Las Vegas AHL affiliate

Status
Not open for further replies.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I just have a hard time imagining two NHL teams sharing an AHL affiliate. There would be so much internal complaining. If they are forced to with a gun to their head they might otherwise I can't imagine two teams willingly sharing an AHL team.

Me also, but it would make it easier for LV to ramp up their organization, by buying them another year to have a full AHL team. They may find a NHL team to share for 1 season.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
I just have a hard time imagining two NHL teams sharing an AHL affiliate. There would be so much internal complaining. If they are forced to with a gun to their head they might otherwise I can't imagine two teams willingly sharing an AHL team.
It used to happen, quite frequently. It wasn't until Edmonton got off their butts and reactivated their dormant franchise in Oklahoma City in 2010 that the league finally had a 1:1 ratio with the NHL.

Edmonton, Anaheim, and... a few other teams shared affiliations until they could partner with a team exclusively (yes, Edmonton shared an affiliation even though they owned and never used their own AHL franchise).

It seems awkward, but some of the players on rival teams are friends off ice already.

At the ECHL level, teams share affiliations frequently because of the lack of players signed to ECHL contracts and because the number of teams is less than 30.

If you think St. Louis placing their players on different teams is awkward, just think about this: the Detroit Red Wings (at the time still in the Western Conference) and the Chicago Blackhawks split the affiliation of the ECHL Toledo Walleye, with players from Toledo being called up to play against each other in Grand Rapids and Rockford.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I look at the sharing AHL team issue from the view of a NHL GM. If I'm any team but Vegas why do I want my prospects losing ice time to the prospects of another NHL team? Would any NHL GM be happy to know their prospect is getting less minutes/opportunities because of another NHL team? NHL GM's are already control freaks and they'd lose a lot of control if they have to share an AHL team. I get that having a 1:1 ratio is something relatively new. I just don't see any team wiling to go back to that arrangement.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I look at the sharing AHL team issue from the view of a NHL GM. If I'm any team but Vegas why do I want my prospects losing ice time to the prospects of another NHL team? Would any NHL GM be happy to know their prospect is getting less minutes/opportunities because of another NHL team? NHL GM's are already control freaks and they'd lose a lot of control if they have to share an AHL team. I get that having a 1:1 ratio is something relatively new. I just don't see any team wiling to go back to that arrangement.

That i an issue but I imagine if they are paying to share then the GMs may not care.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Andrews is on Prime Time Sports right now, he said the Las Vegas team will have their own AHL team not shared. It won't be in the pacific division and it will be a current team that Las Vegas has done a deal with. That current team has an NHL team attached to it so something else will happen there. He didn't want to get too far into it cause he didn't want to give anything away.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Andrews is on Prime Time Sports right now, he said the Las Vegas team will have their own AHL team not shared. It won't be in the pacific division and it will be a current team that Las Vegas has done a deal with. That current team has an NHL team attached to it so something else will happen there. He didn't want to get too far into it cause he didn't want to give anything away.

Based on that info, I would guess it's Chicago who has an expiring deal with St Louis....

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
It's Chicago. It's the most logical team in this scenario.

Blues will have to find a new affiliate.

I believe that if you'll check my post from earlier in this thread...I've been telling you people this since then...

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
So does anybody have any idea what St Louis is going with their prospects??

If Vegas does end up in Chicago by themselves, then one of 3 things could end up happening:

1. That the Blues prospects would merge with Colorado prospects in San Antonio for 17-18 and one of those 2 teams would end up with the 31st AHL team for 18-19.

2. Very slim possibility of this happening for 17-18, but the Blues could end up in San Antonio by themselves, and Colorado would get the 31st AHL team and put them somewhere in Colorado.

3. The Blues would end up spreading their prospects to several AHL teams for the 17-18 season and hope to get the 31st AHL team in 18-19 and put them in the Kansas City/Independence, MO area.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
So does anybody have any idea what St Louis is going with their prospects??

For your response, they could share an affiliate with another team like Florida and Buffalo shared Rochester did at one point; would make sense considering St. Louis doesn't have too many prospects, I don't see it too hard finding an affiliate to share with. Or what could likely get done is what happened with Dallas in 2008-09 and Anaheim in 2009-10 where their prospects go to random teams; both teams sent most of them down to the Manitoba Moose around those times. But

Chicago and Vegas have to affiliate next season though. Fights are super easy; like with Atlanta and Chicago back in the Thrasher days. Also, Chicago is a contending AHL team who will more likely have AHL signed players considering Vegas might not have too many AHL contracts.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland
Cant be St Johns they are owned by Montreal and moving to Laval

Well yes but Danny Williams is the guy who both the Habs and jets made a deal with. And I know he still wants an AHL team in St John's I just don't think it will happen because of how far away they are.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Well yes but Danny Williams is the guy who both the Habs and jets made a deal with. And I know he still wants an AHL team in St John's I just don't think it will happen because of how far away they are.

Yes, but he made a deal with a team that owns a franchise. Neither Vegas nor St. Louis own a franchise.

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
For your response, they could share an affiliate with another team like Florida and Buffalo shared Rochester did at one point; would make sense considering St. Louis doesn't have too many prospects, I don't see it too hard finding an affiliate to share with. Or what could likely get done is what happened with Dallas in 2008-09 and Anaheim in 2009-10 where their prospects go to random teams; both teams sent most of them down to the Manitoba Moose around those times. But

Chicago and Vegas have to affiliate next season though. Fights are super easy; like with Atlanta and Chicago back in the Thrasher days. Also, Chicago is a contending AHL team who will more likely have AHL signed players considering Vegas might not have too many AHL contracts.

Are you just making things up? Saint Louis has no fewer prospects than most other teams. If anything, if Vegas thought that they could put together enough depth to field a AAA squad in a relatively short period of time, to say Saint Louis just doesn't have the prospect depth to field one makes zero sense...

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Are you just making things up? Saint Louis has no fewer prospects than most other teams. If anything, if Vegas thought that they could put together enough depth to field a AAA squad in a relatively short period of time, to say Saint Louis just doesn't have the prospect depth to field one makes zero sense...

I mean enough to place an even amount of players on an AHL team as the other team.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
As a Blues fan we have so many prospects on Defense and in goal we could fill both an AHL, ECHL back end. Our prospects in forward positions is a bit on the depleted side minus but we have about 7 forwards (that I know for sure) have contracts with the Blues.

The Blues will most likely share with somebody since their effort (whether true or not) to get an AHL affiliate in KC didn't pan out.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
If Vegas does end up in Chicago by themselves, then one of 3 things could end up happening:

1. That the Blues prospects would merge with Colorado prospects in San Antonio for 17-18 and one of those 2 teams would end up with the 31st AHL team for 18-19.

2. Very slim possibility of this happening for 17-18, but the Blues could end up in San Antonio by themselves, and Colorado would get the 31st AHL team and put them somewhere in Colorado.

3. The Blues would end up spreading their prospects to several AHL teams for the 17-18 season and hope to get the 31st AHL team in 18-19 and put them in the Kansas City/Independence, MO area.

Could be the best guess. The rumors were very strong with Blues adding the 31st franchise to Kansas City. I wonder what went wrong.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

The only way a team goes there next year is IF Quebecor buy the Hurricanes and the Checkers this summer and move the Checkers to St John's.

But I don't think Kahn will sell them.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
might have something to do w/ the incoming Kansas City (Missouri) Mavericks NOT GOING ANYWHERE,

Although the rumored AHL team was headed to the Sprint Center & the Mavs play in Independence. The Sprint Center doesn't seem to be too interested in having a minor pro tenant, however. Only way the Mavs move is if Lamar Hunt Jr. wants to change leagues.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Although the rumored AHL team was headed to the Sprint Center & the Mavs play in Independence. The Sprint Center doesn't seem to be too interested in having a minor pro tenant, however. Only way the Mavs move is if Lamar Hunt Jr. wants to change leagues.

And exactly what league would they be changing to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad