Prospect Info: LAK Draft (35th, 2020) RD Helge Grans - Malmö Redhawks, SHL

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
The Draft Dynasty video on him (as well as all that guys vids) are really great and detailed. Looks like he's got great offensive tools but is a complete wreck defensively. Pivoting, decision making and strength are all very poor. Not sure what to make of the pick but if he can add some muscle, he could turn into something.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
If the Kings can turn guys like Matt Roy and Sean Walker into quality NHL defensemen, I can’t wait to see what they can do with Tobias Bjornfot and Helge Grans.

source.gif

source.gif

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
And here I thought they were gonna take Vas Defrens... Don't know anything about this kid but a lot of you were saying you wanted him so I'll take that as a good sign.
I don't think the Kings wanted Vas. When his shot gets blocked too often, he can be ineffective.

Reactions: Fishhead

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
The Draft Dynasty video on him (as well as all that guys vids) are really great and detailed. Looks like he's got great offensive tools but is a complete wreck defensively. Pivoting, decision making and strength are all very poor. Not sure what to make of the pick but if he can add some muscle, he could turn into something.

Just watched this as well... I would say that his decision making in the D zone is his biggest weakness, and it's a huge red flag.

M1ftLXv.gif

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone seen him play this season?

he has 3 points in 4 games, but still a -2.

What I am curious about is has his defensive game improved at all? Is he turning a little better or not?

How about his offensive game?

Thanks!

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Has anyone seen him play this season?

he has 3 points in 4 games, but still a -2.

What I am curious about is has his defensive game improved at all? Is he turning a little better or not?

How about his offensive game?

Thanks!

I haven't seen him play, but let's not forget that he's an 18 year old playing against men in one of the best leagues in the world. He's the second-youngest player on the team.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think he just started playing defense 3 years ago, right? He was a forward. Faber also was a forward, but I'm not sure of the timeline of when he made the switch. I'm sure the Kings development staff will help him figure it out. As has been mentioned before, the Kings turned a single 7th round pick into Roy and Walker into NHL defenseman. I'm excited to see what happens with the last 2 drafts crop of defensemen.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Anyone have any video of his play this season? Or have seen him play this season and can comment?

he is clearly taking a step forward with 3 points in just 4 SHL games...I'm curious to see what changes he might have made.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Brent Burns?

Not that I should make any conclusions from watching a handful of YouTube videos, but my impression before the draft was something like a Cody Franson. Maybe not the sexiest comparable, but I think you'd be happy with that with a 2nd round pick.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This is why it's going to be great to have Doughty around for the next 7 years. All these prospects that need some work will be able to mentor under him, even if in some cases it'll be only for a few weeks in training camp every year.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
He looks good in videos and love the fact he keeps it simple and shoots a lot of wrist shots in the PP unlike Doughty. Grans defensive game needs work and he struggles to pivot from forwards to backwards during a quick 2 on 1 which is concerning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad