Confirmed with Link: Lapierre suspended for 5 games for hit on Boyle

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Allan Muir had this in his story "Lapierre earned a pair of five-minute majors — one for boarding Boyle and one for taking a beating from San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins—along with a game misconduct." Engblom and other media said his face was bleeding pretty badly.

As I said, wish we could have seen Lapierre get his face mashed by Desi instead of Pelech's poor attempt at a fight. Thanks for nothing NBC :p:

Well NBC focused on Reaves/Pelech so no one saw the scrum. Engblom said he was bleeding profusely from the face and other media types have said Desi did a number on him.

I heard Engblom, but wasn't aware of the other stuff. Good for Desi.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Actions speak louder than words. I didn't see concern or regret from him last night. Some players know when they injure a player they genuinely look concerned and stay there or call the trainer. Others take it a step further and accept a fight after the hit, and as stupid as fights are at least it's something, being willing to answer for what you did by potentially getting your face smashed in. What did Lappy do? Shrugged towards the ref as if to say he did nothing wrong, then he skated away and left Boyle there motionless. When the whistle blew he ran behind the refs because that's the kind of guy he is. What he did and his reaction are the exact opposite of the scripted stuff he's saying now.
Lapierre's actions speak clearly one way, with his words changing depending on the situation. He's saying the right things now because he's trying to save his job and cashflow.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Actions speak louder than words. I didn't see concern or regret from him last night. Some players know when they injure a player they genuinely look concerned and stay there or call the trainer. Others take it a step further and accept a fight after the hit. What did Lappy do? Shrugged towards the ref as if to say he did nothing wrong, then he skated away and left Boyle there motionless. When the whistle blew he ran behind the refs because that's the kind of guy he is. Lapierre's actions speak clearly one way, with his words changing depending on the situation. He's saying the right things now because he's trying to save his job and cashflow.

Lappy has always ran and hid. Every team hes played for he has. Look at the comments from his new team..not exactly rushing to his aid.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I originally expected three games for this hit since Lapierre is not a repeat offender but he does have a history and it makes sense that this may be a reputation suspension since that's exactly what happened to Torres.

With regards to Desi and Clowe, Desi didn't get away with it. He did get the instigator and cut the team's power play time down. I don't think most people mind that and I didn't mind it when Clowe did it on a hit like that. Yes he went too far occasionally and took stupid penalties. The only reason why he is gone is because he stopped producing. That's really the end of it. If he was still around 20 goals a season, he'd be here and I would be fine with that as long as his contract was in line with what he brought to the table.

There's more than one way to respond to these situations. In reality, Clowe was not a deterrent for this type of stuff. This stuff will happen regardless. Sometimes it is just a reckless play and sometimes it's a habitual idiot that does it regardless of the consequences. Even with Clowe on the ice, Couture still got boarded on more than one occasion. However, Clowe's value was his ability to produce AND be physical. You don't have to drop them to physically respond to this stuff. You start popping people left and right in response and doing it legally, it can have a better affect.

CBJenga

May 30, 2008
Stuart earned himself a 3 day suspension and Torres..well nothing need to be said

Wingels ?

Clowe earned himself a 2 game suspension on one fight.

You're specifically picking the TWO instances where those players got suspended to the detriment (eh... not so much with Stuart) of the Sharks, while ignoring that almost every time Clowe fought it usually meant that the Sharks were down a top 6 player, while the other team had their player whose sole job is to fight sit in the box.

Wingels and Desi also put the fear of God into some fools with their hits. Look what Desi did to Mayers, FFS, he hit him so hard that Mayers was absolutely convinced that his shoulder was his head. The Desi hit in the LA series behind the net. Stuart's hit on Landeskog. These are all the kinds of hits that ACTUALLY make teams think twice, because they were all legal, punishing, and actually did something bad for the other team*. Trading Clowe for Orr is a good trade for the team employing Orr. Torres/Lappy/Ott/Avery/Cooke couldn't care less if their enforcer takes a beating from Clowe because they took a run at someone. You stop them by punishing the team for their play, Clowe fighting occasionally wasn't a punishment for the Sharks.

*Desi on Mayers didn't work out in our favor because the refs are stupid and Mayers is pansy, but the point stands as even before the end of the game the NHL recognized that it should not have been called as it was.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I have to say it's really a bummer that all the talk the day after is on this avoidable incident.

The Sharks just thrashed the undefeated Blues on the road.

I hope the suspension is at least 20 games but it probably will be between 6-8 games. Sigh.

Next time Lappy plays I hope someone knocks him out cold (legally).

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I have to say it's really a bummer that all the talk the day after is on this avoidable incident.

The Sharks just thrashed the undefeated Blues on the road.

I hope the suspension is at least 20 games but it probably will be between 6-8 games. Sigh.

Next time Lappy plays I hope someone knocks him out cold (legally).

Watching that hit and result took all of the joy of watching hockey out of that game for me.

It wasn't until this morning that I was able to appreciate just how much the Sharks dominated the Blues. I can't even begin to explain how impressed I was with McLellan and his staff for how they kept the team focused (and even more impressed with McLellan's answer to Engblom's question about 'toughness') and how impressed I was with each and every SJ player on the ice for giving that game absolutely everything they had.

Unfortunatley, I don't think Lapierre is going to be suspended for too long which is too bad because he's doesn't seem the type to change his ways.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I really hope Shanahan throws the hammer down because in my mind (I know now that he "technically" isn't), he's a repeat offender. Those hits need to be taken out of the game. And I agree with stalockrox that Lapierre doesn't seem like the type of player that will change his playing style.

GodHatesTheSharks

Nov 20, 2010
Clowe is terrible

Couture needs to take care of himself anyway

Yes, last year he was. But Sharks fans need to thank Clowe for everything he did for this team, he deserves some respect. He was a warrior and a great leader for this team.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Watching that hit and result took all of the joy of watching hockey out of that game for me.

It wasn't until this morning that I was able to appreciate just how much the Sharks dominated the Blues. I can't even begin to explain how impressed I was with McLellan and his staff for how they kept the team focused (and even more impressed with McLellan's answer to Engblom's question about 'toughness') and how impressed I was with each and every SJ player on the ice for giving that game absolutely everything they had.

Unfortunatley, I don't think Lapierre is going to be suspended for too long which is too bad because he's doesn't seem the type to change his ways.

I firmly believe that this team has the mental makeup of a champion at this stage. That wasn't the case in some seasons. The rest of it is just plain luck with injuries being the biggest deterrent for a team's demise these days.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Yes, last year he was. But Sharks fans need to thank Clowe for everything he did for this team, he deserves some respect. He was a warrior and a great leader for this team.

He was, and he was tons of fun, but fun doesn't win hockey games and at this point Clowe is an injury riddles mess. He's sitting in the press box most of the time, and when he plays he's not effective. Likely due to those injuries that keep him out. He's basically 'done' and the Sharks moved on at the right time. On top of that, the Sharks decided to move to a north south, high speed, up tempo super aggressive system and Clowe simply does not fit into that.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
He was, and he was tons of fun, but fun doesn't win hockey games and at this point Clowe is an injury riddles mess. He's sitting in the press box most of the time, and when he plays he's not effective. Likely due to those injuries that keep him out. He's basically 'done' and the Sharks moved on at the right time. On top of that, the Sharks decided to move to a north south, high speed, up tempo super aggressive system and Clowe simply does not fit into that.

At this point who knows if Clowe will ever play again. Hes on IR with another possible concussion.

Last edited:

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I firmly believe that this team has the mental makeup of a champion at this stage. That wasn't the case in some seasons. The rest of it is just plain luck with injuries being the biggest deterrent for a team's demise these days.

I agree, if there was ever a team that was going to win the cup (Sharks wise) this is absolutely it. At least the best so far. We are wiping the floor with teams while missing a top-6, a top 9, and a top-4 d-man. Last night we lost a top-pairing d-man and still rolled right over the 2nd best team in hockey.

The Sharks looks like the Hawks of last season, and I fully expect a similar result. The only thing that could derail this team is if Niemi goes down, or we lost someone like Thornton or Couture for the season.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area

I agree, happily yet reluctantly. As a diehard fan, I've been through the ringer like all of you.

However, the team's poise & confidence after Boyle got knocked out speaks volumes. And with the spanking they put on the Blues on the road, it will only further convince them that this way is the right way to play. In a way that's a silver lining.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
I agree, if there was ever a team that was going to win the cup (Sharks wise) this is absolutely it. At least the best so far. We are wiping the floor with teams while missing a top-6, a top 9, and a top-4 d-man. Last night we lost a top-pairing d-man and still rolled right over the 2nd best team in hockey.

The Sharks looks like the Hawks of last season, and I fully expect a similar result. The only thing that could derail this team is if Niemi goes down, or we lost someone like Thornton or Couture for the season.

I want to see two more things:
1) Games at LA and Chicago (guess that's two there). I think they can handle the Hawks fine. It's the Kings who will try the same tough-guy crap that the Blues tried - Stewart trying to take on Pickles was bush league stuff that teams will continue trying.
2) How the young D handle Boyle's PMD duties, especially on the 1st PP.

If Demers/Braun/Irwin/Tennyson? handle it fine, the Sharks will gain further confidence that the system works and they have the requisite talent top to bottom.

Trying to see the positive in Boyle getting knocked out for (presumably) a while.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Clowe earned himself a 2 game suspension on one fight.

You're specifically picking the TWO instances where those players got suspended to the detriment (eh... not so much with Stuart) of the Sharks, while ignoring that almost every time Clowe fought it usually meant that the Sharks were down a top 6 player, while the other team had their player whose sole job is to fight sit in the box.

Wingels and Desi also put the fear of God into some fools with their hits. Look what Desi did to Mayers, FFS, he hit him so hard that Mayers was absolutely convinced that his shoulder was his head. The Desi hit in the LA series behind the net. Stuart's hit on Landeskog. These are all the kinds of hits that ACTUALLY make teams think twice, because they were all legal, punishing, and actually did something bad for the other team*. Trading Clowe for Orr is a good trade for the team employing Orr. Torres/Lappy/Ott/Avery/Cooke couldn't care less if their enforcer takes a beating from Clowe because they took a run at someone. You stop them by punishing the team for their play, Clowe fighting occasionally wasn't a punishment for the Sharks.

*Desi on Mayers didn't work out in our favor because the refs are stupid and Mayers is pansy, but the point stands as even before the end of the game the NHL recognized that it should not have been called as it was.

Yeah, He was pissed that Shaw boarded Pavs with seconds left in the game. There was some talk of a ten game suspension for coming off the bench. The Sharks still owe Shaw for that one.

"fear of god " Please...

Jimmy the Fish

Aug 17, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
The horrible Boyle injury aside, it cannot be stated enough that the Sharks went into a place where they usually play terrible and routinely get schooled by the Blues, and thoroughly dominated them in all aspects of the game.

It's still early and there are other big games, but to me, last night was one of those barometer games that reveals what kind of team they are.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the first game against Chicago and Colorado as further tests of the Sharks potential.

Mrs Ski

Sep 25, 2008
The Process
I'm glad the news is good for Boyle (so far). As for Lapierre's comments...if I said what I really think I'd be banned for life from HF. :rant::rant::rant:

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
I'm glad the news is good for Boyle (so far). As for Lapierre's comments...if I said what I really think I'd be banned for life from HF. :rant::rant::rant:

In the end Lapierre didn't mean to send Boyle to the hospital. Cause him some pain, sure... Obviously his hit was reckless and crossed the line and he will be suspended for it. I think that should be the end of it until he actually does something else that warrants further action.

JodyShelleysNo1Fan

Feb 22, 2007
Lol @ Lapierre's comments. I cringed reading that garbage. You know he didn't mean any of it and probably couldn't care less what happened to Boyle. If he could come out and flat out admit he did it on purpose without any consequences, he probably would. But instead, he has to do this saving face BS and act like he's a good guy.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
In the end Lapierre didn't mean to send Boyle to the hospital. Cause him some pain, sure... Obviously his hit was reckless and crossed the line and he will be suspended for it. I think that should be the end of it until he actually does something else that warrants further action.

Yeah he probably didn't mean to put Boyle in the hospital. That doesn't excuse what he did. He saw his numbers the whole way and deserves a suspension for that. Hes had a lot of grey area plays in his career. He also probably is in the doghouse in St. Louis as well.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Even if Lapierre is legitimately sorry that Boyle's in the ****ing hospital, that "just trying to finish my check" thing is utter ********. Boyle's face was inches from the boards, he had no way of bracing himself, and his numbers were to Lapierre. If you're a clean player, you know that you can't hit this guy. Lapierre is not that.

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Wait, what's wrong with Lappy apologizing? I see why we all don't like him and all, but maybe his on-ice persona is different than his off-ice persona?

Edit: perhaps I haven't seen the whole story, didn't see his actual comments.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Wait, what's wrong with Lappy apologizing? I see why we all don't like him and all, but maybe his on-ice persona is different than his off-ice persona?

There's nothing wrong with him apologizing. But it doesn't mean jack-squat because Boyle's in the hospital and will likely miss a ton of games and have concussion issues. Apologizing for doing something he knows he shouldn't have done means absolutely nothing. Boyle's still in the hospital. Boyle's still hurt. Boyle's still angry. Lapierre's apology is simply to make Lapierre look better.

GodHatesTheSharks

Nov 20, 2010

Oh yeah, I totally agree with you. I think Torres was an upgrade.

I think Clowe hasn't been the same player since he suffered that face fracture last season or 2 ago. I think it was against Dallas (I could be wrong). It's a shame though, he has lost his offensive touch, same with Heatley.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad