News Article: Larsson on LTIR (6-8 weeks, broken fibula)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Holland watched Lagesson, Jones, Bear and Bouchard up close after he became our GM. He knew what kind of depth we had in the system first hand. Add to that that Sekera much like Gagner is a NHL player but is simply paid too much for what they bring to the table at this point in their careers, Koskinen is next up unless he has a big season. After Sekera's injuries he was no longer a guy that you could play 20+ minutes and warrant his pay. We have to break in Bear, Jones and Lagesson sooner or later or lose them to waivers. Right now they are test driving Bear and Persson to see how they fit long term.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I've already posted that the Oilers could have essentially had this exact same roster without buying out Sekera.

Holland made the team worse. It's that simple.

Then copy and paste your simple plan that elevates you above Holland in terms of ability to Manage a hockey team.
I am genuinely curious.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse Russell
Klef Bear
Manning Benning :eek: :confused: :( :oops:
Persson

Persson Benning might work out okay. Its certainly worth a try especially if they play under 12 minutes.

I havent heard if Persson is ready to play though.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Persson Benning might work out okay. Its certainly worth a try especially if they play under 12 minutes.

I havent heard if Persson is ready to play though.

That puts Persson on his off side, Russell already on his off side, not sure Tip wants to go with 2 pairs and 2 D on their off sides. This is my best guess anyway.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I think this is why Tippett was hired, hes a defensive coach who gets the most out of that position. The Oilers have a lot of depth in that regard in the minors. They will only get better under Tippett. Sekera was a necessary move.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Then copy and paste your simple plan that elevates you above Holland in terms of ability to Manage a hockey team.
I am genuinely curious.
Nygard-McDavid-Neal
RNH-Draisaitl-Kassian
Khaira-Cave-Archibald
Granlund-Haas-Chiasson
Jurco, Sheahan

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Bear
Sekera-Russel
Benning

Smith
Koskinen

This team fits under the cap.

Surely you can see the value there would have been in having Sekera here to move up into a top 4 spot with Larsson going on LTIR?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I didn't want to look but I did anyways at Sek's 1st game. 21 minutes. 28% OZ starts. 80% high danger chances, 58% Corsi, 12 shots for, 5 against at 5v5.

:(

Guess we'll see if he keeps it up. Remaining worried that Sek was not actually busted and he was gonna make us look dumb.

I think buying out Gags and Manning would have given similar cap savings but only for 2 years of paying for it.

For curiosity sake now that we know Gagner is being filled alongside Manning as out of date for the game today

Gags+Manning buyout calculator:

Y1 Cap hit: 3.15M + 2.25M = 5.4M
Y1 Buyout Caphit = 1.02M + 0.92M = 1.94M
Y1 Savings: 3.46M

Y2 Buyout Caphit = 1.02M + 0.67M = 1.69M (Sek's is 2.5M, and then 1.5, 1.5 for years 3,4)

There is the extra cost to replace 1 more player in the lineup of course vs Sek's 3M of savings for 1 spot, but it's pretty darn close, and of course, this pain only goes 2 years.

oooohhhh welllllll

Last edited:

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
I didn't want to look but I did anyways at Sek's 1st game. 21 minutes. 28% OZ starts. 80% high danger chances, 58% Corsi, 12 shots for, 5 against at 5v5.

Guess we'll see if he keeps it up. Remaining worried that Sek was not actually busted and he was gonna make us look dumb.

I think buying out Gags and Manning would have given similar cap savings but only for 2 years of paying for it.

Until he gets hurt.....because he will.

I think Larssons injury might be a blessing in disguise. Losing him for 6-8 weeks in the middle of the season is different than 6-8 weeks now....he'll be back in November. I wanna see what these Dman can do. There are many examples of players that thrived because of another players misfortune. A new/young player coming in knowing that there is a spot open for 6-8 weeks is a good thing.

I was at the game on Wednesday, our D looks different because of Tippett. It will improve once they polish things up. If a system is in place. its plug and play.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Until he gets hurt.....because he will.

I think Larssons injury might be a blessing in disguise. Losing him for 6-8 weeks in the middle of the season is different than 6-8 weeks now....he'll be back in November. I wanna see what these Dman can do. There are many examples of players that thrived because of another players misfortune. A new/young player coming in knowing that there is a spot open for 6-8 weeks is a good thing.

I was at the game on Wednesday, our D looks different because of Tippett. It will improve once they polish things up. If a system is in place. its plug and play.

Not sure about plug and play. You need guys that are heads up and can make a pass still. It's up to management to have a backlog of NHL ready guys that can do that. We're not there yet. Guys like russell and manning will never be plug and play for a system that requires quick puck movement where the puck goes to a teammate in motion. Nurse still has work to do on that aspect of his game. Larsson is another guy that likely will never be able to do it consistently.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

For curiosity sake now that we know Gagner is being filled alongside Manning as out of date for the game today

Gags+Manning buyout calculator:

Y1 Cap hit: 3.15M + 2.25M = 5.4M
Y1 Buyout Caphit = 1.02M + 0.92M = 1.94M
Y1 Savings: 3.46M

Y2 Buyout Caphit = 1.02M + 0.67M = 1.69M (Sek's is 2.5M, and then 1.5, 1.5 for years 3,4)

There is the extra cost to replace 1 more player in the lineup of course vs Sek's 3M of savings for 1 spot, but it's pretty darn close, and of course, this pain only goes 2 years.

oooohhhh welllllll

I watched the parts of the game and Sekera was good.

The Sekera buyout is stupid no matter what Sekera does but if he plays well this year doubly so. Just completely moronic cap management. Only Oilers fans with the blinders up can even remotely defend that move. Stupid move long and short term.

Reactions: Bangers

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I watched the parts of the game and Sekera was good.

The Sekera buyout is stupid no matter what Sekera does but if he plays well this year doubly so. Just completely moronic cap management. Only Oilers fans with the blinders up can even remotely defend that move. Stupid move long and short term.
Paying a guy who was playing like a #6 D last year 5.5m was definitely the way to go!

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
And we did the same with Manning. Sekera > Manning in every conceivable way. We also won a lot with the rest of the defense and most of them are back. Weird.
I’m not saying manning > sekera.

He’s not going to play anyways.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Obviously terrible Larsson is out but under the circumstances I really want to see.

Klefbom Persson/Bear
Nurse Bouchard/Bear
Russell Benning

I run the rookies in the top 4 and see how they do as a very heavy puck moving component.

And if things get too rough they can switch to.

Klefbom Persson/Bear/Bouchard
Nurse Russell
Lagesson Benning

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Fact of the matter is that buying out Sekera was dumb. The team could field exactly the same team and be under the cap, but now the Oilers wouldn't be throwing two rookies to the wolves.

Use this year to evaluate rookies (1 at a time, or 2 if the team has 2 injuries), and possibly buy Sekera out at the end of the year (when he will count against the cap for 2 fewer years).

If Klefbom goes down (entirely possible), the team's D is:

Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bear
Manning - Persson

That line up is good for a minimum 3 GA per game.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Gotta admit just having Manning there on the roster soaking up $2.25 million in cap when someone like Burdasov could have been signed for a LOT less (and been much more useful) is a source of irritation.

I know they had their reasons for not signing Burdasov and he's not some superstar... but he was definitely very likely to be a more useful player than having Manning globbed in the PB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad