Confirmed Trade: [LAK/TOR] Jake Muzzin for 2019 1st round pick, Sean Durzi, and Carl Grundstrom - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
mflo77: Lol Leafs fans acting like they got Doughty

Leafs fan: Actually we just think he's a good player and are happy with the upgrade.

mflo77: *Acts like they got Phaneuf*

based on the hype after practice 1, does he wipe the crack up or down?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
based on the hype after practice 1, does he wipe the crack up or down?
What hype? It was a normal practice. yes, people mentioned that Muzzin looked comfortable. Where are you getting the hype from?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He's good. Some people over inflate his defensive gaffes. He has his moment where we used to call him the Muffin man, but he's very solid.

And he deserved every chance to grow into the NHL. Of course there are bumps on the road along the way.

Muzzin has a wicked, accurate shot when creeping in from the point. That wrister from the top of the circles has always been his strongest suit, but those chances have been fewer and farther between as the Kings descended into a team that could no longer create chances with cross ice puck movement. He will score a boatload of goals in Toronto from that spot.

He holds the blue line well, with occasionally huge hits, but his defensive game is just average. His stick isn't always in the best spot, and too often he will get beat from the boards to the front of the net on coverages. I don't really agree with Osprey about over-pinching or leaving the zone too early, that's not something I feel does more than any other blueliner with an offensive tilt to his game.

One thing to look for, the reason he gets beat from the boards, and why his first pass isn't always accurate is that he skates in a very upright fashion. He doesn't get a lot of leverage with his stick, and for a bigger guy he has a relatively small area of influence around him. He skates very well, but it's too easy to get in and around him.

Muzzin has a lot of sexy attributes, has a great attitude, and will improve anybody's top-4, he just isn't an all-world type of defender. His strengths do more than just cover for his weaknesses.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Babcock was being so salty today about the addition of another left shot to our blue line. Does he not understand that Kapanen/Johnsson would not be on the roster if they wanted to get a RHD ( like Pesce or Hamilton)? Clearly,
Muzzin without giving up anything on the roster > Pesce/Hamilton minus Johnsson/Kapanen.
The gap between these players is not big enough to justify the loss of Kapanen/Johnsson.
He is so dogmatic sometimes

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I'm telling you what 6 years of actually watching him have revealed. Regardless, which "defensive advanced stats" are you referring to? If you mean Corsi, that's not really a defensive stat, something that a lot of people don't understand. Muzzin has always had great Corsi because he's so good at generating offense. Even years ago, well before his defense improved, he had great Corsi. If you don't want to believe me that he often sacrifices defensive responsibility for the possibility of generating offense, just wait and see for yourself. I'm just telling you what to expect, but, if you'd rather expect something more and be disappointed, I'm not going to try to talk you out of it.

How about his ability to limit zone entries? Does that count?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
For all the talk about making cap space for Kapanen.... Is it possible that Marleau plans on calling quits after this season? I don't see Toronto entertaining the idea of trading Kapanen for futures and certainly making other trades wouldn't be easy given the amount they'll be over the cap..

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
For all the talk about making cap space for Kapanen.... Is it possible that Marleau plans on calling quits after this season? I don't see Toronto entertaining the idea of trading Kapanen for futures and certainly making other trades wouldn't be easy given the amount they'll be over the cap..
Things will be tight next year, but they will not be over the cap if they use Horton's LTIR.

Let's assume the cap goes up by $4.5M (optimistc, I know) to $84M.

They now have 13 players signed for almost $60.3M.

Let's assume $25M to Matthews/Marner/Kapanen.

That's 16 players signed for $85.3M.

They need 5-6-7 more players.

Using Horton's LTIR, they'll have $4M available for these 5-6-7 players.

Their best semi-realistic scenario would be to get rid of Zaitsev, but it takes two to tango and they'll probably need to attach a significant sweetener to make that deal.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
"Facts" is the key word here.

Facts are not the demented dreams of a bored statistician.

And I love statistics, as you'll realize if you search through my post history...
Yes, as Mark Twain said Lies, damn lies and statistics!

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto

Might very well be a handshake agreement that the deal was for 2 years. Example: Marleau gets paid like 5M on July 1st 2019, he can then be traded to a team trying to reach the floor (Ottawa?) where his caphit is still 6.25 but he's owed only 1M and he can then retire.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Babcock was being so salty today about the addition of another left shot to our blue line. Does he not understand that Kapanen/Johnsson would not be on the roster if they wanted to get a RHD ( like Pesce or Hamilton)? Clearly,
Muzzin without giving up anything on the roster > Pesce/Hamilton minus Johnsson/Kapanen.
The gap between these players is not big enough to justify the loss of Kapanen/Johnsson.
He is so dogmatic sometimes

Ummmmmm did you actually listen to him? The interview is online

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Things will be tight next year, but they will not be over the cap if they use Horton's LTIR.

Let's assume the cap goes up by $4.5M (optimistc, I know) to $84M.

They now have 13 players signed for almost $60.3M.

Let's assume $25M to Matthews/Marner/Kapanen.

That's 16 players signed for $85.3M.

They need 5-6-7 more players.

Using Horton's LTIR, they'll have $4M available for these 5-6-7 players.

Their best semi-realistic scenario would be to get rid of Zaitsev, but it takes two to tango and they'll probably need to attach a significant sweetener to make that deal.

This has been done about a thousand times. You can do it on cap friendly yourself if you want. This isn’t true

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
That they will have an 85 million cap with 5-7 more players to sign.
And where did I err in my hypothesis ?

Fact: they now have $60.3M invested in 13 players (who do not include Matthews/Marner/Kapanen).

Assumption: Matthews/Marner/Kapanen will get $25M.

Total (if the assumption is correct): $85.3M with 16 players signed... QED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad