Speculation: Laine to the Habs via Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
You don't trade a one year removed 3OA selection who's trending to be a top 6C, with strong potential to become a two-way 1C for a 1RW who albeit being able to snipe it, is useless on the ice otherwise.

You trade for the guy so you can shelter Laine by having KK on his line.

It will probably not be as high as Jets fan think due to Laine's known bad ethics & the Jets being strapped financially. (Can't sign both Connor & Laine, and it looks like management prefers Connor).

Suzuki, a 1st, and probably Juulsen to replace their losses on defense. Heck, might include an additional piece like McShane.

I can't see Bergevin offering more than this, and that's obviously coming with an 8 year extension in the books.

Montreal refused to give away Poehling and a 2nd for a proven center in O'Reilly. What makes you think they would give away that/Drouin +++ for the next Pacioretty: a floater who dominates only when he feels like showing up? I'm all for getting Laine but only if the price is right - but then again we are talking about Bergevin who's a big dumbass. I don't think, if it were the other way around, the Jets would want to give away something like Ehlers ++(+) for Laine (had Laine been a Hab). You're giving away big assets for a Fortnite-what-if who goes on some random super hot streaks, and then does **** all the rest of the time...

Star players don’t put up 50 points season while being unidimensional. Kotkaniemi just ain’t going nowhere let alone add a plus

You seem like one of those people that also say stuff like "Mete has zero value cause he hasn't even scored yet"

Anyway, KK is a player that is worth more to Montreal because he is good at more than just one thing... which Laine is not

What

So many posters pretending they know stuff about Laine :laugh:
Have you watched Laine in the playoff?
Wait till he fills up his 6'5" frame.

Habs keep their 30 point now 19 yr old .
He will probably be good, yes.

Jets keep their now 21 yr old 110 goal scorer.
I believe thats behind only gretzky hawerchuk and carson before turning 21.

:thumbu:

All is well

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

What

So many posters pretending they know stuff about Laine :laugh:
Have you watched Laine in the playoff?
Wait till he fills up his 6'5" frame.

Habs keep their 30 point now 19 yr old .
He will probably be good, yes.

Jets keep their now 21 yr old 110 goal scorer.
I believe thats behind only gretzky hawerchuk and carson before turning 21.

:thumbu:

All is well

During the playoff? Have you watched him all season long? He’s a liability in his own zone. You keep him if that’s what you really want but we’re not going to pay 2x the market price just because you feel like it. No one is forcing you to trade him. If he’s that good, you should jump at the possibility to sign him to Ovy’s money long term (He’s reportedly asking for 9-10m on a max contract)

It should be an easy decision, no?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
You don't trade a one year removed 3OA selection who's trending to be a top 6C, with strong potential to become a two-way 1C for a 1RW who albeit being able to snipe it, is useless on the ice otherwise.

You trade for the guy so you can shelter Laine by having KK on his line.

It will probably not be as high as Jets fan think due to Laine's known bad ethics & the Jets being strapped financially. (Can't sign both Connor & Laine, and it looks like management prefers Connor).

Suzuki, a 1st, and probably Juulsen to replace their losses on defense. Heck, might include an additional piece like McShane.

I can't see Bergevin offering more than this, and that's obviously coming with an 8 year extension in the books.

Jets would be nuts to accept what you propose. This doesn't even give us a bunch of used sticks in return.

This has to hurt both sides to get something done. You have to give something to get something.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Jets would be nuts to accept what you propose. This doesn't even give us a bunch of used sticks in return.

This has to hurt both sides to get something done. You have to give something to get something.

So, a top 25 prospect in the game, a 21 years old NHL ready (close to being top 4) RHD and a first round pick in the toughest division in the league is now considered used sticks?

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
Laine scores more goals than Kotkaniemi scores points but Habs fans act like it's insane to include him... lol

You do realize that he was the youngest player in the league right? Even this year with the addition of top draftees from the 19 draft, and some 18 draftees making it, KK will likely still be a top 5 youngest player in the league.

If you look at Barkov's first year in the league at the same young age, you can see why Habs fan don't want to trade KK.

There is a huge difference between an offense first player who breaks into the league and puts up 50-70 pts in his first year but then can't play in his own zone for another 10 seasons versus a kid that can be relied upon defensively already and goes on to put in 30+ pts.

Wouldn't be surprised to see KK get closer to 50 this year, and again, while still being top 5 in youngest players in the league.

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton

To say that Suzuki, who just led the entire CHL in playoff points and has a high offensive ceiling as a top 6C, and that Juulsen, who is trending as a solid puck moving defensive top 4 RHD, and a first is a bunch of used sticks is straight out desilutional.

I understand you want the moon for Laine, any fan base would. But again, Jets are in a position where they have to choose between Connor and Laine, and it looks like they prefer to keep Connor. Teams aren't going to give you next year's 1OA for Laine when he's about to get paid. This is a cap world and the Jets are strapped for money, so other teams will take advantage of the "discounts".

Jets need are a top 6C (uhhhhh ohh right, Suzuki), and a top 4 RHD (ahhhhh ehmm... Juulsen) and on top of that get a 1st and another middle 6C prospect (i.e. McShane).

If you can't see the value in this for a guy you are not even playing on your top line....

David25

Nov 22, 2016
They draft a guy 3rd that they could have gotten with a 12 pick and now they think he's worth more then a 40goal player
That’s false. Coyotes were going to draft him if we was still on the board. Also when Laine isn’t scoring he’s useless on the ice. At least KK has a great 2 way and playmaking skills

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You seem like one of those people that also say stuff like "Mete has zero value cause he hasn't even scored yet"

Anyway, KK is a player that is worth more to Montreal because he is good at more than just one thing... which Laine is not

Have some empathy man. Didn't you know Laine is better defensively than Scheifele and a better passer than Wheeler?

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I think it could look something like Drouin + Suzuki/Poehling + a protected 1st. Feel as though Montreal values Poehling more, but can’t say definitively, and the same with Winnipeg. Wondered about Juulsen, but RD on the Jets looks set for now with just acquired Pionk, and wanting to give Niku a shot. Drouin is best suited for the wing but can additionally play centre, and it’s both of the kids’ natural position which will be an area of need for Winnipeg soon.

Laine had a down year, but I think some people are writing him off wayyyyyy too soon. He won’t just be given away.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I think it could look something like Drouin + Suzuki/Poehling + a protected 1st. Feel as though Montreal values Poehling more, but can’t say definitively, and the same with Winnipeg. Wondered about Juulsen, but RD on the Jets looks set for now with just acquired Pionk, and wanting to give Niku a shot. Drouin is best suited for the wing but can additionally play centre, and it’s both of the kids’ natural position which will be an area of need for Winnipeg soon.

Laine had a down year, but I think some people are writing him off wayyyyyy too soon. He won’t just be given away.

Nah that’s just too much to pay for a guy like Laine. If that’s the price, I’m out

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
To say that Suzuki, who just led the entire CHL in playoff points and has a high offensive ceiling as a top 6C, and that Juulsen, who is trending as a solid puck moving defensive top 4 RHD, and a first is a bunch of used sticks is straight out desilutional.

I understand you want the moon for Laine, any fan base would. But again, Jets are in a position where they have to choose between Connor and Laine, and it looks like they prefer to keep Connor. Teams aren't going to give you next year's 1OA for Laine when he's about to get paid. This is a cap world and the Jets are strapped for money, so other teams will take advantage of the "discounts".

Jets need are a top 6C (uhhhhh ohh right, Suzuki), and a top 4 RHD (ahhhhh ehmm... Juulsen) and on top of that get a 1st and another middle 6C prospect (i.e. McShane).

If you can't see the value in this for a guy you are not even playing on your top line....
No thanks.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Laine scores more goals than Kotkaniemi scores points but Habs fans act like it's insane to include him... lol

Montreal has really needed a number 1 centre for 2 decades now. Kotkaniemi might be that. Laine sure as shit isn't. If we can trade KK for Laine, then swap him for a #1 centre, then we can deal KK + for Laine, but otherwise nah.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Laine has scored 110 goals in the NHL before the age of 22 and you think they are going to take him for that package? Put down the wacky tobacky

He’s also put up a great 50 points season. They’re asking for a guy who outproduced him, most recent WJC D MVP at 18 years old and a 2nd pick? No thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad