Lake Erie Monsters/Kalamazoo Wings Thread V (All Affiliate talk here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I honestly think Werenski makes the CBJ out of camp next season.

As far as contracts does it make any difference if he's in Columbus or not? Old system was a guy could play a certain number of games before his contract kicked in (for free agency). Is that still in play (to delay free agency).

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
As far as contracts does it make any difference if he's in Columbus or not? Old system was a guy could play a certain number of games before his contract kicked in (for free agency). Is that still in play (to delay free agency).
He's in Cleveland on an ATO, not a SPC, so this season doesn't count w/r/t a "year of pro experience". His SPC doesn't kick in until next season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I think it is 40 games for UFA eligiblity

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I am almost expecting it at this point. Let's see how he sustains it through the remainder of the playoffs, but as long as he is figuring out the different defensive scheme, you cant argue against the production. It may be a good thing for him to spend a lot of games producing against pros at this rate though. But we will almost certainly see him in Columbus at some point next season. It may not happen out of the gate, but I could see him spending October and maybe November in the AHL until he makes it clear as day that he doesn't belong there. He's SO young. It will be interesting to see what he is capable of when he is playing with people his own age again (outside of the World Juniors, he's been the youngest player around for a while).

I won't be upset if he isn't the NHL to start the season, but I think he should be. It seems pretty obvious he is one of our 4 best defensemen.

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Looking forward to the upcoming series between the Monsters and the Ontario Reign. We're out of the playoffs and don't have a first-round pick to discuss, so beyond projected roster changes and our AHL team, there's not much to discuss. We've got some big guys on our team, but only 1 semi-blue chip prospect, Adrian Kempe. Strong system play, but we won't dazzle you with talent. Besides Kempe, our best forwards are a 4th-rounder, 7th-rounder and a third-rounder just out of juniors. Known for our defense more than our offense. What can we expect from the Lake Erie team?

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Looking forward to the upcoming series between the Monsters and the Ontario Reign. We're out of the playoffs and don't have a first-round pick to discuss, so beyond projected roster changes and our AHL team, there's not much to discuss. We've got some big guys on our team, but only 1 semi-blue chip prospect, Adrian Kempe. Strong system play, but we won't dazzle you with talent. Besides Kempe, our best forwards are a 4th-rounder, 7th-rounder and a third-rounder just out of juniors. Known for our defense more than our offense. What can we expect from the Lake Erie team?

Probably more raw talent than on the big club, but pretty young, I think.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego

Lake Erie is very young and has some very recent high profile, high draft picks. This series is going to be a battle of 18-21 year old 1st round picks vs a lot of AHL veterans. Kempe definitely seems like the player to keep your eye on in that series, but yeah - I don't get the impression that the rest of the Reign is too flashy, but they get the job done.

Lake Erie has a goooood amount of players that will see time in the NHL next season or did this past season: W Oliver Bjorkstrand (3rd round 2013, exploded after draft year), W Sonny Milano (1st 2014), W Kerby Rychel (1st 2013), D Zach Werenski (1st 2015 - already top scoring 18 year old in AHL playoff history), W Josh Anderson (4rd 2012), G Joonas Korpisalo (3rd 2012).

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA

Kempe was a teammate of Monsters' goalie Anton Forsberg back in Sweden (both played for MODO). Not sure which goalie will get the start for the Monsters, but Kempe would have the most experience with Forsberg since they teams didn't play during the regular season.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Werenski is the real deal. Can't wait to see him playing for the jackets next season.

At least 4 cbj fans are at the game.

random notes:
Rychel did a great job getting back on a breakaway and preventing a scoring chance. But little in terms of offense
Björkstrand needs to make better decisions with the puck and not pass up the middle of the ice in traffic
Forsberg has really improved his lateral movement.

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Puck is really bouncing.

Sedlak looks like a legit nhl prospect. Most had written him off, but he has some puck skills and has been consistently winning faceoffs

SavesEmNot

Jul 2, 2012
Now 3-1.

Did the Monsters' play-by-play guy just say "shot from a *****... sharp angle"? :laugh:

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
3-2 LEM

I'll be providing more regular updates for those listening on the 99X station stream, which has apparently gone to music.

Is the AHL Live radio stream affected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad