Speculation: Laine to the Habs via Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
You don't overpay for players like Laine. He's inconsistent/streaky and all he has is a shot. Paying him 11M+ is a good way to burn money and handcuff yourself.

Not interested. Tkachuk on the other hand.. now that's a hockey player.

Reactions: Deebs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
It’s fine to say that Montreal wouldn’t trade him because of positional need or other legitimate reason.

To say if a trade is consummated, in what world would the Jets overpay on value to extract him from the Habs?

It’s stupid to say it’s a one-to-one trade. It’s better to say he won’t be traded because of certain reasons.

If someone wants to pitch an idea or retort, ignoring actual value wastes everyone’s time and merits mocking.

Then why is the feeling around Jets fans is that it would a severe overpayment to extract Laine out of Winnipeg? Laine seem to be available for different reasons (according to rumors) how come what you’re saying doesn’t work both ways?

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
This is a fun thread to read. A lot of really laughable offers for Laine and even more convoluted and laughable justifications for those offers!

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Unfortunately cap friendly isn't doing you any favours here because there are a number of players out of position. Specifically both Poolman and Pionk are both RHD.

Appleton is a lock to make the team. If Laine is traded, Vesalainen makes the squad. We also have Copp that will play a 3rd line role.

If you pretend Laine is traded for only picks the jets lineup would be:

KFC Scheif Wheels
Perreault Little Ehlers
Vesalainen Copp Roslovic
Chibosov Lowry Appleton
Letestu

JMo Pionk
Stanley Buff
Niku Poolman
Beaulieu Kulikov (Beaulieu and Kulikov may play but the fact remains we don't need any bit pieces for Laine as we have lots of bottom 6 guys still after filling out the lineup.)

We also have Dylan Samberg coming that can play both sides after his college season ends a la Fabbro.

I think the Jets would be targeting Domi, not KK but we could use Brooks as a potential RD replacement for Buff.

Personally i really like Ylonen's speed as well so:

Laine for Domi, Brooks, 2020 1st and Ylonen. If you want Perreault I can include him. If you don't want him, we keep him.
Domi plus a first PLUS brooks PLUSS!!! Ylonen?? Yeah that's way too much.

Reactions: Deebs

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Jets and Habs are not good trade partners.
What it would cost to get Laine, Habs wouldn’t want to pay.
Drouin is a joke offer.
You don’t want him but think everyone else should pay through the butt for him, just because your idiot GM did...... no thanks. Keep him.
Kotkaneimi +
Maybe Suzuki ++ depending on the pluses.
Zero interest or need for bottom 6 scrubs, depth D, or anything else not top 6 or top 4.
We don’t need Byron, Danault, or any of the others. Don’t want quantity for quality.

Personally, we’re better off keeping Laine.
I’d rather trade Wheeler and/or fire the coach that refuses to play Laine on the top line.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Drouin is a joke offer.
You don’t want him but think everyone else should pay through the butt for him, just because your idiot GM did...... no thanks. Keep him.
Kotkaneimi +
Zero interest or need for bottom 6 scrubs, depth D, or anything else not top 6 or top 4.
We don’t need Byron, Danault, or any of the others. Don’t want quantity for quality.

I’d rather trade Wheeler and/or fire the coach that refuses to play Laine on the top line.
Drouin: Obv he won't fetch Laine but we're more than happy to keep him. He has a lot of untapped potential and it's just a matter of time before he breaks out. FYI he was on pace for 70 points thru the first 50 games or so. So the potential is clearly there.
Kotkaniemi: HELL NO!
Suzuki: yeah depending on the pluses. Btw Danault would settle in perfectly as the 2C for the Jets. He can play defensive assignments like a beast and still pot in 50 points with good but nothing special linemates (Tatar and Gally are good but not first liners).

Most I'd offer would be Suzuki + Petry + Danault. That would probably destroy our team for a year or so, but in the end it would be worth it. One step back, two steps forward type of trade.

Reactions: Eons

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Drouin: Obv he won't fetch Laine but we're more than happy to keep him. He has a lot of untapped potential and it's just a matter of time before he breaks out. FYI he was on pace for 70 points thru the first 50 games or so. So the potential is clearly there.
Kotkaniemi: HELL NO!
Suzuki: yeah depending on the pluses. Btw Danault would settle in perfectly as the 2C for the Jets. He can play defensive assignments like a beast and still pot in 50 points with good but nothing special linemates (Tatar and Gally are good but not first liners).

Most I'd offer would be Suzuki + Petry + Danault. That would probably destroy our team for a year or so, but in the end it would be worth it. One step back, two steps forward type of trade.
No thanks.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and an unprotected 1st.
So let's say your team had the third overall pick in next years draft. You'd be willing to trade another 1st rounder, 13 overall, and another 1st rounder 15th-20th overall, to move up one slot to 2nd?

Lorenzo1000

Sep 8, 2003
Winnipeg
I realize this is speculation but the Jets aren't trading Laine. Like we didn't already have 40 pages of this that closed a week ago. :help:

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
I hate the fans of both the teams in this thread.

I think realistically its either Kotko for Laine straight up, or some combo of Drouin/Petry + Suzuki/Poehling + 1st

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Laine+Caufield ... yeah I think that would solve their PP problems longterm

but Id give Gallagher/Drouin, Suzuki, protected 1st

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Drouin is a joke offer.
Kotkaneimi +

Personally, I wouldn’t have a problem if it’s Suzuki + roster player (Lehkonen, Byron, Armia?) + top 5 protected first round pick.

Kotkaniemi is a non-starter though

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
We ain't trading our first unless it's protected.

Weren’t you guys just a few points out of a PO spot? I think Laine would get those few extra wins needed to make the playoffs. That lottery pick would shortly become a 20-25 OA. No need to protect

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Weren’t you guys just a few points out of a PO spot? I think Laine would get those few extra wins needed to make the playoffs. That lottery pick would shortly become a 20-25 OA. No need to protect
I am not confident Laine makes us a better team in the short term esp after the substractions needed to close out the deal and the large potential most our players revert back to their mean after almost all of them had career years (see VGK)

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Can't see anything from Montreal that they'd be willing to give up that I'd be ok with as a Jets fan as a return, so I'll just leave a big bag of no thank you to proposed trades and wait for the contract extension.

Reactions: Lolonegoal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->