Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
yeah i am not sure how people can say laine doesn't hit especially compared to other players in our top 6

laines best game imo last year was against Minnesota and was really strong against STL in the POs (might have been his best individual play in 18-19 post November). Maybe it's "physicality bias" but whatever the case is, IMO he's at his best when he's physically engaged.
100% agreed, i remember watching some of that from him last season. I was happy to see him play like that, it resulted in him getting the puck alot more, and he was a good backchecker too. He didn't get enough credit for his play last season outside of the Jets fanbase.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
100% agreed, i remember watching some of that from him last season. I was happy to see him play like that, it resulted in him getting the puck alot more, and he was a good backchecker too. He didn't get enough credit for his play last season outside of the Jets fanbase.

He didn't get enough credit from inside of our fanbase either, if you ask me.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

I said it previously he is our most aggressive forward in our top 6 by a fair margin. Only behind Lowry with our forwards. Our defense is incredibly soft too so I would put laine top 3 in our entire team for grit and aggressiveness.

What more do we want, he’s completely changed his game for Maurice and has done everything asked of him

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

A lot of that deal for the Jets is obviously riding on Necas taking at least two more steps forward. Maybe he does, but there is risk there IMO. Necas is only 1 year younger than Laine and hasn't shown nearly as much.

Pesce is a HF darling, but IMO he's very good and not great, and I would certainly want an absolute clean bill of health on his shoulder injury as that could be an issue.

Reactions: surixon

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
A lot of that deal for the Jets is obviously riding on Necas taking at least two more steps forward. Maybe he does, but there is risk there IMO. Necas is only 1 year younger than Laine and hasn't shown nearly as much.

Pesce is a HF darling, but IMO he's very good and not great, and I would certainly want an absolute clean bill of health on his shoulder injury as that could be an issue.
would you rather do Hamilton (assuming some sort of extension in place) with a piece lesser than Necas?

Hiukafen

Sep 14, 2016
Oh, Laine would love to play 9 games against Stars this season with Aho.

That trade would be terrible for Jets but I think they will anyway trade Laine so why don’t just do it now if Pesce is the answer.

Reactions: Ippenator

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Oh, Laine would love to play 9 games against Stars this season with Aho.

That trade would be terrible for Jets but I think they will anyway trade Laine so why don’t just do it now if Pesce is the answer.
Stars are not in the Metro division though so idk how he'd get to face them so many times.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
would you rather do Hamilton (assuming some sort of extension in place) with a piece lesser than Necas?

Hamilton is a pending UFA so he is worth less then Peace. I'd want their first attached if it is Hamilton instead of Pesce.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I gotta admit seeing possibly Aho & Laine reunited makes me salivate as a Finn. But you can't discuss hockey at the canes board, it's not very active and they seem more into barbeque or whatever...

I can't speak for Laine, but from a player perspective, I think he maybe hasn't got the kind of role he has been hoping for. If you get neither the role or money, it's a clear indication the franchise doesn't think of you as highly as you perhaps feel they should. It can be argued all day whether Laine actually would have deserved a bigger role or not, but the coaching or franchise hasn't really done anything that says they have Laine as a core piece in their plans for years to come. He was picked 2nd OA and he entered the league in a storm, I think it's not completely unreasonable expectation from his side that the Jets had bought in at some point. Like if scoring 80 goals in your teenage seasons doesn't prove your worth as a player and future star, it rises the question what would or that maybe the bar is one that will just constantly keep rising.

We also keep even hearing how Scheifele doesn't want to play with him and whatever, why would Laine be motivated to stay if that's true? Franchise 1C doesn't like him, coach doesn't like how he plays the game, GM doesn't want to pay him. Hey, if no one likes you, maybe you need to also look in the mirror, but as far as on-ice play etc. goes, Laine has done everything to try and fit what coach wants of him and to be a good team mate for the 1st line. As a human being, sometimes it's not that you need to change or others need to change but just that the fit isn't there and then you move on. Who knows, maybe it's a case like that.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I gotta admit seeing possibly Aho & Laine reunited makes me salivate as a Finn. But you can't discuss hockey at the canes board, it's not very active and they seem more into barbeque or whatever...

I can't speak for Laine, but from a player perspective, I think he maybe hasn't got the kind of role he has been hoping for. If you get neither the role or money, it's a clear indication the franchise doesn't think of you as highly as you perhaps feel they should. It can be argued all day whether Laine actually would have deserved a bigger role or not, but the coaching or franchise hasn't really done anything that says they have Laine as a core piece in their plans for years to come. He was picked 2nd OA and he entered the league in a storm, I think it's not completely unreasonable expectation from his side that the Jets had bought in at some point. Like if scoring 80 goals in your teenage seasons doesn't prove your worth as a player and future star, it rises the question what would or that maybe the bar is one that will just constantly keep rising.

We also keep even hearing how Scheifele doesn't want to play with him and whatever, why would Laine be motivated to stay if that's true? Franchise 1C doesn't like him, coach doesn't like how he plays the game, GM doesn't want to pay him. Hey, if no one likes you, maybe you need to also look in the mirror, but as far as on-ice play etc. goes, Laine has done everything to try and fit what coach wants of him and to be a good team mate for the 1st line. As a human being, sometimes it's not that you need to change or others need to change but just that the fit isn't there and then you move on. Who knows, maybe it's a case like that.

That's only from some of the fans.

For offensive production standpoint.
55 and 26 are gold...

See video above

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I liked the improvements in Laine’s overall game last year.
We shall soon see where he takes this.
It’s entirely possible that our overall scheme might not be the best fit for him.
What we should do is enjoy his play while he is here.
If he ends up being traded we MUST get Chevy’s very best in return.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad