Prospect Info: LAK Draft (45th, 2020) RD Brock Faber - USNTDP, USHL

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Tonight at 5pm on Fox Sports West you can watch Brock Faber and U. of Minnesota at Michigan State.
Wear this proudly, you've earned it

badge-of-awesome.png

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I only got to watch the third but Faber looked goooooooooooooooooood....so much poise and just make effective, efficient plays both on D and with moving the puck. And of course an excellent skater, no one can shake him. He was even out there protecting the lead under a minute and made a key shot block near the very end. based on that period alone, which is the disclaimer, he looked like a seasoned veteran senior. The only time you could tell he was younger was when stronger players were pushing off him. No one could create space on him, don't get me wrong, he just didn't get to plaster everyone like he was in position to do, heh.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I only got to watch the third but Faber looked goooooooooooooooooood....so much poise and just make effective, efficient plays both on D and with moving the puck. And of course an excellent skater, no one can shake him. He was even out there protecting the lead under a minute and made a key shot block near the very end. based on that period alone, which is the disclaimer, he looked like a seasoned veteran senior. The only time you could tell he was younger was when stronger players were pushing off him. No one could create space on him, don't get me wrong, he just didn't get to plaster everyone like he was in position to do, heh.

Nice! Great report. And to think he just turned 18 on August 22nd. We've been waiting for years and years to have a LEGIT core of blue chip defensemen in the system, since Voynov. There were YEARS in which the defenseman prospects were the likes of Roland McKeown...Lintuniemi...Chaz Reddekop...and Ladue was the 'great hope'. Years of not a single top 4 defenseman in the system.

Then they drafted Cernak...Clague...getting a little better. In 2017, Mikey Anderson and Cole Hults. In 2018, not a single D. Then 2019, Bjornfot, Spence and Nousiainen. Then this draft,
Grans and Faber. (even Ben Meehan has potential)

In 2017, 2019, and 2020, the Kings have drafted some serious talent on the backend. I love that Bjornfot and Faber can skate, read plays, can (will) play NHL level defense, move pucks and are BOTH among the top of their class in all of those regards (as well as character) Then there's the elite skill and size of Helge Grans. Players like Mikey Anderson, Cole Hults and Jordan Spence have such a drive and have reasonably mid-high ceilings and high floors.

Yannetti knew what he was doing, when he traded up for Fagemo and Faber. And he knew both would be gone, before their next pick. Love Yannetti. Last year, he called Bjornfot at 22 and everyone was...who? And this year, it was Brock Faber...and again, it was like, who?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I also think one of the things about Faber is if I wasn't specifically looking for him, he wouldn't really have jumped out at me. Very, very quiet for the most part with a few little plays that would have made me go "whoa, who was that?" I can think of one they replayed specifically where he was skating the puck out from behind the net with back pressure and held the puck for an extra second to make a pass past two more hard forecheckers right on the tape. Wins you games, won't get an assist.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
I only saw the last half of the game or so. He was out there for key parts of the game and PK. The broadcast team was saying the MN team hasn't given up a goal on the PK or trailed in any of their games this year. Coach is already demonstrating trust in him. His game is very nice. He doesn't run around ever and really looks like he contains his speed until he really needs it then the burst comes and he's neutralized the threat. Love LOVE this guy. Fantastic that he's just 18 and already a big part of that successful team.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Quick echo of the others....watched all of the game last night and to me has very similar skillset as Bjornfot. Has nothing specifically that stands out but highly effective in all areas- just solid in all aspects of the game. As someone else mentioned- clearly top end skating skills and the number of times the announcer mentioned "great play by Faber" while in the d zone were numerous. Noticed as well that the coach has Faber out in crunch time holding on to a 1 goal lead which spoke volumes- a freshman Dman in the NCAA getting crunch time numbers speaks volumes and in that final sequence Faber just never looked rattled or scrambly. Super poised in that final minutes and really gave the appearance of a veteran player. Looks to be another solid draft pick...as mentioned to me he looks very much like an American Version of Bjornfot which speaks volumes.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I wonder if he'll make Team USA?

I was listening to Jesse Cohen's recent podcast and Hoven was a guest and they were talking WJC and all the King prospects. I think it was Hoven that said that
Faber was one of only 2 RHD on the roster, so that alone bodes well for him making the team...as well as that Faber already is gelling with Ryan Johnson at U of Minnesota, so why not pair them on the WJC team? That could make sense, too.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Getting great prospects/players in the top five picks and getting a couple of lucky first round-talent drops like Kaliyev and Vilardi will help us rebuild into a team as good as the Oilers. It's hitting on these 2nd to 4th rounders like Faber, Spence, Thomas, JAD, etc. that will build us a team to beat the Tampa Bay's of the world.

Anaheim across the street is already putting their rebuild on track with guys like Zegras and Drysdale but these 2nd to 4th round quality players will be the difference that keeps LA's playoff dominance in seven game series over Anaheim.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Getting great prospects/players in the top five picks and getting a couple of lucky first round-talent drops like Kaliyev and Vilardi will help us rebuild into a team as good as the Oilers. It's hitting on these 2nd to 4th rounders like Faber, Spence, Thomas, JAD, etc. that will build us a team to beat the Tampa Bay's of the world.

Anaheim across the street is already putting their rebuild on track with guys like Zegras and Drysdale but these 2nd to 4th round quality players will be the difference that keeps LA's playoff dominance in seven game series over Anaheim.

Zegras def. is C or A material some day. Great pick by Anaheim.

I could also see Bjornfot wearing an A along with Turcotte the other.

As far as Captain material...? ::grins:: Byfield? :naughty:

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020

Agreed. it's also the character of these players, (that are not quite elite) but have skill, drive and leadership qualities.
The quality and quantity of the prospect pool is 15-20 deep and while not all of them will play for the Kings, some may be packaged
to get a 'Jeff Carter', 'Mike Richards' , 'Marian Gaborick', 'Robyn Regher', which will also put the Kings over the Vegas' and Ducks, etc.
Lombardi used prospects and picks to get those players, albeit Simmonds was an NHL player and Schenn was breaking in.

This coming era, with more teams having cap issues, they will be looking at entry level players that have upside. The Kings
can be their solution, with the amount of young talent they have.

ricardfromage

"You wanted the Germs, you get em"
Mar 5, 2020
paradise
I can't picture Zegras not becoming a star in the NHL. He is a bit like DD though, very volatile and not even tempered. Zegras is a great young player. Can't have em all in our system but he has it all.

Oh and Faber is an alright D prospect. I still have no idea why we spent so much to move up and get him. I am hoping he takes a galactic leap forward in his development and becomes the player that Blake thinks he can become. N0t bad but not all too special either.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
The moved up an took him as they rated him as the last player available on his tier and if they had waited they would have most likely been picking from players on the tier below. We hired his coach for Ontario, so our info on him would have been dam good.

Reactions: RossLonsberryFan

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I can't picture Zegras not becoming a star in the NHL. He is a bit like DD though, very volatile and not even tempered. Zegras is a great young player. Can't have em all in our system but he has it all.

Oh and Faber is an alright D prospect. I still have no idea why we spent so much to move up and get him. I am hoping he takes a galactic leap forward in his development and becomes the player that Blake thinks he can become. N0t bad but not all too special either.

They packaged the 50th with the 96th pick (a fourth rounder) to move up five spots. That's considered giving up a lot?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad