Las Vegas AHL affiliate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
Does Vegas have to have an AHL affiliate for next season? Talk about where it will be has been quiet since they have announced the team name. Lots of West Coast cities deserving of a hockey team that could possibly be locations for Vegas AHL. I'd assume they would get it done before the expansion draft.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Does Vegas have to have an AHL affiliate for next season? Talk about where it will be has been quiet since they have announced the team name. Lots of West Coast cities deserving of a hockey team that could possibly be locations for Vegas AHL. I'd assume they would get it done before the expansion draft.
They don't have to, but they have said they will, and the AHL commissioner has said they will. I would think they probably have it all worked out and are waiting for the end of the AHL playoffs to make the announcement. I don't think the date of the expansion draft is particularly meaningful in regards to when they announce their AHL plans.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They don't have to, but they have said they will, and the AHL commissioner has said they will. I would think they probably have it all worked out and are waiting for the end of the AHL playoffs to make the announcement. I don't think the date of the expansion draft is particularly meaningful in regards to when they announce their AHL plans.

Chicago still is playing, too, even though it's widely been known that's where Vegas is landing, the question is now, where does St. Louis land next, if we also know that the 32nd franchise isn't on the agenda for 2018/19, based off what the hiccup was vis a vis Missouri/KC.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Chicago still is playing, too, even though it's widely been known that's where Vegas is landing, the question is now, where does St. Louis land next, if we also know that the 32nd franchise isn't on the agenda for 2018/19, based off what the hiccup was vis a vis Missouri/KC.

There was NO hiccup...KC was NEVER on the agenda or in play. All Andrews did, when mentioning them, was to quite the groundswell of outlandish rumors of people who thought they knew something and reality knew less than nothing.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
To me, the big question is whether Foley wants to own an AHL team - I know a lot (not all) of the NHL teams like to own their AHL affiliate, so as long as Foley doesn't mind someone else owning them then he may as well aim for Chicago. I get the feeling the Vegas affiliation is going to be linked to the Blues as a result, so it's just a matter of finding a new team for STL to hook up with. The talk of Kansas City fizzled out, but I'm wondering if there's a chance it could be re-ignited under a different premise:

- Instead of bringing an AHL team to KC in addition to the ECHL team that plays in the suburbs on the Missouri side, why not find a way to "relocate" the ECHL team somewhere else close to St. Louis (Peoria, St. Charles) and then give Lamar Hunt and co. an AHL expansion team that will keep the same name (Kansas City Mavericks) and play at the same arena?

The Sprint Center isn't going to want to give up their dates (many of which go to sold-out concerts) to an AHL team that may or may not draw very well. Keeping the AHL team in Independence would make more sense - it's somewhat small, but still adequate by AHL standards.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
To me, the big question is whether Foley wants to own an AHL team - I know a lot (not all) of the NHL teams like to own their AHL affiliate, so as long as Foley doesn't mind someone else owning them then he may as well aim for Chicago. I get the feeling the Vegas affiliation is going to be linked to the Blues as a result, so it's just a matter of finding a new team for STL to hook up with. The talk of Kansas City fizzled out, but I'm wondering if there's a chance it could be re-ignited under a different premise:

- Instead of bringing an AHL team to KC in addition to the ECHL team that plays in the suburbs on the Missouri side, why not find a way to "relocate" the ECHL team somewhere else close to St. Louis (Peoria, St. Charles) and then give Lamar Hunt and co. an AHL expansion team that will keep the same name (Kansas City Mavericks) and play at the same arena?

The Sprint Center isn't going to want to give up their dates (many of which go to sold-out concerts) to an AHL team that may or may not draw very well. Keeping the AHL team in Independence would make more sense - it's somewhat small, but still adequate by AHL standards.

the Mavericks aren't moving up, SG, THEY'RE staying in Independence, they shot that down months ago, and the AHL isn't coming to Sprint Center nor KC....

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
the Mavericks aren't moving up, SG, THEY'RE staying in Independence, they shot that down months ago, and the AHL isn't coming to Sprint Center nor KC....

Hutch be right again!! Wow.

Since no one has stepped up, publicly anyway, with interest in the 31st AHL franchise, someone is going to share an affiliation or affiliations. The thing about the Wolves is they will go out and sign talent in order to fill out the roster if Vegas does not have enough players for them.

So, until the almighty Axe updates us after he interrogates Andrews next time he sees him, I am going with his take on things. KC areas is out of the picture for the AHL.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Hutch be right again!! Wow.

Since no one has stepped up, publicly anyway, with interest in the 31st AHL franchise, someone is going to share an affiliation or affiliations. The thing about the Wolves is they will go out and sign talent in order to fill out the roster if Vegas does not have enough players for them.

So, until the almighty Axe updates us after he interrogates Andrews next time he sees him, I am going with his take on things. KC areas is out of the picture for the AHL.

According to McPhee, as stated in this thread, Vegas will share an affiliate next year. This creates a curious situation since now who affiliates in chicago with vegas?
Tommy...I did see dave andrews at a couple of the charlotte games in the first series and laid out the scenario of Vegas/Chicago and then St. Louis-Colorado/ San Antonio ...he just looked at me and smiled...then said he couldnt say anything. But now with this recent development I will amend my thoughts to go like this...In 17-18 the Vegas Golden Knights affiliate with Chicago...St. Louis also sends players to Chicago next year creating a one year bridge for Colorado in San Antonio.Then in 18-19 Colorado buys 31st franchise and moves their team to Golden Co. St Louis then takes over San Antonio. This gives all 3 teams a chance to get their ducks in a row...Colorado to get their house in order before buying the franchise...Gives St Louis a place to put their players next year and gives Vegas another full year to get their minor league stockpile strengthened.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
According to McPhee, as stated in this thread, Vegas will share an affiliate next year. This creates a curious situation since now who affiliates in chicago with vegas?
Tommy...I did see dave andrews at a couple of the charlotte games in the first series and laid out the scenario of Vegas/Chicago and then St. Louis-Colorado/ San Antonio ...he just looked at me and smiled...then said he couldnt say anything. But now with this recent development I will amend my thoughts to go like this...In 17-18 the Vegas Golden Knights affiliate with Chicago...St. Louis also sends players to Chicago next year creating a one year bridge for Colorado in San Antonio.Then in 18-19 Colorado buys 31st franchise and moves their team to Golden Co. St Louis then takes over San Antonio. This gives all 3 teams a chance to get their ducks in a row...Colorado to get their house in order before buying the franchise...Gives St Louis a place to put their players next year and gives Vegas another full year to get their minor league stockpile strengthened.

Golden is an interesting thought. But where would they play?

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

Hmmm...very interesting. Although this quote jumped out at me:
The Avs currently have a contract with the Rampage to continue operations for the coming season, but it’s unclear if the agreement extends beyond that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this Year 2 of a 5-year affiliation between the Avalanche and San Antonio? https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/avalanche-announces-new-ahl-affiliation/c-763805

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Hmmm...very interesting. Although this quote jumped out at me:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this Year 2 of a 5-year affiliation between the Avalanche and San Antonio? https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/avalanche-announces-new-ahl-affiliation/c-763805

Like I said...also I'm sure that there would be an out clause in the deal, espeially if the current club were to help find it's replacement club and it all certainly fits into the time frame and timeline that I already outlined.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The guy who wrote the article isn't the most aware of how the minor leagues work and the particulars of such. However, he's the most connected reporter in Denver and I know he made some phone calls. I know the idea that the Blues were going to locate a franchise somewhere in KC was shot down as crap but I don't know where the article got this then.

The Avalanche currently has an AHL affiliation with the San Antonio Rampage, but that may change after this coming season, if not sooner. The St. Louis Blues, currently in an expiring AHL affiliation with the Chicago Wolves, are said to be searching for a new affiliate city of their own after a planned move to Kansas City, Mo., at Kemper Arena fell through earlier this year.

I think it's pretty clear the Avs eventually turning the Eagles into the AHL affiliate is the goal, who knows what the timeline is for that though. There's been heavy Avs presence at Eagles playoff games including executive staff, AHL and NHL coaching staff. That seems a bit much just to show affiliate support.

Also, I thought McPhee said they weren't sharing, now they are back to sharing?

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
The guy who wrote the article isn't the most aware of how the minor leagues work and the particulars of such. However, he's the most connected reporter in Denver and I know he made some phone calls. I know the idea that the Blues were going to locate a franchise somewhere in KC was shot down as crap but I don't know where the article got this then.

I think it's pretty clear the Avs eventually turning the Eagles into the AHL affiliate is the goal, who knows what the timeline is for that though. There's been heavy Avs presence at Eagles playoff games including executive staff, AHL and NHL coaching staff. That seems a bit much just to show affiliate support.

Also, I thought McPhee said they weren't sharing, now they are back to sharing?

McPhee originally did say they weren't sharing but has backtracked on that...i think the reality of the fact that they won't have enough players for their minor leafgue team this year changed that and as I've said before it gives everyone a chance to get everything together for the following year.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
McPhee originally did say they weren't sharing but has backtracked on that...i think the reality of the fact that they won't have enough players for their minor leafgue team this year changed that and as I've said before it gives everyone a chance to get everything together for the following year.

Yea, it's the best outcome for now.

STL/LV with Wolves for 2017-18
COL with Rampage for 2017-18

LV with Wolves for 2018-19
STL with Rampage for 2018-19
COL in Loveland (expansion) for 2018-19

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Yea, it's the best outcome for now.

STL/LV with Wolves for 2017-18
COL with Rampage for 2017-18

LV with Wolves for 2018-19
STL with Rampage for 2018-19
COL in Loveland (expansion) for 2018-19

Looks good to me.

If the Eagles owners are granted the new AHL team, I'm wondering if this also allows for their ECHL franchise to be sold/relocated - perhaps to Prescott Valley, Arizona (bring back the Arizona Sundogs!). The Sundogs could be the Coyotes ECHL affiliate, and their current ECHL affiliate (Rapid City Rush) could become the Avalanche affiliate. The Rush owner was a former investor in the Eagles and is supposedly still friends with their ownership group - it'd be a nice story. :)

2018-19
Vegas (NHL) -- Chicago (AHL) -- *Reno (ECHL)
St. Louis (NHL) -- San Antonio (AHL) -- Kansas City (ECHL)
Colorado (NHL) -- Colorado (AHL) -- Rapid City (ECHL)
Arizona (NHL) -- Tucson (AHL) -- Arizona (ECHL)

* All the rumors have Reno getting an ECHL franchise in 2018 - perhaps they can buy the dormant Alaska Aces team and relocate?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Looks good to me.

If the Eagles owners are granted the new AHL team, I'm wondering if this also allows for their ECHL franchise to be sold/relocated - perhaps to Prescott Valley, Arizona (bring back the Arizona Sundogs!). The Sundogs could be the Coyotes ECHL affiliate, and their current ECHL affiliate (Rapid City Rush) could become the Avalanche affiliate. The Rush owner was a former investor in the Eagles and is supposedly still friends with their ownership group - it'd be a nice story. :)

2018-19

* All the rumors have Reno getting an ECHL franchise in 2018 - perhaps they can buy the dormant Alaska Aces team and relocate?

Alaska will be dormant until a group changes that forecast economically, and Alaska won't see that happen...

Prescott Valley could be, but if Reno is a reality, then there goes an option, they almost landed Tucson, but IA Picked Tucson, is more population, PV is more of a suburb, small city....and there's been nothing proposed since the Sundogs ceased in the CHL Prior to the merger in 2014, the last year before the Coyotes switched to the Falcons from Portland (now Tucson)...

the other issue is competition on the expansion front from other cities, and even here in Portland where there's been a proposal to restart the franchise as the Pirates which Springfield bought last season. if the figure of 750K to EVEN BE considered by the ECHL for a franchise is accurate, is it feasible for a city of 40K to even compete for a franchise, never mind being granted.

Then again, will the Coyotes remain past 2017/18 in Arizona is still in flux (see the megathread on the Business forum), no one knows if the team finds an arena or partner after 20 odd years in ARI, as Tucson is now part of that transaction tied to the Coyotes, then you have the Suns and Sarver, and his teams between Phoenix and the D-League Northern Arizona Suns, might be a roadblock to reestablishing the Sundogs in PV, even if that's the way that fanbase wanted to....

There's no guarantee the Rush will be around then, either or are we going to see another Missouri/KC fiasco, where it was released then denied and then collapsed.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Looks good to me.

2018-19

Wow, I really like that setup. It makes too much sense. And I had forgotten about the connection with the Eagles and Rush. Eagles owners would definitley sell the ECHL franchise if they bought the 31st AHL one. With Eagles owner Lind putting in 1.5B in the local area, he just wants to own the team in the middle of everything he is building. The ECHL club would be a money loser (for the most part) anywhere else.

And with the goal of 32-32-32 as stated by all 3 leagues, there is plenty of room for a Portland ECHL team and a couple of others.

I know all of this is way more complicated than that, but it's a perfect set up.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I am not aware of anty rules that would prohibit the Blues from having the ability to put prospects in more than one affiliate

Could they put some players in both Chicago and San Antonio??

Chicago obviously will be short players.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
I am not aware of anty rules that would prohibit the Blues from having the ability to put prospects in more than one affiliate

Could they put some players in both Chicago and San Antonio??

Chicago obviously will be short players.

There is no rule against it...Dallas did it a number of years ago with players, some guys went to Hamilton and others to a team or teams that I cant recall right now. It does seem to make sense if in fact they are the team sharing Chicago this next season.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
I find it in poor taste and kind of unprofessional that a GM of a major sports franchise has had to do a flip flop of this magnitude in the public sphere in regards to first not sharing an affiliate and now doing so. Exercise some decorum and forethought and if you're not certain about decisions that have yet to be made don't make erroneous statements to the media that you have to backtrack on later. In his most recent statement he says---"it probably makes sense at least for a year"....is he leaving the door open for more than one year of a shared affiliation? I think NHL teams sharing affiliates is a step back for the AHL and harkens back to an era that the AHL would ideally have moved past....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino