Prospect Info: LAK Draft (35th, 2020) RD Helge Grans - Malmö Redhawks, SHL

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
Next Karlsson ?? Damn might end up being the steal of the draft . I read an article few days ago don’t remember if it was a Kings scout or someone else but they said if he knew defense little better he would go to top 15

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
He may have 5 points but he's also a -2.

Offense from the back end is icing on the cake, but we need a strong base to support the top layers as well.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He may have 5 points but he's also a -2.

Offense from the back end is icing on the cake, but we need a strong base to support the top layers as well.

Tied for team lead in scoring. Highest +/- is +4. Lowest is -5. He seems to be on par with the team as a whole. Not fantastic, but it's not like everyone is a plus, and he's the lone defensive liability

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Tied for team lead in scoring. Highest +/- is +4. Lowest is -5. He seems to be on par with the team as a whole. Not fantastic, but it's not like everyone is a plus, and he's the lone defensive liability
Yep. Plus minus on it’s own, without context, literally means nothing... used properly it’s a superb stat.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
-2 through 6 games on a bottom feeder team as a dman is not bad. He's got more pts than Raymond.

Reactions: BlackMetalED

Rusty Batch

Sep 22, 2010
For some plays, credit should be shared 50/50 on the passer and the scorer. Other times, it's 75/25 in favor of the passer setting up an amazing play. This play, however, is 99/1 in favor of Veleno, who did all of the work. :laugh:
? He drew Veleno's defender to him and then got him the puck in a position where Veleno could just walk in and shoot from the faceoff circle. Surely that's worth more than 1%...

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
The lack of pressure from the puck side defending forward was worth a good 15-20%

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
? He drew Veleno's defender to him and then got him the puck in a position where Veleno could just walk in and shoot from the faceoff circle. Surely that's worth more than 1%...

I’m only half joking, it was a nice little play by Grans, but that goal’s mostly on Veleno.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Speaking of Veleno, is it too early for me to do the “I told you so” dance about wanting Veleno over Kupari?

Eh, maybe. Kupari still has plenty of opportunities, he’s far from a bust. You could say the same for lots of guys taken after Kupari. Wouldn’t our defensive pool look nice with Lundkvist?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Had he not tore his ACL and scored 12 goals, which is what his pace was in his first season on smaller ice, would folks be more positive about him? It seemed like he was starting to figure it out prior to the injury.
He was struggling in Ontario. Depended way, way too much on trying to go around the outside of defenders and had real issues with reading plays as they developed on the cycle.

I wasn't happy at all with his pick, but I think the injury could be a blessing in disguise. He won't be at full throttle for a while, so hopefully he will learn to better work within the team game since he can't so easily fall back on his skating as a default.

Reactions: Vino

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
He was struggling in Ontario. Depended way, way too much on trying to go around the outside of defenders and had real issues with reading plays as they developed on the cycle.

I wasn't happy at all with his pick, but I think the injury could be a blessing in disguise. He won't be at full throttle for a while, so hopefully he will learn to better work within the team game since he can't so easily fall back on his skating as a default.

He was also 19 yrs old playing in NA for the 1st time against men a few years older than himself. I'd be surprised if he didn't have his struggles.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man, here I thought I was being hard on Kupari, but some people really going in on him here.

Had he not tore his ACL and scored 12 goals, which is what his pace was in his first season on smaller ice, would folks be more positive about him? It seemed like he was starting to figure it out prior to the injury.

Apparently because Veleno scored 11 goals and 23 points and he's been lifted over Kupari here.

He's played 27 games on this continent.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Man, here I thought I was being hard on Kupari, but some people really going in on him here.

Apparently because Veleno scored 11 goals and 23 points and he's been lifted over Kupari here.

He's played 27 games on this continent.

Doesn't matter, he had the same issues in Finland. Everything he does is predicated on taking his man wide. He doesn't play a team game, its very individualistic and reliant upon physical gifts. There just isn't much else to him at this point. He isn't strong defensively or along the wall, and doesn't have a particularly great shot.

I was much, much happier with the Thomas pick the next morning. Thomas plays within coverages, Kupari tries to stretch the lines every shift. I don't think he is going to make it to the NHL unless he adds a competent cycle game to his tool box.

Reactions: Vino

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Doesn't matter, he had the same issues in Finland. Everything he does is predicated on taking his man wide. He doesn't play a team game, its very individualistic and reliant upon physical gifts. There just isn't much else to him at this point. He isn't strong defensively or along the wall, and doesn't have a particularly great shot.

I was much, much happier with the Thomas pick the next morning. Thomas plays within coverages, Kupari tries to stretch the lines every shift. I don't think he is going to make it to the NHL unless he adds a competent cycle game to his tool box.

Yet despite all his faults and showing signs of 'getting it' before his injury, he was on pace for fine point totals in a year he's making a huge transition.

Don't get me wrong I'm with you on his issues, I'm lower on him than most, but I don't think he's Ho-Sang or anything, I just think he'll settle in as a modestly effective 3rd liner with some skill to keep people honest. He has the speed and agility to make things happen and I'm sure he'll learn NA hockey some more (and the biggest thing learn how to use his teammates better).

Token

May 15, 2019

So ... Pearson type player ...

sounds reasonable to me for a late 1st pick with wheels.

Reactions: kilowatt

bland

Jul 1, 2004
So ... Pearson type player ...

sounds reasonable to me for a late 1st pick with wheels.
Think more like in between Jakob Silfverberg and Mikkel Boedker, a guy who scores a dozen very pretty, memorable goals a year, has speed to burn, but doesn't do terribly much. Won't hurt you, just leaves the impression that he should be doing a lot more with the tools at his disposal.

I think with 99% of prospects that its useless to come to any kind of solid conclusions, but every once in a while you see someone who relies on a strength so much that its easier to see the shortcomings when he tries to force that strength when it isn't the right time or place.

Tons of guys like that make it, but the majority of them stick as role players, provided they are willing to abandon the offense only approach. Rasmus has plenty of time to broaden his game, but it isn't there yet.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
My concern with Kupari is the combination ofvrehabbing after missing so much time due to injury while learning to play on North American ice.

For a player who's very self-reliant on-ice while dependent on high-end skill, I think he's going to have a lot of struggles.

He's not a bad prospect, but he's outside my top 10

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
My concern with Kupari is the combination ofvrehabbing after missing so much time due to injury while learning to play on North American ice.

For a player who's very self-reliant on-ice while dependent on high-end skill, I think he's going to have a lot of struggles.

He's not a bad prospect, but he's outside my top 10
Kuparis one blessing in disguise was that he lost almost no development time versus his peers because of covid.

A lot of his peers spent their lockdown doing gym work just like he has in his rehab. Hes lost minimal game time and ice time for a 12 month injury.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I just think he'll settle in as a modestly effective 3rd liner with some skill to keep people honest. He has the speed and agility to make things happen and I'm sure he'll learn NA hockey some more (and the biggest thing learn how to use his teammates better).

Ladislav Nagy 2.0....??? ....with much better faceoff skills?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad