Confirmed with Link: Lapierre suspended for 5 games for hit on Boyle

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Clowe wasn't a deterrent...Torres and Stuart are moreso than he was because they take no prisoners and will not hesitate to blow someone up. Last year in the playoffs The Sharks answered the bell physically. I loved the guy but the Sharks are better without him.

How often do they drop the gloves ?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
How often do they drop the gloves ?

Who cares..fighting doesn't deter another team of anything. Its an age old hockey myth. Stuart and Torres and Wingels and Burns do way more damage to teams physically with the gloves on.

MegalodonManiac

U'llneedabiggerboat
Oct 11, 2013
Scotts Valley, CA
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/16/lapierre-gets-in-person-hearing-friday/
Hearing scheduled Friday.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=687039

(Reading between the lines... if the chirping/threats reported by the players are taken into consideration, "intent to injure" might get added, which could really increase the suspension length.)

I think the 'chirping' aspect of this is very problematic for Lapierre. It's not that I believe that he necessarily said something specific about hurting someone, or even that that was his intent when he hit Boyle. Its a question of perception, mindset, and respect. What kind of perception is created when you start chirping at the other team during the opening shifts of a game? Is your head in the right place, or are you trying to intimidate? Is such chirping just typical gamesmanship or a sign of disrespect?

I was always taught to "do my talking with my play on the field". Toward that end, I very much like the way Todd McClellan handle his team and this entire incident. Didn't like the Burns hit, thought it was foolish and somewhat reckless, but generally liked the way the Shark's responded both on the ice and off. Showed class

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
So that you are cool with ?

It happens a lot. Sobotka punched Dom Moore and broke his nose while he was on the ground in the playoffs two years ago. Desi was probably seeing red from seeing a teammate and friend knocked out.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I didnt see a single punch land on Lapierre. I wouldn't be surprised if he got scratched across the eye or something.

Dude immediately went and found the linesman with a rat-like smirk. They guy couldn't even fight after that garbage. All his talk is meaningless and a ploy to look good and hopefully get a reduced suspension.
How does he know Boyle didnt answer because he was having an mri or ct caused by his hit? ****in idiot.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Couture was directly quoted as saying other teams stop chirping him and taking liberties when Clowe was on the ice. Though, you can choose to not believe him I suppose.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I didnt see a single punch land on Lapierre. I wouldn't be surprised if he got scratched across the eye or something.

Dude immediately went and found the linesman with a rat-like smirk. They guy coykdn't even fight after that garbage. All his talk is meaningless and a ploy to look good and hopefully get a rrduced suspension.
How does he know Boyle didnt answer because he was having an mri or ct caused by his hit? ****in idiot.

Well NBC focused on Reaves/Pelech so no one saw the scrum. Engblom said he was bleeding profusely from the face and other media types have said Desi did a number on him.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
It happens a lot. Sobotka punched Dom Moore and broke his nose while he was on the ground in the playoffs two years ago. Desi was probably seeing red from seeing a teammate and friend knocked out.

I thought it was Demers who got his nose broken in that brawl.

Yeah, all to often a player will still try and punch a player when thier down. Can't always say if it just not being able to stop throwing punches when one player goes down or just trying to get in a cheap shot.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I thought it was Demers who got his nose broken in that brawl.

Yeah, all to often a player will still try and punch a player when thier down. Can't always say if it just not being able to stop throwing punches when one player goes down or just trying to get in a cheap shot.

Dom and Sobotka took the faceoff and Sobotka took him down and punched him.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio

Dude immediately went and found the linesman with a rat-like smirk. They guy couldn't even fight after that garbage. All his talk is meaningless and a ploy to look good and hopefully get a reduced suspension.

Allan Muir had this in his story "Lapierre earned a pair of five-minute majors — one for boarding Boyle and one for taking a beating from San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins—along with a game misconduct." Engblom and other media said his face was bleeding pretty badly.

As I said, wish we could have seen Lapierre get his face mashed by Desi instead of Pelech's poor attempt at a fight. Thanks for nothing NBC :p:

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
We always said in Worcester that when Desjardins snaps the guy he is going after is in big trouble...we saw it more than once here.

Yeah his gloves were off as soon as he saw Boyle down and chased Lappy up the ice who couldn't find the ref fast enough with Pelech and Desi on his heels. Two guys you don't want going after you with bad intentions on their minds.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
You know that how ?

At the very least he made them pay a price.

All Clowe did was yell a lot and make a lot of threats, he still generally only fought other teams tough guys thereby accomplishing nothing. At best he'd do something stupid, take an instigator, and we'd still get knocked out of the playoffs anyway. It didn't do anything, and it wouldn't have stopped Boyle getting smeared last night. What it would have done is caused us to play a much slower east/west game because Clowe cannot play north/south, and we probably would have lost (and wouldn't be on a 6-0 run right now).

My fondest memory of Clowe is when he played the puck from the bench. Not because it was a cool thing to do, but because I laughed so hard I nearly passed out. Also again after the game when he goes "I have no idea what you are talking about". I miss the guy, but at the same time I don't want him anywhere near this team.

Because I don't believe players were skating around thinking "I better not hit Couture, Clowes on the ice".

But even if that was somehow the case, when Clowe did react he went bat**** crazy with multiple penalties in some of those games and acted like an idiot. I like Clowe, but his worth to this team was over and we are much better without him.

The funny thing is this time there weren't many shananigans after the Boyle hit and we won. I'm going by memory, but most times in the recent past we tried to even the score physically we ended up losing the game. Much better result last night.

BTW, apparently Desi did a number on Lappy.

Yah they said something like "bleeding profusely". I think Desi got him pretty good.

Clowe wasn't a deterrent...Torres and Stuart are moreso than he was because they take no prisoners and will not hesitate to blow someone up. Last year in the playoffs The Sharks answered the bell physically. I loved the guy but the Sharks are better without him.

I agree, but not because of the dirty stuff. Torres is a deterrent because he can skate. Most tough guys can't skate and so they can't hit the guys they need to. Torres can, he's big and fast and so he's able to retaliate, legally, with bone crushing hits. That works because guys know "If I nail Couture Torres might put a bullseye on me". To some degree anyway. A lot more of a deterrent than "If I hit Couture, Pelech might flail around with Biznasty 5 minutes from now"

Who cares..fighting doesn't deter another team of anything. Its an age old hockey myth. Stuart and Torres and Wingels and Burns do way more damage to teams physically with the gloves on.

Again, I agree.

So that you are cool with ?

If done without putting the team worse off, sure. I have absolutely no problem if a guy like Clowe could skate over to LaPierre and beat the snot out of him. The problem is, he doesn't, because he ends up taking an instigator and doing more harm to his team than good. What Desi did, or i guess got away with, was fine, but most days he would have ended up putting on on a PK instead of a PP. It worked this time because Lapierre's hit was SO bad (got 5 mins) and the ref's let him off a little light.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad