Player Discussion: Laine (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
As soon as Maurice took laines chance at a rocket Richard trophy in his rookie year in garbage time none the less it was over IMO.

Laine has tried to make it work and just wants to be the best. It won’t happen here for the next 4 years
If he wants to be the best he should play like it. Crosby drives bigger scrubs.
I’m surprised you aren’t unhappy he is soft for his size. He doesn’t throw as many hits as he could.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not really a pattern Imo. I dont really count Kane and Bogo as both were not drafted by this org.

Trouba didn't want to be here from the start and clearly had personal reasons for wanting out.

We are looking at Laine and Roslovic. There are numerous Roslovic caliber players who want out every year due to being blocked by superior talent.

Laine is most certainly not happy with Moe and his usage but to be fair he hasn't exactly forced the issue either. Perhaps a more mature and focused Laine finally takes that step as a player and makes it impossible for Maurice to take him off the ice.

Maurice isn't blameless in this imo but Laine needs to take some ownership for his play and development as well.

Agreed

I'm happy for you, that you have formed your own list of critical assets based upon your own criteria. And thank you for sharing it. It is solid imho.

For most important asset in Jets 2.0 history, my list is Laine.

Laine has already demonstrated the potential to be the most prolific pure goal scorers that the Jets have ever had. Developed and utilized effectively by the Jets org, he could become one of the most prolific league wide. That would stand out for us as a franchise for decades. We only had Teemu for four seasons yet some will cling to his success to this day as if he was a Jet for most of his career. Rather than have Laine take his talent and light up the league elsewhere like Teemu, I'd like to see this Winnipeg Jets 2.0 organization, supposedly a Draft and Develop organization, actually take their highest team draft pick and help him flourish as a Jet in the NHL at the highest levels. I am quite tired of good players, sometimes star players quitting early, asking for trades or publicly demanding them. This is not good for a franchise reputation long term, not to mention team performance on the ice, or for fans who buy jerseys with names on the back. lol

If you want to talk about what one player will have the greatest impact on the team's performance in the standings this year, it is in my opinion Helle. Goalies have an oversized impact on the outcome of any single game. If you want to talk about what one player will have the greatest impact on helping Wheeler hide that that he is really playing at second line player level, it is Scheifele (with the help of a coach who will give Wheeler excessive powerplay and empty net minutes). If you want to talk about our most important center, it is Scheifele. Take Scheifele and Laine off this team and you get what we had against Calgary - an underpowered group of skaters trying hard to win a low scoring game on the back of a Vezina keeper. Wheeler was basically invisible without Scheifele to carry him, except when he was punching Tkachuks fist with his chin. But good on him for being willing to go.

I hope that Laine brings his A game this year. I believe he will because it looks like his time with the Jets will come to an end soon and he will want to earn the big $ deal on his next contract.

I could talk for hours why & how I disagree with you using both my opinions and using facts & data......But I don’t think anything anyone would say would influence your opinion so we can agree to disagree.

I'm a big Laine fan, and I hope that the Jets find a way to keep him. But if not, he needs to be viewed as a valuable asset. I hope his value goes up substantially over the next 56 games, because it gives the Jets more latitude to either re-sign him or trade him. In the end, if he needs to be traded to balance the cap / roster, that s not the end of the world. He's still young and will fetch a strong trade return. The better he plays, the better the return. I'm expecting a big year from Laine.

Agreed

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I’m surprised you aren’t unhappy he is soft for his size. He doesn’t throw as many hits as he could.
I thought he was near the top of the Jets for hits? He plays much better with an edge.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
As soon as Maurice took laines chance at a rocket Richard trophy in his rookie year in garbage time none the less it was over IMO.

Laine has tried to make it work and just wants to be the best. It won’t happen here for the next 4 years

I still can't believe that... such old school bullshit

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

WPG top hitters (F) 19-20:

1. Lowry 130
2. Bourque 125
3. Wheeler 102
4. Laine 97
5. Perreault 69
6. Copp 59
9.Ehlers 36
10. Scheifele 34
13. Connor 18

Compared to other players on the top6, he seems to hit quite alot.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
WPG top hitters 19-20:

1. Lowry 130
2. Bourque 125
3. Wheeler 102
4. Laine 97
5. Perreault 69
6. Copp 59
9.Ehlers 36
10. Scheifele 34
13. Connor 18

yeah i am not sure how people can say laine doesn't hit especially compared to other players in our top 6

laines best game imo last year was against Minnesota and was really strong against STL in the POs (might have been his best individual play in 18-19 post November). Maybe it's "physicality bias" but whatever the case is, IMO he's at his best when he's physically engaged.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
And @Teemusalami204 will tell you we are soft and be eaten alive. You need your Finnish Thor to throw some lightning hits not just be at the top on the team. I’d say Ehlers more consistently plays with an edge.

Pionk led us in hits I beleive with 136?? My number could be off.

130 of those hits wouldn’t hurt my 1 year old son though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
WPG top hitters 19-20:

1. Lowry 130
2. Bourque 125
3. Wheeler 102
4. Laine 97
5. Perreault 69
6. Copp 59
9.Ehlers 36
10. Scheifele 34
13. Connor 18

Are we comparing him to his teammates? He wants to be the best and earn the most not just slightly better than his teammates.
Kc won’t throw a hit for the life of him, Wheeler is old and still had more hits. You need Laine to step it up if you want toughness from our top 6 not rely on his much smaller Robin. Also Schief’s nickname is Bambi.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Are we comparing him to his teammates? He wants to be the best and earn the most not just slightly better than his teammates.
Kc won’t throw a hit for the life of him, Wheeler is old and still had more hits. You need Laine to step it up if you want toughness from our top 6 not rely on his much smaller Robin. Also Schief’s nickname is Bambi.

where is pionk ? Oops wrong post lol

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Ok lets compare him league wise then. Top 30 scorers with most hits:

1.Ovechkin 184
2.JT Miller 123
3. Wheeler 102
4. Laine 97
5. Pacioretty 90
6. Stamkos 69

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
yeah i am not sure how people can say laine doesn't hit especially compared to other players in our top 6

laines best game imo last year was against Minnesota and was really strong against STL in the POs (might have been his best individual play in 18-19 post November). Maybe it's "physicality bias" but whatever the case is, IMO he's at his best when he's physically engaged.

Laine is our most aggressive top 6 forward. And 2nd of all forwards after Lowry, I think his best game was the ot game against Toronto last year. I watch the ot a lot and he was amazing

Also laine being our 2nd most aggressive forward is very pathetic

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Ok lets compare him league wise then. Top 30 scorers most hits:

1.Ovechkin 184
2.JT Miller 123
3. Wheeler 102
4. Laine 97
5. Pacioretty 90
6. Stamkos 69
Ovie threw 90 more hits. How many guys are 6’5. I expect a buff. Or at least a tkchauk with the scoring of a Laine.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm a big Laine fan, and I hope that the Jets find a way to keep him. But if not, he needs to be viewed as a valuable asset. I hope his value goes up substantially over the next 56 games, because it gives the Jets more latitude to either re-sign him or trade him. In the end, if he needs to be traded to balance the cap / roster, that s not the end of the world. He's still young and will fetch a strong trade return. The better he plays, the better the return. I'm expecting a big year from Laine.

Yea I align with your post. I think Patrik is a character and I am really hoping he has a big season for all parties sake.

The thing is though assets come and go from all orgs and as long as the Jets do ok on trades then its part of the sport. If a player walks and all we do is free up their cap space then that isn't great if they have value (Ryan Suter in Nashville comes to mind). I don't personally need to beat our market or org up over this type of event. I get it we are on the low end of the spectrum for UFA's and we are on allot of no trade lists. With that being said both DeMelo and Stastny were fine joining our team and staying on so like everything else this isn't black and white its grey. Part of the game is trades, roster management, and cap management. Some players will be happy with our Org and some will want to leave. Pretty much every team in the NHL deals with this challenge. Eventually every player is going to come and go its really the one constant.

At the end of the day it really is part of the business.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Ovie threw 90 more hits. How many guys are 6’5. I expect a buff. Or at least a tkchauk with the scoring of a Laine.
You may need to adjust your expectations to reality then. Laine keeps developing the power element in his game but it’s just one of the tools in his all star tool box.

Reactions: DRW204

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Pionk led us in hits I beleive with 136?? My number could be off.

130 of those hits wouldn’t hurt my 1 year old son though.

Pionk may deal out mostly pee wee hits, but he has demonstrated that he can take big league crushing blows, and get up and just keep on going. I admire his willingness to go hard into the corners even against guys way bigger than him.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Pionk may deal out mostly pee wee hits, but he has demonstrated that he can take big league crushing blows, and get up and just keep on going. I admire his willingness to go hard into the corners even against guys way bigger than him.

Your right for the most part. But when the pressure amped up against Calgary he folded like a cheap tent.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

No one out of the top scorers gets close to Ovi numbers. There were 14 forwards who hit more(or as much as) than Ovi and they averaged 24pts scored.

Reactions: NotCommitted

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the gap between ovie and jt miller (2nd place) is 61 hits. That's a larger gap than Miller and Stamkos at 6.... need to kill the ovie and laine comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad