Confirmed with Link: Lapierre suspended for 5 games for hit on Boyle

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Also I doubt anyone knows this and I don't expect anyone to fully know the answer to this but I'll ask anyway. Does anyone have any idea as to what is actually said in these hearings? In person or over the phone? Like I'm kinda curious as to how they actually discuss it with the player and the manner in which they discuss it with the player. As much as I'd like to picture Shanahan *****ing out pieces of **** like Kaleta and Lapierre, I'm sure that's pretty far from how it goes down. Anyone have any idea at all? I'd be very curious to know.

My guess:

NHL presents the facts, player responds.

Offended team statement (read) (IOW, player out, full extent of injuries, etc.). Player responds.

I know that DoPS is in hearing. Plus NHL lawyer. NHLPA official, lawyer. Player, GM (and perhaps a team lawyer).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 1m
RT @lkorac10: Lapierre said today he tried to reach out to Boyle with a phone call to apologize for what happened. No response from Boyle.

I don't blame Boyle in the slightest, especially if what Couture and Pavelski say is true. :shakehead

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Kevin Kurz ‏@KKurzCSN 1m
RT @lkorac10: Lapierre said today he tried to reach out to Boyle with a phone call to apologize for what happened. No response from Boyle.

I don't blame Boyle in the slightest, especially if what Couture and Pavelski say is true. :shakehead

May also be that he's unable to answer phone. There are a number of reasons why he didn't (immediately) respond.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
10 games at most.

I agree. I haven't seen any suspension over 10 games except where a player has an incident inside the 18 month window for priors with one exception, Bertuzzi (on Moore). They save the over 10 game suspensions for the worst of the worst, Simon, Torres, Cooke, etc.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 30m Maxim Lapierre says he called Dan Boyle last night and left a message...says he'll reach out to him again #stlblues #sjsharks

So, sounds like the call happened last night. (I assume that Boyle did not have his phone with him until perhaps this morning.)

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 29m
Lapierre says seeing Boyle leave ice on stretcher was very difficult...says last night was tough an he and his family #stlblues

all he had to do was not hit Boyle..he saw his numbers the whole time.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 30m Maxim Lapierre says he called Dan Boyle last night and left a message...says he'll reach out to him again #stlblues #sjsharks

So, sounds like the call happened last night. (I assume that Boyle did not have his phone with him until perhaps this morning.)

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 29m
Lapierre says seeing Boyle leave ice on stretcher was very difficult...says last night was tough an he and his family #stlblues

Translation: I'm not actually sorry. I just don't wanna be suspended too long. Plus I fear that the league may actually come down hard on me for this one because it was pre-meditated and an absolute obvious attempt to hurt a respected player in the league.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
The Lapierre family difficulty being they yelled at him for being a dbag, losing a bunch of money, and made him sleep on the couch.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
I'm glad we didn't have Clowe last night. He would have gone crazy. I liked what Tmac said about the PP being the toughness of the team.

I disagree. Without a Clowe, we will see teams take run after run on the Sharks best players. Could see it in last years play off will all the runs at Pavs and Logan.

So far in this season we have seen Hertl and Boyle take cheap shots.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
He seems... somewhat sincere. Ugh. I still think he's a disgusting little rat turd, but at least he said the right things I guess? And the balls to face the music and answer for it publicly vs. hiding behind the blues pr people.

“First of all, I would like to apologize to Dan,” said Lapierre, 28. “You never want to see someone feel that way and, as tough as it is to look at for the fans and his teammates, I feel the same way.”

Several Sharks responded angrily after Tuesday's game, referring to the 28-year old Lapierre as an “idiot.” Lapierre understood the reaction.

“It's tough to separate a guy that's yapping from a guy who tries to hurt people,” said Lapierre. “I know I'm the type of guy who talks a lot on the ice, but it's really not my intention to hurt anybody. I never (thought) last night it was going to be a hit to the head or it would be that big a deal … I was just trying to finish my hit,” Lapierre said. “But the game goes fast. It's not an excuse. You have to be responsible for your hits and I was the one doing the bad hit last night.

“I was just trying to finish my hit. But like I said, it's no excuse. It's terrible. It's not fun to look at somebody on the ice and the only thing I want to focus on right now is that hopefully he gets better.”

Lapierre said he was not so much worried about the details of his suspension as he was the welfare of Boyle. He said he tried to call Boyle on his cell phone, but Boyle did not answer the call.

“Obviously, it's a tough day for him and his family and it's tough for him to answer a guy who just hit him,” Lapierre said. “But I'm going to try to call him back later in the year when it's a better point.

“I know what kind of player I am. I talk a lot on the ice and try to play my role. But my family and my friends know I'm not the kind of guy who tries to hurt people. Like I said, I feel terrible for him and his family.”

“I'm not expecting him to be happy with what happened, but hopefully I can get to talk to him before the end of the year.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...tml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I disagree. Without a Clowe, we will see teams take run after run on the Sharks best players. Could see it in last years play off will all the runs at Pavs and Logan.

Clowe never stopped anyone from running our players.

Gilligans Island

Jul 2, 2006
SF/Bay Area
You know that how ?

At the very least he made them pay a price.

Can't remember which game it was... I think a playoff game a couple seasons ago. Couture got hit pretty hard and was dazed. Clowe didn't react at all. Clowe was pretty selective when he responded to such shenanigans. We're a better team without him.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Can't remember which game it was... I think a playoff game a couple seasons ago. Couture got hit pretty hard and was dazed. Clowe didn't react at all. Clowe was pretty selective when he responded to such shenanigans. We're a better team without him.

Clowe was often injured come play off time. Came with his style of play.

Really showed in the playoffs last year with the Rangers

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
You know that how ?

At the very least he made them pay a price.

Because I don't believe players were skating around thinking "I better not hit Couture, Clowes on the ice".

But even if that was somehow the case, when Clowe did react he went bat**** crazy with multiple penalties in some of those games and acted like an idiot. I like Clowe, but his worth to this team was over and we are much better without him.

The funny thing is this time there weren't many shananigans after the Boyle hit and we won. I'm going by memory, but most times in the recent past we tried to even the score physically we ended up losing the game. Much better result last night.

BTW, apparently Desi did a number on Lappy.

LeftHeartInSF

Left Heart In SF
Dec 1, 2011
San Francisco/Boston

I'll take Hertl over Clowe. He already has put up infinity times the goals Clowe gave us last year.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Because I don't believe players were skating around thinking "I better not hit Couture, Clowes on the ice".

But even if that was somehow the case, when Clowe did react he went bat**** crazy with multiple penalties in some of those games and acted like an idiot. I like Clowe, but his worth to this team was over and we are much better without him.

The funny thing is this time there weren't many shananigans after the Boyle hit and we won. I'm going by memory, but most times in the recent past we tried to even the score physically we ended up losing the game. Much better result last night.

Apparently we didn't need to actually do anything. They were scared like little *****es just at the possibility of us retaliating. Not such a crazy idea, but weird to hear a player actually admit it...

“They did a good job of not saying, ‘Let’s get out there and even the score,’†Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk said. “And after that we played on our heels a bit. We were worried about what’s going to happen to us after that, whether they were going to retaliate.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...6c19f0450.html

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Clowe wasn't a deterrent...Torres and Stuart are moreso than he was because they take no prisoners and will not hesitate to blow someone up. Last year in the playoffs The Sharks answered the bell physically. I loved the guy but the Sharks are better without him.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

I liked Clowe as well. When healthy I liked his game as well.

Pelech is on the roster to fill that role now. Meh...

It has when the Sharks convert on the resulting PP. Lets see if that stays true when it it cools down. Instead of 5 minute fighting penalties, we will see more undisciplined penalties as teams test the Sharks toughness. We have seen this play out before

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->