Prospect Info: LAK Draft (45th, 2020) RD Brock Faber - USNTDP, USHL

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Both the 2nd rounders kind of remind me of why we miss Mitchell. Both are not burners, but are pretty agile. By all accounts they are good at gap control and funneling the play to the safe areas. Grans is a bit more in the Mitchell vein with his size and physicality, but it sounds like Faber has a lot of the same qualities. I think this is a good thing as replacing WM was one of the things that the team never could do.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
You guys are SO dialed in right now.

Do you have a problem with me enjoying writing articles for free and generating hype for the work that is put in to provide content?

I don't understand your trolling, especially when I answered politely.

If it bothers you that much, why not ignore me?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Do you have a problem with me enjoying writing articles for free and generating hype for the work that is put in to provide content?

For what it's worth, I and many others appreciate the work you and Hoven and all the other Kings bloggers, beat writers, podcasters, and content creators do.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County

I may put you on ignore. We’ll see how it goes and I’ll let you know.
BTW I didn’t know the mayor had a street team! You guys sure are dedicated.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Russ Cohen on NHL radio just now. Called out the Faber pick as one of the notable great picks. Also liked Colangelo pick.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I may put you on ignore. We’ll see how it goes and I’ll let you know.
BTW I didn’t know the mayor had a street team! You guys sure are dedicated.

We use his platform to put information and articles out to readers. I like the opportunity and am grateful for it.

I still don't know what your problem is with me aside from... being excited that I wrote an article ahead of time based on info Hoven had and gave to me?

Whatever. I get pumped for the draft and having articles handy. Sorry it bothered you.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I suggest that there is a much wider chasm in the term "safer" in between the home run and sacrifice bunt you are indicating here.
In the lower rounds I am ok with solid singles hit back up the middle.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
This is one of the descriptions I read regarding Faber:

Brock Faber (45th, LAK): Not convinced he has much offence, but Faber's among the draft's best in transition. Beats the F1, hits teammates with speed through layers. Improving deception. Closes gaps quickly, rarely overextends/overcommits.

I don't think anyone expects Faber to be a top-pairing defenseman. If you have a defenseman who has the attributes above, you have the makings of a solid 4-5 defenseman on a championship caliber team.

One of the biggest reasons the Kings experienced success from 2012-2014 was the ability of their defensemen to beat the F1 with a good first pass. Some were better at it than others, and none of them were turnover machines in their own zone.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
This is one of the descriptions I read regarding Faber:

Brock Faber (45th, LAK): Not convinced he has much offence, but Faber's among the draft's best in transition. Beats the F1, hits teammates with speed through layers. Improving deception. Closes gaps quickly, rarely overextends/overcommits.

I don't think anyone expects Faber to be a top-pairing defenseman. If you have a defenseman who has the attributes above, you have the makings of a solid 4-5 defenseman on a championship caliber team.

One of the biggest reasons the Kings experienced success from 2012-2014 was the ability of their defensemen to beat the F1 with a good first pass. Some were better at it than others, and none of them were turnover machines in their own zone.

That's a good point. It had me constantly bitching about it in games. Sometimes, it's just an element that isn't sexy but like salt or a specific spice, it makes it all work.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Besides shot suppression, golden age Kings hallmarks were they won almost all board battles, but they also killed it in puck recovery and defensive zone breakouts. If you can't do recovery and break out of your own zone quickly, the rest of the team philosophy suffers especially the offense. The problems started happening when Mitchell, Voynov and even Greene left the team. Suddenly, you've got only Doughty, Muzzin and Martinez capable of doing that and half your defensemen handling the puck like a hand grenade and causing scrambles and extra effort just to clear your own zone. If Faber turns out to be as good at transition from defense to offense as is being touted, it's going to have a major impact than just goals and assists on his stat line. The interesting part of his interview was that he played forward and decided to switch full time to defense when he was younger. There could be some untapped potential there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad