Speculation: Laine to the Habs via Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Can't see anything from Montreal that they'd be willing to give up that I'd be ok with as a Jets fan as a return, so I'll just leave a big bag of no thank you to proposed trades and wait for the contract extension.

Romanov, poehling and cayden primeau for laine signed at 7.5 million for 4 years

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Hope it never happens, but the Jets would want Caufield, Drouin, Juulsen, Suzuki, two second-round picks and four first-round picks. Just for Laine, then it wouldn't hurt as much.

Reactions: The Big M

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Jets would want at minimum, the RFA compensation which is 4-1sts or equivalent players.

- Drouin
- Suzuki
- Poehling
- Brook

Don’t expect the Jets accepting any less for a premium Goal scorer.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Jets would want at minimum, the RFA compensation which is 4-1sts or equivalent players.

- Drouin
- Suzuki
- Poehling
- Brook

LOLOL!

All those players >>>> any random first

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I could see Gallagher, as he's under cost control for longer. Jets have cap issues, and if Domi has another strong season he's going to want as much as Laine is likely to get. As a result, requiring a core piece isn't necessarily going to be the case. The Jets also have to try and balance the "win now" with the restocking of the prospect pool. They're not a young team, and they've spent assets to try and push the current group over the top. Montreal has a lot of top end prospects taken in the last 3 drafts that could be used in an offer for one of the top flight RFAs still on the board.
Carolina was the youngest at 25.7. The Jets were tied with Columbus at 25.8. How much younger do you want them to be?

Reactions: koth

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Isn't this almost in lockdown zone? Habs fans are unanimous that they don't want to pay the price that jets fans require for Laine. Jets fans are unanimous that they won't accept the second tier assets that Habs fans are willing to pay.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016

- Drouin
- Suzuki
- Poehling
- Brook

No one is paying the equivalent of 4 first round pick for Laine.

It would have to be a trade that represents less than four 1st picks going to the Jets.

But for those that say that KK is non-starter really I would think about it for a genuine sniper.

It would have to be a top prospect, a roster player and a first round pick. However, there’s absolutely no chance (NONE) that Kotkaniemi is going in a trade.

Isn't this almost in lockdown zone? Habs fans are unanimous that they don't want to pay the price that jets fans require for Laine. Jets fans are unanimous that they won't accept the second tier assets that Habs fans are willing to pay.

Right, second tier assets. You know someone has no clue who was offered in this thread where a combinaison of guys like Drouin (out-pointed Laine), Suzuki, Poehling, Petry, Gallagher, Brooks and first round picks have been offered at some point.

Your boy got 50 points and is looking to get paid superstar money. If ya’ll are happy with Laine and his ask just sign him for 8x9-10m like he’s asking so we can be done with this bullshit thinking that Montreal would need to gut their team and pipeline to acquire a unidimensional, slow sniper who just put 50 points and asking for the moon.

If ya’ll don’t want to trade him just say so but the thread was started by a Jets fans because of the speculation about Laine being linked to the Habs. Jesus people on this forum can be something.

Soul53

May 7, 2019
Québec
Yeah, anyway I just don't see the point. We are very happy with the young guys we have, we just need to wait 2 or 3 years to see which ones will be on the team, but maybe we COULD already have everything we need. One year ago, we needed centers and now the problem seems solved, we still need a sniper but we have Caufield, and we reeeeeaally need a LD, but with Romanov, Struble, Harris, Norlinder, etc. it could be fine. Then, I really like Laine, but... why? Just be patient, we will try to have a lot of fun the next two years with a fast and passionated team, and we will see after that...

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
It would have to be a trade that represents less than four 1st picks going to the Jets.

But for those that say that KK is non-starter really I would think about it for a genuine sniper.

You don't trade a one year removed 3OA selection who's trending to be a top 6C, with strong potential to become a two-way 1C for a 1RW who albeit being able to snipe it, is useless on the ice otherwise.

You trade for the guy so you can shelter Laine by having KK on his line.

It will probably not be as high as Jets fan think due to Laine's known bad ethics & the Jets being strapped financially. (Can't sign both Connor & Laine, and it looks like management prefers Connor).

Suzuki, a 1st, and probably Juulsen to replace their losses on defense. Heck, might include an additional piece like McShane.

I can't see Bergevin offering more than this, and that's obviously coming with an 8 year extension in the books.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
There is nothing I would want from the Habs. To trade Laine on a down year would be one of the Jet's biggest mistakes in franchise history.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Laine is still very young and still has a young guy brain. Jets should be patient with him and trade lesser player if they need to in order to fit both Laine and Connor under the cap.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
You don't trade a one year removed 3OA selection who's trending to be a top 6C, with strong potential to become a two-way 1C for a 1RW who albeit being able to snipe it, is useless on the ice otherwise.

You trade for the guy so you can shelter Laine by having KK on his line.

It will probably not be as high as Jets fan think due to Laine's known bad ethics & the Jets being strapped financially. (Can't sign both Connor & Laine, and it looks like management prefers Connor).

Suzuki, a 1st, and probably Juulsen to replace their losses on defense. Heck, might include an additional piece like McShane.

I can't see Bergevin offering more than this, and that's obviously coming with an 8 year extension in the books.
No thanks.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Montreal refused to give away Poehling and a 2nd for a proven center in O'Reilly. What makes you think they would give away that/Drouin +++ for the next Pacioretty: a floater who dominates only when he feels like showing up? I'm all for getting Laine but only if the price is right - but then again we are talking about Bergevin who's a big dumbass. I don't think, if it were the other way around, the Jets would want to give away something like Ehlers ++(+) for Laine (had Laine been a Hab). You're giving away big assets for a Fortnite-what-if who goes on some random super hot streaks, and then does f*** all the rest of the time...

FlyerMan

Jul 5, 2019
Montreal refused to give away Poehling and a 2nd for a proven center in O'Reilly. What makes you think they would give away that/Drouin +++ for the next Pacioretty: a floater who dominates only when he feels like showing up? I'm all for getting Laine but only if the price is right - but then again we are talking about Bergevin who's a big dumbass. I don't think, if it were the other way around, the Jets would want to give away something like Ehlers ++(+) for Laine (had Laine been a Hab). You're giving away big assets for a Fortnite-what-if who goes on some random super hot streaks, and then does **** all the rest of the time...
well that dumbass fleeced almost all of his trades.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem if it’s Suzuki + roster player (Lehkonen, Byron, Armia?) + top 5 protected first round pick.

Kotkaniemi is a non-starter though
That's not even remotely close. It would need to be Kotkaniemi+. You don't get a star player for scraps.

Reactions: Snowman

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Montreal would be better off trading for a center or left shooting dman. Laine could help their powerplay a lot, but they probably want more in a player considering what they'd need to give up

I'm late to the party but thats a very good point. Montreal needs to be patient with their asset and not waste them on the first guy to patch a hole, potentially creating a new one (I'm looking at your Drouin)

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I'm late to the party but thats a very good point. Montreal needs to be patient with their asset and not waste them on the first guy to patch a hole, potentially creating a new one (I'm looking at your Drouin)

Why are you pointing fingers at Drouin? He got 3 more points than Laine last year

Ciccio1980

Mar 7, 2012
They draft a guy 3rd that they could have gotten with a 12 pick and now they think he's worth more then a 40goal player

Hockey Stick

Jan 3, 2018
You seem like one of those people that also say stuff like "Mete has zero value cause he hasn't even scored yet"

Anyway, KK is a player that is worth more to Montreal because he is good at more than just one thing... which Laine is not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->