Confirmed with Link: (LAK/CAR) Kings acquire Sekera from Canes

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
the thing about this trade that maybe some of you don't get why some us are pessimistic is the following

leave the mirages aside, let's see what this deal really is

did we trade for a full year of Sekera? no...we got him at the 59 mark correct?

so we traded him for AT LEAST 23 games and hopefully more if we make the playoffs, and even more so if he's signed

now...working with what we KNOW is the minimum guarantee of 23 games

out of those 23 games (which cost the Kings a 1st rd pick & McKeown) some people that are patient to a fault would say, hey give him a 5 game or so to adapt...although through experience when you trade a player that player would want to have an imediate impact (don't look too far...Stafford, Jagr, Myers all had an immediate impact with their teams). But fine! Give him 5 expensive games of adapting...so now i'm down to a mininum guarantee that Sekera will show up for 18 games...

that my friends, is a very expensive trade

if i told you, hey man here take Voynov for 18 games, in return just give me a 1st round pick AND McKeown...you'd bite? or hesitate?

now hopefully we sign him...but before that...hopefully HE'S DECENT ENOUGH FOR US TO BE WILLING TO SIGN HIM

i say, so far, (I STRESS SO FAR) bad deal

The 1st round pick doesn't matter. If the Kings miss the playoffs, it's next year's pick. If they make the playoffs, well that's the whole point of the trade. McKeown is probably at least a couple years from doing anything in the NHL, and there's always another draft to pick up another prospect.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
The 1st round pick doesn't matter. If the Kings miss the playoffs, it's next year's pick. If they make the playoffs, well that's the whole point of the trade. McKeown is probably at least a couple years from doing anything in the NHL, and there's always another draft to pick up another prospect.

regardless of the year, a 1st round pick is a 1st round pick?

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Anyone who can pass judgement on a deal within a week of it being completed is a maniac.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
regardless of the year, a 1st round pick is a 1st round pick?

Not always.

If the Kings miss, they keep the pick this year, and then I think we're all going to figure the Kings will be a playoff team next year, so the pick they traded will still be in the back half of the 1st round either way. If they're not a playoff team next year, they've got bigger problems, but then I'm sure they can go out and trade for a 1st round pick at the deadline.

The only real downside is if Sekera doesn't sign, whoever the pick is becomes a player, and McKeown goes on to be some great defenseman. That won't be known for years, and if Lombardi is any good at the draft table, I'm guessing he can pick another prospect or two that has some upside.

If the top guys on this team don't pick things up, it doesn't matter who Lombardi would've traded for at the deadline. If the Pacific didn't suck as much as it does, maybe Lombardi doesn't do anything at the deadline. What he did do is a small price to pay though, for potential help, in a potential shot at 3 Cups in 4 years.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I wasn't big on Sekera prior to the deal.

Hearing Futa and Stothers talk about him changed my mind a little.

Buffalo fans said he did not do well paired with RR on his off side.

He was highly praised by Carolina's fan base.

I can't judge this deal in three games.

Hoping when Amart returns that the d pairings will be sorted out.

I'm not sold on McKeown. I think he was excess that could be parted with. We will see if he makes the NHL in the next three years.

The only danger would be to miss out on any chance of McDavid and that was negated within the parameters of the deal.

Yandle was expensive and so was Coburn.

I do think that Sekera will stay in LA if the Kings can play up to their potential down the stretch.

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Sekera has only played two games for us. He's not the reason why we are losing. Give the guy some time to get used to our team and our conference. I hope the Kings play well enough that he wants to stay and Dean is able to make it happen.

Just read all our rival's boards after the trade was announced and that will tell you a lot about how good of a move this was. Sekera was, imo, the best available defenseman and we got him. Yandle would have been amazing as well, but there is no way the Coyotes would give him to a rival team without bending us over first.

Captain Mittens*

Sekera has only played two games for us. He's not the reason why we are losing. Give the guy some time to get used to our team and our conference.
Come on Doc, you know that logic and reason have no place here.

Please freak out and overreact :laugh:

DocWest

Rock Bottom
Oct 21, 2010
Los Angeles
Come on Doc, you know that logic and reason have no place here.

Please freak out and overreact :laugh:
I don't know what has killed more of my brain cells recently, the people who think Sekera is a bust after two games or the people who blame the three game losing streak on not getting that goal against the Sens.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This thread -

9359_aff3.jpeg

Andrej Suckera

More like SUCKera right guys?

Don't steal my crappy jokes! :rant:

I am of course joking. I've never watched Sekera play until the other night. I don't think he has been particularly bad but he has not done anything to impress me either. I am not all that concerned about what the Kings gave up in the deal either.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The Price is not even that high.

Lombardi took the proper steps to protect that First round pick. The Kings get to keep the pick if they miss the playoffs.

This is a deep draft 1-15 picks. The Kings still have a very good shot at those if they miss the playoffs.

If the Kings make the playoffs, mission accomplished. Mckeown is simply a prospect that is four years away from NHL ice, nothing more, nothing less. The Kings have plenty of those in the AHL/Jr's.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
I agree with the dude that understands we traded mckeown and a first to get services for 23 games and playoffs. Any reference to signing him for next year has nothing to do with this deal. We will have the opportunity to present him or not present him an offer just like the 29 other teams. We will also be competing with 29 other teams for his services. The concept that the trade will be worth it if we sign him this summer is ludicrous. We will have that opportunity, and we'd have the opportunity even if the trade never happened.

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
The Kings are now actively pursuing a deal with Sekera (I don't see Lombardi making a deal like he has without the intention of trying to lock the guy down) and they are the only team allowed to do so between now and July 1st. If that is ludicrous then I guess I disagree.

Omni Owl

Mar 9, 2008
If Voynov comes back, I really like our pairings:

Muzzin-Doughty
Sekera-Voynov
Regehr-Martinez
McNabb/McBain/Greene

I guess its a pipe dream, but it'd be awesome if we can get VV back.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I agree with the dude that understands we traded mckeown and a first to get services for 23 games and playoffs. Any reference to signing him for next year has nothing to do with this deal. We will have the opportunity to present him or not present him an offer just like the 29 other teams. We will also be competing with 29 other teams for his services. The concept that the trade will be worth it if we sign him this summer is ludicrous. We will have that opportunity, and we'd have the opportunity even if the trade never happened.

We traded a 1st and McKoewn for 23 games + possible playoff drive + the opportunity to speak to him ahead of UFA.

Look at the Gaborik deal, it gave us a chance to talk to him first and it lead to us signing him. It's pretty doubtful Gaborik would have signed a similar cap friendly deal with LA if he had hit the open market.

A better example is Jaroslav Halak this off-season. Washington traded him to the Islanders after the season was over and he was a UFA to be in a few weeks. The Islanders did this to get the chance to negotiate with him ahead of UFA and it worked, they resigned him.

To suggest the extended window to having sole negotiation rights with a player isn't a value part of the puzzle is wrong.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Except that, if we really want to re-sign him, we have all the time between now and July 1st to discuss that with him. We'd have the advantage in any negotiations. You don't recall teams trading for FA's rights? There's a reason for that.

Now, I doubt that's a huge impetus behind this trade, and I don't think anyone truly disagrees that the trade was for this year alone, anything else we get is a bonus...but look what happened with Gaborik. The point was to plug a major hole on a team that looks ready to do some damage again, do something special in history, and continue their legacy. If that's not worth a 1st and a player that wouldn't see the Kings for another half-decade, I don't know what is.

I still don't know why anyone's freaking out about Sekera for a mystery box and a 5-year-away prospect, never mind evaluating his worth after 2 of the worst games the entire Kings team has played lately (especially when the winning streak made us forget that we're still missing major pieces in Pearson, Martinez, and possibly Voynov).

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I still don't know why anyone's freaking out about Sekera for a mystery box and a 5-year-away prospect.

That's not fair and you know it Brad. Call them what you want but they were a 1st and a kid we just drafted in the 2nd round eight months ago. People aren't necessarily upset about trading a 1st and a decent prospect, they are upset if they feel the Kings could have derived more from them than a rental like Sekera. Maybe they could have, maybe not, but it's not unreasonable for people to feel we didn't get the best bang for the buck and voice their displeasure over it.

bob77

Nov 19, 2014
For me, I'd play Sekera only on the left side. He might be our best left side D right now, ahead of RR, McN, and JM. At right side, he's ahead of Greene, but maybe not McB. I read about him and RR playing together in Buffalo, but did he ever play with McBain in Carolina? Wonder how that went?

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
HFboards will always have a problem with overvaluing prospects and pick in trades, its the nature of the site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad