Confirmed with Link: Lapierre suspended for 5 games for hit on Boyle

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Yeah he probably didn't mean to put Boyle in the hospital. That doesn't excuse what he did. He saw his numbers the whole way and deserves a suspension for that. Hes had a lot of grey area plays in his career. He also probably is in the doghouse in St. Louis as well.
I never said it did. There will clearly be consequences for his actions.
There's nothing wrong with him apologizing. But it doesn't mean jack-squat because Boyle's in the hospital and will likely miss a ton of games and have concussion issues. Apologizing for doing something he knows he shouldn't have done means absolutely nothing. Boyle's still in the hospital. Boyle's still hurt. Boyle's still angry. Lapierre's apology is simply to make Lapierre look better.

You are making too many assumptions here. I think it is far more likely that Lapierre genuinely does feel bad about how things turned out for Boyle

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Lapierre's apology is simply to make Lapierre look better.

Ehh you don't really know that. I've done some dumb stuff in my life and wanted to apologize for it. If he gets suspended and appeals it because of the length, I could see your point, but, I mean, no one here really knows this guy personally, so why judge a relatively classy move, given the circumstances?

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Wait, what's wrong with Lappy apologizing? I see why we all don't like him and all, but maybe his on-ice persona is different than his off-ice persona?

Edit: perhaps I haven't seen the whole story, didn't see his actual comments.

He said something about it being a rough night for him and his family last night because of the hit.

Him calling boyle, that is just common courtesy in the nhl. I wouldn't be shocked to go back to the mcsorely-brashear stick swinging incident and find out that mcsorely tried calling brashear also.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Sorry doesn't mean much until Lappy stops hitting like that. He needed to apologize and that's fine, but I put no stock into it yet.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
When was his last hit like that?

Yeah, I can't really believe I'm defending Lappy here, but he's not a repeat offender under the terms of the CBA.

He's had a few questionable hits since his 4 game suspension with the Nichol incident (highlighted on TSN) but none of them have been nearly as bad as this. And a lot of NHLers playing a certain style of game accumulate some questionable hits. For instance, is Burns a dirty player because of the Morrow hit last night? Dumb hit, but not indicative of Burns as a player.

Lappy is viewed negatively mostly because of his antics, I would say, not because of his dangerous hits.

JodyShelleysNo1Fan

Feb 22, 2007
You are making too many assumptions here. I think it is far more likely that Lapierre genuinely does feel bad about how things turned out for Boyle
How is it any more likely than him not giving a crap? We are all assuming here since none of us know Lapierre personally.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
How is it any more likely than him not giving a crap? We are all assuming here since none of us know Lapierre personally.

Occums razor... Your hypothesis has more assumptions than mine.

And Jux from your videos, he had one hit that was similar three years ago...

Slipstar

Dec 21, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Occums razor... Your hypothesis has more assumptions than mine.

And Jux from your videos, he had one hit that was similar three years ago...

You're spelling and using Occam's Razor wrong. You're assuming Lappy felt genuine concern---same number of assumptions.

And what?! One similar? There's five or so videos of reckless hits to the numbers of players in vulnerable positions. And it's not just cherry picking---this is what Lappy does.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Lol. We aren't looking for a hit similar to boyles. More that he does this quite often and it's careless. Something that the nhl is trying to get rid of.

Apologizing is something that he should do, and I won't begrudge him that. But until he stops it's empty.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
You're spelling and using Occam's Razor wrong. You're assuming Lappy felt genuine concern---same number of assumptions.

And what?! One similar? There's five or so videos of reckless hits to the numbers of players in vulnerable positions. And it's not just cherry picking---this is what Lappy does.

Yeah I make spelling mistakes sometimes.

As for the videos: There were two that appeared similar. The one on Schenn which was about 5 years ago? That hit was actually identical, although I think Schenn was fine. The Nichol hit was a bit different but I suppose you could call it similar. That happened three years ago.

The other hits weren't all that similar. If you think so, then the hit on Morrow from Burns was similar in your point of view.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
It's careless hitting. Hitting high. Jumping up with the elbow.

Repeat offender only takes suspensions into account. Not how the offender got them. Hits are different but clearly dangerous.

And I believe evidence like that can be used against him to lengthen suspension. But I'm not sure.

But the original topic of him apologizing: it'd be way worse if he didn't. Maybe he means it. But his lack of concern for other players safety makes it hollow to me until he actually cleans up.

Players should always get another chance until they are legitimately an unacceptable risk on the ice to other players.

That's not for me to define, so Lappy should be allowed the chance to clean up his act.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Lol. We aren't looking for a hit similar to boyles. More that he does this quite often and it's careless. Something that the nhl is trying to get rid of.

Apologizing is something that he should do, and I won't begrudge him that. But until he stops it's empty.

That's fair. I wouldn't go as far as to say it's empty :P (semantics, doesn't really matter)

Maybe he'll cut out the cheap shot hits? Nothing he's done in the NHL has resulted so poorly, so perhaps this can be a transformative event. Again, depends on the person, who none of us actually know.

Last edited:

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
There should be a line where it goes outside of the lines of hockey and legitimately becomes assault or battery. But I'm not the dops.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I'm sorry, but because he hasn't made any other identical hits to the one he put on Boyle, he's in the clear? Lapierre has a history of dirty hits. He is a dirty, reckless player who doesn't give a **** about player safety. He may be genuinely concerned about Boyle being in the hospital, but I bet you the shift he gets back from his suspension he goes head-hunting again.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I'm sorry, but because he hasn't made any other identical hits to the one he put on Boyle, he's in the clear? Lapierre has a history of dirty hits. He is a dirty, reckless player who doesn't give a **** about player safety. He may be genuinely concerned about Boyle being in the hospital, but I bet you the shift he gets back from his suspension he goes head-hunting again.

I'm not sure who you are arguing with. I never said he is in the clear. He just had a hearing and deserves to get suspended.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA

He isn't in the clear, he's likely going to get suspended, but players do change.

Matt Cooke has 0 pims this year and 6 points in 7 gp, for instance. Not saying that he's completely reformed or whatever, but he's making an effort.

Kesler pretty much acknowledged he wanted to stop diving, and basically has at this point.

Raffi went from one of the players sharks fans hated the most to arguably one of the most liked due to his play, rather than his antics.

It isn't inconceivable that knocking someone out + an X game suspension could be a bit of a wake up call. Only time will tell, though, we'll see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad