Prospect Info: LAK Draft (35th, 2020) RD Helge Grans - Malmö Redhawks, SHL

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Swedish defenceman Helge Grans split his year between the Malmo Redhawks in the SHL and playing for their junior team in the Swedish J20 league. As a 17-year-old playing in Sweden’s top men’s league, his minutes and thus his impact was limited. He put up one goal and two assists for three points in 21 games. In 27 games in the junior league, Grans scored four goals and 23 assists for 27 points. He finished with the most assists by a defenceman in the J20 South League. He also added one assist in five games at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, winning a bronze medal.

In 2018-19, Grans played five games in the SHL as a 16-year-old. He also appeared in two games in the Champions Hockey League. He put up four goals and six assists for 10 points in 11 games at the Under-18 level. Grans also scored five goals and 12 assists for 17 points in 34 games in the Under-20 league. Grans also appeared on the international stage. He put up two assists in six games at the 2018 Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, helping the Swedish team to win a bronze medal.

Helge Grans Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #34 - Last Word on Hockey

Reactions: BringTheReign

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Paraphrasing the key parts (in my .02) from scouting reports: Solid defensively. Big stick. Can lay down a big hit. Seems to project as a stay-at-home blueliner with limited offensive potential. Will take a few years before he's NHL ready.

Big RDs are at a premium; Looks like a solid pick.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Good, safe pick at #35. No issue from me. Not quite a second round steal like Kaliyev, but a lot of scouts had Grans going in the late first.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
So far, most that I've read has been very positive about this pick, not to mention a few fanbases who were envious of the selection. Our defense may turn out better than expected in a couple of short years.

Reactions: Guitpik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad