Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Jesus christ like i'm here just exclusively talking about Laine and yet it's littered with novels about Matthews, like nobody is comparing Laine to him here and yet yall are here triggered af. I was talking solely about his shot and ability to score and laid a argument for why i think it's fair to say he's a elite goal scorer and somehow there are triggered posters rambling about Matthews.. Like jesus christ everyone knows he's more accomplished and has scored more it's nothing new.

Let me bring some balance and reason back into this discussion while steering it back on topic by saying that if Auston Matthews played in Alex Ovechkin’s era, he would have scored 98 goals a season. Goalies back then weren’t very good and it’s debatable if Ovi would be a superstar in today’s league.

Alas, Laine would not have succeeded back then. As a soft European he would’ve been bullied into submission by how physical it was. He probably wouldn’t have made most rosters in the compressed 30-team era.

There, hope that helps.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
That was a ridiculous proposal that betrays your lack of hockey acumen. Please don’t litter this thread with that kind of slop.
That was not a proposal. That was what you can get from Laine at this moment. Please be free to upset yourself if they trade him.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
You literally responded to a guy who got into an argument over this statement.

So, you either have the guy he responded to on ignore (always possible) and missed the context, or have just gotten into an argument and have forgotten what started it. If I go into a thread about Matthews and say he's the best young center in the league, I'd obviously expect a rebuttal involving the usual names (McDavid, MacKinnon, etc) and if a 3rd party jumped in saying "this thread isn't about McDavid or MacKinnon" it would ignore the flow of conversation that created the debate and those players to be brought into the argument in the first place.
Like i said those bad apples do exist Mr Thomas is probably known for being the most biased Finnish poster to have ever existed and is not to be taken seriously.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
No one said that once. Seriously, stop posting. You're flaming and straw manning in such a haphazard manner that you should be embarrassed. Take an Internet break.
I should be embarrassed? Hah, what's embarrassing is all the posters who can't stop making everything about Matthews here, as usual.

Last edited:

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Just go look at Rabid Ranger one of the most known Laine haters he sure did say so
These people are like scorned lovers or something. Why Do they spend all their time hating someone, surely they could go talk about a favorite player?

Reactions: Psych0dad

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Well you’re not really asking, you’re making assumptions based on it being true. Not an investigative journalist? So you can’t use google? Do you get direction across the city from HF boards too?

I'm not making any assumptions. I put several cautions about whether it's true or not. My questions were predicated on it being true, but I still put that disclaimer in there and wondered out loud if they were true. Hey, thanks for your helpful insightful answer though. It's people like you that really make the world go round. No oxygen being wasted here, and for that I salute you!

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
LOL Suzuki had one good week in the bubble and somehow that eclipses Laine being a proven elite player for several years despite being only a year and a half older.
well if ur stat watching then sure maybe u might think Suzuki had just one good week but reality is that he played every single game amazingly and was by far the Habs best skater on a gamely basis.

Mulletman

Feb 23, 2013
I should be embarrassed? Hah, what's embarrassing is all the posters who can't stop making everything about Matthews here, as usual.
Well there's nothing we can do about that. Matthews and Laine will always be connected. They're like the modern day Crosby and Ovechkin. They were drafted 1 and 2 overall. Jets fans wanted Matthews since they felt they deserved him as a price for the original Jets moving to Arizona. Us Leafs fans wanted Laine as he publicy stated that he wanted to play for the Leafs before the draft. Both of them are off to historically good starts and an argument can be made about either one of them being better.

Reactions: Tramux

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Well there's nothing we can do about that. Matthews and Laine will always be connected. They're like the modern day Crosby and Ovechkin. They were drafted 1 and 2 overall. Jets fans wanted Matthews since they felt they deserved him as a price for the original Jets moving to Arizona. Us Leafs fans wanted Laine as he publicy stated that he wanted to play for the Leafs before the draft. Both of them are off to historically good starts and an argument can be made about either one of them being better.

except, Crosby and Ovie weren’t drafted 1 and 2 overall, so there is no connection that way..

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010
One thing that seems pretty consistent in these boards is that with all the "I know this and I know that", and "you will never get this or that". We always seem to be wrong and surprised when the actual trade is made, or not made. lol

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
LOL Suzuki had one good week in the bubble and somehow that eclipses Laine being a proven elite player for several years despite being only a year and a half older.
Suzuki is a cheap young C not trying to angle his way out of town. And he’s got more defensive upside than a one trick pony like Laine.

Laine is a one dimensional player that wants a huge new contract and doesn’t want to be in Peg. Good luck to your GM trying to win a trade with that backdrop. If a quality cost controlled top 4 defender gets moved for a low 3rd round pick in a weak draft, don’t hold your breath Peg gets some awesome offer on Laine. Ain’t happening and you’ll perish for lack of oxygen

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Suzuki is a cheap young C not trying to angle his way out of town. And he’s got more defensive upside than a one trick pony like Laine.

Laine is a one dimensional player that wants a huge new contract and doesn’t want to be in Peg. Good luck to your GM trying to win a trade with that backdrop. If a quality cost controlled top 4 defender gets moved for a low 3rd round pick in a weak draft, don’t hold your breath Peg gets some awesome offer on Laine. Ain’t happening and you’ll perish for lack of oxygen
TROLLLOLOLOLOL!

Reactions: Guttersniped

JetFan4Ever

May 23, 2010

Well I guess if you're going to be a "one trick pony", a goal scoring machine is a pretty good pony to be.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Suzuki is a cheap young C not trying to angle his way out of town.
There are the same number of sources claiming Suzuki wants out of town as Laine
Laine is a one dimensional player
Another poster that didn’t watch hockey this year I guess
that wants a huge new contract
Any source for this or just more trolling?
and doesn’t want to be in Peg.
Again, more sorceress nonsense
If a quality cost controlled top 4 defender gets moved for a low 3rd round pick in a weak draft, don’t hold your breath
Perfect example. What about when Patches ended up costing Vegas a total of Suzuki, a 1st, 2 2nds, and a 3rd? All trades must equal that same value right? There couldn’t possibly be any reason that Schmidt only went for the value he did?
Ain’t happening and you’ll perish for lack of oxygen
And the big finale! Nice finish, very dramatic.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016

It's probably making no sense to you since Laine is considered a borderline superstar, but many habs fans would be bummed to give Suzuki for Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad