Speculation: Laine to the Habs via Trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Seeing/hearing there has been some discussions between the Habs & Jets regarding a trade for Laine. I'm not necessarily advocating the trade, but it is a interesting idea. I'm listing this thread as speculation bc I haven't personally seen any major insiders saying this is a real rumour to-date. If you have more links feel free to share them regarding trade rumours for Laine to the Habs.

The Montreal Canadiens should try to acquire Patrik Laine via trade

HockeyBuzz.com - Brandon Smillie - Acquiring Laine Would Exceptional... But At What Cost?

Thoughts?

Keep it respectful people, it's just summer chat/speculation none of us GM's or can influence a trade.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I don’t really know what the habs have to offer?
giphy.gif

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Habs have a lot to offer...but I think it would take a core piece (Domi, Gallagher) plus a top prospect (Suzuki, Poehling), plus a 1st to even get the conversation started.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm not really sure why this thread was started without some NEW info?
Any posts suggesting a trade between Habs / Jets for Laine have already been posted over and over again re: the alternative to an offer sheet.
The reality is that the trade would cost MTL so much that it wouldn't be worth it.
If it doesn't then there's no way the Jets should trade Laine.

Pretty simple.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Realistically, if Winnipeg trades Laine, they won't be getting a premium asset in return. At this stage of their respective careers, Montreal probably wouldn't even trade Kotkaniemi straight up; let alone use him as a centerpiece in a package.

If Montreal trades for him, I'd expect the offer to be something along the lines of Ryan Poehling, Jeff Petry, and Montreal's 2020 1st (top-3 protected). It doesn't contain a premium asset, but it contains a bonafide top-4 RHD and a center with top-6 potential - two huge needs for Winnipeg - as well as a pick that could become a premium asset down the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnapVirus

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I think both the Habs and Laine would benefit from it. It sounds like he's slightly at odds with the top players in Winnipeg, and he's getting wasted in a way by not being in the 1st line. Part of it is that they do have other good 1st line wingers to compete with Laine, whereas Montreal doesn't.

If you want to use a sniper correctly, you need to pair them with top passers that can feed them. I'm sure Laine would have had 10 - 15 more goals last season if he had been played in the 1st line all season. And it's not just that the goal is to get him goals. If you score enough goals, it acts as a demotivator for the opposing team. For example St Louis after Laine scored 5 goals. It's a tough spot to turn around.

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
I think both the Habs and Laine would benefit from it. It sounds like he's slightly at odds with the top players in Winnipeg, and he's getting wasted in a way by not being in the 1st line. Part of it is that they do have other good 1st liners, whereas Montreal doesn't.

If you want to use a sniper correctly, you need to pair them with top passers that can feed them. I'm sure Laine would have had 10 - 15 more goals last season if he had been played in the 1st line all season. And it's not just that the goal is to get him goals. If you score enough goals, it acts as a demotivator for the opposing team. For example St Louis after Laine scored 5 goals. It's a tough spot to turn around.
Montreal has plenty of good playmakers (Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin) that could feed Laine. Him and Weber on the same PP would be scary.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Montreal has plenty of good playmakers (Kotkaniemi, Domi, Drouin) that could feed Laine. Him and Weber on the same PP would be scary.
Yup. What I meant was that in Montreal, there aren't that many competing wingers for the 1st line spot, if Laine was there. In Winnipeg, there's at least 3 equals (in a way - they do play differently).

Kotkaniemi15

Sep 18, 2018
Montreal
Yup. What I meant was that in Montreal, there aren't that many competing wingers for the 1st line spot, if Laine was there. In Winnipeg, there's at least 3 equals (in a way - they do play differently).
I love Laine as a player but he would have been the 4th highest winger in terms of points on Montreal last year. He would've been 5th if Shaw had played the full season. That being said, I do think he'll rebound and would love to have on the team.

Yorkshire Leaf

Nov 13, 2014
The City of York
I think both the Habs and Laine would benefit from it. It sounds like he's slightly at odds with the top players in Winnipeg, and he's getting wasted in a way by not being in the 1st line. Part of it is that they do have other good 1st line wingers to compete with Laine, whereas Montreal doesn't.

There are probably good reasons why the coach didn’t play him on the top line, they probably felt that the other aspects of his game in which he is weaker detracted from the top line and would have made them worse overall and the team worse overall. He may have potted a few more (I highly doubt 10-15) goals but others may have scored less and the top line may have been scored on more.

For me Laine is a luxury player and definitely not worth giving up a good roster player, good prospect and a first for, as it would not make you a better team overall. If you have a good team, with a good core locked up on good contracts, added him to put you over the top, but I don’t think you can build around him.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
I love Laine as a player but he would have been the 4th highest winger in terms of points on Montreal last year. He would've been 5th if Shaw had played the full season. That being said, I do think he'll rebound and would love to have on the team.
You're using the points he got last year playing with Winnipeg to see where he would've played on a Montreal Canadiens team. What? No, that's not how it works. Those points don't exist if Laine played with Habs last season.

Reactions: Psych0dad

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Realistically, if Winnipeg trades Laine, they won't be getting a premium asset in return. At this stage of their respective careers, Montreal probably wouldn't even trade Kotkaniemi straight up; let alone use him as a centerpiece in a package.

If Montreal trades for him, I'd expect the offer to be something along the lines of Ryan Poehling, Jeff Petry, and Montreal's 2020 1st (top-3 protected). It doesn't contain a premium asset, but it contains a bonafide top-4 RHD and a center with top-6 potential - two huge needs for Winnipeg - as well as a pick that could become a premium asset down the road.

I don't know if you're trolling Jets fans or not but imo, I think Laine holds more value than that. I get that he's still pretty raw and weak defensively, but he's a #2 pick only 21 years old.

Jets wouldn't give him away for Petry (31 years old, 2 years left), Poehling [1 NHL game (albeit a helluva game against Leafs)] and a TOP-3 protected pick.

Laine is still growing and learning the game. #2 overall pick. He's a 6'5" right winger with a dynamic scoring touch and immense offensive awareness. 184 points (110 goals) in 237 games is nothing to scoff at. He also suffered a concussion early in his career courtesy of Jake McCabe.

How can a #2 overall pick with 3 years of NHL experience not fetch a premium asset? But then a top-3 protected pick (4-31) could become that?

Anyway, like others have said, this is pretty much no deal from both sides. Winnipeg would guaranteed ask Kotka+, Habs would hang up because they can't afford to trade a cost-controlled, up and coming top-6 centre. They are already just getting by on C, if that.

Last edited:

Noldo

May 28, 2007
If Drouin + Suzuki + 1st (preferably with some top-3 protection) + young defenseman would be enough, Habs should definitely do it, I think that even if one would have to swap Suzuki for Poehling.

Practically Habs would trade Drouin, Suzuki and young defenseman for their first rounder in 2021 and 2nd and 3rd round picks in 2020 plus 1-3.5 million in cap space (difference between such a trade and Offer Sheet just below four first compensation level compared to signing Laine for similar term (5 years) at 9 to 9.5 million or even to a 6-7 million bridge).

But if that would be sufficient, would there be other teams offering similar package?

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
What ever makes bergevin very uncomfortable in not wanting to do the trade is what it will take

Corky

Mar 21, 2008
Singapore
As it is always the case with these trades, if it does happen, Laine will fetch much less than what people might be expecting. Something around Drouin + B prospect + 2nd round pick is what I would expect. You do not trade a 21 year old player with 184 points if you think he is on a growth trajectory and just entering his prime. If you trade him, its because you perceive that there are some issues with him and you’re trying to monetize him before his value falls down to much less. The package you will get reflects that, because other GM’s are aware of the same issues.

What is a B prospect from a Habs standpoint: Anyone not named Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Romanov or Caufield. I could see the Habs trading Josh Brook in such a package (B+ prospect)

If Laine is so good he is worth Kotkaniemi + an A prospect + an unprotected first (as an example), then that trades does not happen because its too risky for both teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad