. He's an (fill in the appropriate expletive). I think anybody who has had to deal with him understands that fact, but out of respect of others, can we lay off the whole Portland Pirates are gone, they sucked, my team is better mantra. A lot of good people lost their jobs because they left. Including yours truly so its a bit of a sore spot with me.

Thanks and good luck in the playoffs.

Sorry Cat...no disrespect intended and as always you know the score regarding voldemort..lol. And believe me its not a portland sucked mantra or anything of a sort because some damn good hockey players came out of that city. It's basically a tired of hutch trying his level best to marginalize the CHICAGO Wolves and the people like me who follow them. After awhile it gets old and you fire back...unfortunately there tends to be collateral damage in the process. Again no disrespect and hope things shake out to where there is hockey of some sort there again...ECHL?? then maybe voldemort can go and irritate those people for awhile...Thanks for the Luck

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Thanks for pointing out my error. I thought I read somewhere that western (68-game) teams had to be owned by the parent club, but I must have imagined it.

There is still no rule that the NHL team must own the AHL team for the Pacific Division, see San Antonio. The NHL teams were told that if you wanted your team closer, i.e. west coast, you needed to buy the team and move it. So they did.

Sorry Cat...no disrespect intended and as always you know the score regarding voldemort..lol. And believe me its not a portland sucked mantra or anything of a sort because some damn good hockey players came out of that city. It's basically a tired of hutch trying his level best to marginalize the CHICAGO Wolves and the people like me who follow them. After awhile it gets old and you fire back...unfortunately there tends to be collateral damage in the process. Again no disrespect and hope things shake out to where there is hockey of some sort there again...ECHL?? then maybe voldemort can go and irritate those people for awhile...Thanks for the Luck

Sorry wildcat about losing your job. Yes it sucks that it occurs that the jobs are lost there but there were also jobs created in the new place. The way you hear it on this board though there are going to be thousands of AHL teams scattered all across the country and they can move up and down leagues at their whim.

I can tell you that I have been to many ECHL games and I have just as much fun at those as I do at the AHL games. I hope the ECHL comes to Portland, ME and you get a job with them.

Last edited:

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
I get it... It can be a 'head banging against the wall' sort of thing.

wildcat48

Jul 16, 2005
Portland, Maine
There is still no rule that the NHL team must own the AHL team for the Pacific Division, see San Antonio. The NHL teams were told that if you wanted your team closer, i.e. west coast, you needed to buy the team and move it. So they did.

Sorry wildcat about losing your job. Yes it sucks that it occurs that the jobs are lost there but there were also jobs created in the new place. The way you hear it on this board though there are going to be thousands of AHL teams scattered all across the country and they can move up and down leagues at their whim.

I can tell you that I have been to many ECHL games and I have just as much fun at those as I do at the AHL games. I hope the ECHL comes to Portland, ME and you get a job with them.
Yeah... I'm not sure what the future might hold for me within the hockey world. Everything sort happens for a reason they say so maybe this is just part of the plan... I also get what you're saying about people's imaginations about where AHL teams are going to be located. I chuckle at it at time because its not how the league works, but people don't seem to understand that fact. 1+1 doesn't equal three no matter how bad somebody wants to make it so.

As for the ECHL in Portland... I think it might be a better overall fit in the long run because the team will go back to being Portland's team and not a developmental team of X NHL affiliate. I think people were tired of paying money to see games with no hope of winning a championship because the NHL team was more focused solely on development than winning especially when there is zero connection to the NHL affiliate and Boston was/is never going to come to Portland in the AHL.... As for the ECHL... We'll see in two years after Portland gets a team back.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Why couldn't Colorado be granted the 31st team and play them locally either at the Pepsi Center or 1st Bank center (which Kroenke owns) until they find a more permanent location for 18-19? Kroenke might be frugal but he has endless money, he seems to prefer owning the facility where his teams play. I don't see why he would "need" to take over the Eagles and the arena they play in. I also don't see why they'd have to share in SA when they own and have access to arenas in Denver.

Avs and Blues sharing in SA would be a nightmare and Blues farming out their players to many different teams doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the one for one league that Andrews wants.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Why couldn't Colorado be granted the 31st team and play them locally either at the Pepsi Center or 1st Bank center (which Kroenke owns) until they find a more permanent location for 18-19? Kroenke might be frugal but he has endless money, he seems to prefer owning the facility where his teams play. I don't see why he would "need" to take over the Eagles and the arena they play in. I also don't see why they'd have to share in SA when they own and have access to arenas in Denver.

Avs and Blues sharing in SA would be a nightmare and Blues farming out their players to many different teams doesn't seem to be in the spirit of the one for one league that Andrews wants.

that seems to be the consensus direction I keep hearing but the cryptic thing is are the Blues willing to go to San Antonio and allow Vegas to field a full affiliation....

it might be too late for Colorado to file an application for next season, if they indeed want Fort Collins or are the Eagles even interested in moving up a la the rumors w/ Missouri?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Yeah... I'm not sure what the future might hold for me within the hockey world. Everything sort happens for a reason they say so maybe this is just part of the plan... I also get what you're saying about people's imaginations about where AHL teams are going to be located. I chuckle at it at time because its not how the league works, but people don't seem to understand that fact. 1+1 doesn't equal three no matter how bad somebody wants to make it so.

As for the ECHL in Portland... I think it might be a better overall fit in the long run because the team will go back to being Portland's team and not a developmental team of X NHL affiliate. I think people were tired of paying money to see games with no hope of winning a championship because the NHL team was more focused solely on development than winning especially when there is zero connection to the NHL affiliate and Boston was/is never going to come to Portland in the AHL.... As for the ECHL... We'll see in two years after Portland gets a team back.

Boston's PHILOSOPHY from 1988-TO THE END of 1991 caused the original franchise to go to Providence, Trustee Board didn't help matters then or at other various times, but totally agree with this, I noticed though that Stockton actually is the active AHL franchise that was granted to Spectra as it's now known as back in 1977, that was awarded to PHI, that started all of the fascination and love of hockey we developed for 38 of the last 4 decades we were active as a franchise.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007

Nobody says that it can't happen this off season...but a couple of things come to mind...First off the AHL has already said they want to get the schedule out in early July not mid to late august like in past years and have finally told the NBA arena teams that its no longer fair to hold up 28 other teams to satisfy 2. So there has to be an answer already as to what to do about the schedule...yes they can make up multiple versions but in the end they want something to be done yesterday rather than later.

Also to be perfectly honest...the Colorado Avalanche are in such disarray right now both on and off the ice with regards to player personal and direction that they really do need a year to get their **** together before thinking about adding an AHL franchise to the stable.

As for the Blues...I truly believe that they cooked their own goose by adamantly telling everyone they never wanted to own an AHL franchise and only bought Peoria because it was part of the package to buy the Blues. Thus causing them to sell the peoria team to Vancouver a few years ago...I believe that the AHL has or will take the stance that " you couldn't wait to get rid of your franchise a few years ago and now you want to change your mind because it didnt go like you wanted??? No you can wait." That is why the whole Kansas City thing is dead in the water...even when the blues owned their franchise they couldn't work out a way to play in KC and tried for about 5 years to find a way...Now they dont own it and KC has said its a dead issue.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
We'll see but it seems to be status quo in the Colorado front office. It's not like they are busy making a bunch of changes.

I could have seen it if Vegas had to share for a year somewhere or in Chicago but making two fully functioning AHL teams share together sounds like a horrible idea. Which coaching staff gets a leg up? I can already imagine the fight for whose prospects get development time and St Louis and Colorado are division rivals. I know the Avs are crap but the solution isn't to give their prospects even less development opportunity. Wouldn't shock me if they pulled them and sent them to Colorado Eagles if it got bad enough. That just does not seem like a solution at all when they are a third party to this. It would make more sense if the Blues just had to farm their prospects around for a year.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO

I think that's a good point about Kroenke not having to need to take over the Eagles. I don't think he could take over the arena anyway, unless Larimer County wanted to sell their cash cow. And the more I think about it, I'm not sure the Eagles owner wants to sell or move up. Just some coincidental things that kind of make me wonder.
But the Pepsi Center would be a temporary thing. 1st Bank would have to have major rennovations to the locker rooms (no big deal), but hockey didn't work there before. Plus 1st Bank makes more money doing what it does now than it ever would with hockey. Colorado Springs already has CC and Air Force. Denver Colliseum is too old for AHL hockey without major rennovations. Unless Kroenke wants to build a new stadium that really leaves only the Eagles. If the Avs want to own an AHL franchise, I'm sure they would like to have it somewhere that they wouldn't have to worry about attendance or moving, and that's Loveland.
I know I'm reading alot into this, but I enjoy the speculation.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
We'll see but it seems to be status quo in the Colorado front office. It's not like they are busy making a bunch of changes.

I could have seen it if Vegas had to share for a year somewhere or in Chicago but making two fully functioning AHL teams share together sounds like a horrible idea. Which coaching staff gets a leg up? I can already imagine the fight for whose prospects get development time and St Louis and Colorado are division rivals. I know the Avs are crap but the solution isn't to give their prospects even less development opportunity. Wouldn't shock me if they pulled them and sent them to Colorado Eagles if it got bad enough. That just does not seem like a solution at all when they are a third party to this. It would make more sense if the Blues just had to farm their prospects around for a year.

The Eagles would eat this up, especially if they were moving to the A the year after. How many pro prospects outside of the NHL team will the Avs have next year? 25 or so? 5 or 6 best players in San Antonio and around 15 with the Eagles? Why not! :yo: Unfortunately I can't see the Avs getting even near this outside the box thinking. Again, huge speculation on my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad