Prospect Info: LAK Draft (35th, 2020) RD Helge Grans - Malmö Redhawks, SHL

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
A big reason why I'm excited about having a development heavy coach in Ontario. The Kings realize that this crop of young players is paramount to the future of franchise. This is the most talented pipeline ever, doesn't mean they'll be the best crop of NHL'ers in 5 years as other past prospect pools, but it's important that the right development staff is in place to give these kids the best chance of reaching their potential.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
Read with emphasis on the last two sentences...

Elite Prospects Least Favorite 2020 Draft Picks

Justin Barron, Colorado Avalanche, First-Round, No. 25 Overall
Justin Barron has NHL tools. His skating projects as above the NHL average in a few years; his reach will continue to serve him well in the big leaguea, and his strength will help him separate professional players from the puck. But it is hard to see the defenceman become anything beyond a bottom-pairing defender.
He lacks creativity and awareness both offensively and defensively. He loves to transport the puck up-ice, but isn’t shifty or manipulative enough to do it against speedy forecheckers and Barron hasn’t developed his short-passing game enough to be a transition threat in the NHL. His development has also slowed down in the past two years and only partly due to injuries. There were defencemen with more upside available to Colorado with their pick. Helge Grans comes to mind. — David St-Louis

Scout’s Roundtable: EliteProspects’ Least Favourite Picks From...

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
@All The Kings Men interviewed Andreas Lilja talking about Grans today, and there were some pretty interesting quotes.

Most notably, Lilja compares him to Erik Karlsson and thinks he’s a first pairing talent.

Which Andreas Lilja did Jesse talk to?

Andreas #1

gettyimages-1463204-2048x2048.jpg

Or Andreas #2

peter-worrell-1998-234.jpg

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Projects take time to develop, hopefully we see a decent NHLer in 4-5 years. Interesting they saw him as a higher tier prospect than Faber at the draft. I guess they are counting on the offensive upside\size factor.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
Go LA SHL !

Andersson Kempe Fagemo
Grundstrom Andre Lee
Sodergran

Bjornfot Grans
Moverare

So...are they trading up a few spots to take Eklund? Or taking Edvinsson, if he drops to 8?
How about Wallstedt? Need a Swede goalie, for LA SHL. Fabian Lysell is a possibility.
Seen him ranked #3 overall...seems high.

Last edited:
Reactions: andys

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I've heard Lilja pump guys tires before, but Karlsson?

I think that if he had a better shot and release Grans would have been a 1st round talent. If he improves that area with his size and skating that could end up one of the better picks in a while.

The Lukeman

Opinionated
Apr 7, 2019
Go LA SHL !

Andersson Kempe Fagemo
Grundstrom Andre Lee
Sodergran

Bjornfot Grans
Moverare

So...are they trading up a few spots to take Ecklund? Or taking Edvinsson, if he drops to 8?
How about Wallstedt? Need a Swede goalie, for LA SHL.
The only appropriate air to Quick is someone with just as good of a name... WALLstedt. Name is legendary for a goalie

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Think he didn't get talked about as much because its hard to keep up with our prospects in Europe plus Faber had an excellent season with Minnesota. I really like the look of Grans and think he's a unique talent. I know Durzi and Spence can put up points, but Grans also has the size to go with it.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Grans was being picked by the Swedes to go as early as top 10

Obviously some of that is homerism but they see something apparently a lot of this forum doesn't judging by the previous 15 or so posts

Reactions: The Lukeman

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
I was hoping he would stay in Sweden for atleast another year. Not sure being a bottom pairing in Ontario is optimal.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I was hoping he would stay in Sweden for atleast another year. Not sure being a bottom pairing in Ontario is optimal.

Possibly, but I don't see Clague back. He will either be on the Kings, lost to Kraken or dealt...he's an RFA. Wolanin, Strand, Moverare, Brickely and Alt are all RFAs.
I don't see all of them coming back. I hope they keep Strand, but if I am him I want to play in the NHL and would sign elsewhere. He's NHL calibre now.

If half of these guys are gone, it makes sense to bring in Grans and if he starts as a third pairing. He can still play second PP and move up as he progresses.
It makes sense to get him on the smaller ice and train with the Kings and learn the systems. Who is left in Ontario? (that is not an RFA) Durzi, Phillips...Gaunce?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Paraphrasing the key parts (in my .02) from scouting reports: Solid defensively. Big stick. Can lay down a big hit. Seems to project as a stay-at-home blueliner with limited offensive potential. Will take a few years before he's NHL ready.

Big RDs are at a premium; Looks like a solid pick.
Helge Grans played sparingly this past season in the games I saw. Thought he would be better served staying in Malmo,Sweden and playing tonnes and learning from (ex-King D-man Andreas Lilja) since he's one of only a few D-men signed beyond this year. A curious move since the Kings have RD-men Alt,Durzi on the Ontario roster with Spence coming on board in September...A deal in the making?Something is up

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Possibly, but I don't see Clague back. He will either be on the Kings, lost to Kraken or dealt...he's an RFA. Wolanin, Strand, Moverare, Brickely and Alt are all RFAs.
I don't see all of them coming back. I hope they keep Strand, but if I am him I want to play in the NHL and would sign elsewhere. He's NHL calibre now.

If half of these guys are gone, it makes sense to bring in Grans and if he starts as a third pairing. He can still play second PP and move up as he progresses.
It makes sense to get him on the smaller ice and train with the Kings and learn the systems. Who is left in Ontario? (that is not an RFA) Durzi, Phillips...Gaunce?
Alt has another year left on his deal

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019

Kings have Alt signed and Durzi is under contract with Jordan Spence set to come on board in September. They are all RD-men same as Grans

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Grans was being picked by the Swedes to go as early as top 10

Obviously some of that is homerism but they see something apparently a lot of this forum doesn't judging by the previous 15 or so posts

I'm sure if you asked these same people three days ago they wouldn't even know his name.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm sure if you asked these same people three days ago they wouldn't even know his name.

He didn't make the WJC and there wasn't much in the way of positive highlights after the early part of the season.

He's definitely forgotten about on here because there hasn't been any positive news about him and there are so many other prospects getting pumped.

Reactions: funky

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad