Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
LOL Suzuki had one good week in the bubble and somehow that eclipses Laine being a proven elite player for several years despite being only a year and a half older.
Suzuki was one of our best players all season long and ended up being our #1 center in hes rookie year so yes we value him ALOT.....

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
There is a pretty big disparity in what they've done in the last 2 years. Matthews is 2nd in goals since he came into the league. I can't even imagine how crazy Laine fans (and I mean Laine Fans first and somewhere after Jets, if at all) would be if he was attached to Hyman for his first 2 years in the league, considering how often they blame his linemates for not reaching some of the heights they predicted for him, and its not like he has gotten significantly less time than Matthews or Pastrnak in that 4 year time frame.

The argument you responded to didn't say Laine was one of the best young goalscorers in the league. It said he was the best. Which sort of brings Matthews into the discussion, since he's been the better goal scorer, is from the same draft class, and seems way less relient on linemates to create goal-scoring opportunities for him.

Jets fan here. First off it’s nice this debate is happening on the main board where it belongs.

I made the same point on our board. I wondered how must Matthews have felt when Managment went out and got Tavares and then proceeded to hand him Marner (their franchise winger) to play with at 5v5 and meanwhile Matthews gets stuck with Hyman? Laine fans would lose their mind. Interesting that Matthews seems to be able to drive a line and fill the net at even strength no matter who he plays with?

Now Dubas did make up for it to Auston by paying max amount for 5 years (mostly RFA) but that’s another story. Way to grind it out Kyle.

As a Jets fan my belief is there is a very poor trade market for Laine this off season and I’d be surprised to see him moved now. This flat cap market is going to make it tough to get trades done where players are going to want new deals. Chevy is patient and he still has 3 years of team control left so no need to panic.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Does Dumba + Greenway + Pitt's 1st move the needle any for Jet fans?
I like Dumba and Greenway, but if you make an offer with pieces that you wouldn’t really be upset about it’s probably not going to work.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Yeah I saw a sportsnet/TSN(slips my mind which it was) article that had Dumba + Kunin + Pitt 1st. Figured that was the most similar now that Kunin is gone.

It did feel light to me, but unfortunately whenever trading a really good player away the team always seem to lose the trade.

Full disclosure, I'm on team hoping Laine stays with the jets since I hate seeing small markets lose their stars.

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Yeah I saw a sportsnet/TSN(slips my mind which it was) article that had Dumba + Kunin + Pitt 1st. Figured that was the most similar now that Kunin is gone.

It did feel light to me, but unfortunately whenever trading a really good player away the team always seem to lose the trade.

Full disclosure, I'm on team hoping Laine stays with the jets since I hate seeing small markets lose their stars.
It just doesn't really fill any needs for the Jets. Dumba isn't the type of defenseman the Jets need and Greenway has size, but other than that nothing that the Jets need.

The Jets still have Laine for 3 years, so there is no need to rush and make a trade now, unless Chevy gets exactly what he wants.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
I like Dumba and Greenway, but if you make an offer with pieces that you wouldn’t really be upset about it’s probably not going to work.
Yeah at this current point, If i was the jets I'd say no.

It may be a different story if Dumba bounces back and is trending to being a 50 point Dman, and Pitt looks to be a lottery team at the TDL.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
I made the same point on our board. I wondered how must Matthews have felt when Managment went out and got Tavares and then proceeded to hand him Marner (their franchise winger) to play with at 5v5 and meanwhile Matthews gets stuck with Hyman?

Have you watched Hyman play? All the skill players in Toronto want him on their line. The guy wins battles and retrieves pucks for his linemates like nobodies business. Classic example of a guy who may not be a household name but brings an immensely valuable skillset to a lineup. That's why Leafs fans love him and you never hear his name being floated around in trade talks. If anything they'd want more guys like Hyman around.

If Matthews had any qualms about ''being stuck with'' a linemate it would be whichever plug ended up on his RW, not Hyman.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah at this current point, If i was the jets I'd say no.

It may be a different story if Dumba bounces back and is trending to being a 50 point Dman, and Pitt looks to be a lottery team at the TDL.
Pittsburgh can never be counted out though. Would you be shocked if they were in the lottery? No, would you be shocked to see them in the conference finals? Also no.

SoftDump

Sep 25, 2020
Have you watched Hyman play? All the skill players in Toronto want him on their line. The guy wins battles and retrieves pucks for his linemates like nobodies business. Classic example of a guy who may not be a household name but brings an immensely valuable skillset to a lineup. That's why Leafs fans love him and you never hear his name being floated around in trade talks. If anything they'd want more guys like Hyman around.

Could you imagine what Pattie would say, or have his agent say if he was paired with Hyman? He already threw a team leader and vet under the bus because AM34 was distancing himself. Thought Pattie was gonna break out in tears in Vegas when he got leveled in the Calder. Don't kid yourself, Pattie has the biggest ego in the dressing room. Its too bad he doesn't have the work ethic or maturity to go with it.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Could you imagine what Pattie would say, or have his agent say if he was paired with Hyman? He already threw a team leader and vet under the bus because AM34 was distancing himself. Thought Pattie was gonna break out in tears in Vegas when he got leveled in the Calder. Don't kid yourself, Pattie has the biggest ego in the dressing room. Its too bad he doesn't have the work ethic or maturity to go with it.
Am34 distancing himself? Like from the team when Babcock had to go see him in person?

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada

If Matthews had any qualms about ''being stuck with'' a linemate it would be whichever plug ended up on his RW, not Hyman.
I live Hyman as much as the next leafs fan, but this is simply not true. Matthews has requested that Hyman not be on his line Due to his poor playmaking ability.

Reactions: Glacious and Dache

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Let me bring some balance and reason back into this discussion while steering it back on topic by saying that if Auston Matthews played in Alex Ovechkin’s era, he would have scored 98 goals a season. Goalies back then weren’t very good and it’s debatable if Ovi would be a superstar in today’s league.

Alas, Laine would not have succeeded back then. As a soft European he would’ve been bullied into submission by how physical it was. He probably wouldn’t have made most rosters in the compressed 30-team era.

There, hope that helps.

What is this? I'm assuming it's a troll/joke to what this thread has digressed into, correct?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I am a Flyers fan, and I hate the Maple Leafs. Auston Matthews is a demonstrably better young goal scorer than Patrik Laine, and the prior post referred to Laine as "the best young goal scorer in the world." You're being extremely unreasonable.

Agreed.

Best young goal-scorer in the word just tied the best goal-scorer every for the Rocket.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
No. You just aren't good at reading comprehension. I'm citing Kane, and now Laine as an example of a pattern of lockerrom issues (if the Laine stuff is true on Laine) and then centered it around leadership (as they are usually the ones who handle lockerroom stuff), as Ladd was wearing the C at the time of the Kane situation. I also did this all in a inquisitive format and not making actual declarations. Lastly I was posing it to Jet's fans as they would know way more than I do about it. Why don't you move along back to the kiddy forums if you can't handle big boy talk?

It is of course possible that Laine needs to shoulder some of the rumored lockerroom issues. Then again, there was the case of Trouba, case of Kane, case of Byfuglien. Seems like there might something else that's wrong, too.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
It is of course possible that Laine needs to shoulder some of the rumored lockerroom issues. Then again, there was the case of Trouba, case of Kane, case of Byfuglien. Seems like there might something else that's wrong, too.

Winnipeg isn't an easy place to live for everyone. There is a reason we are on the bottom of the list of UFA cities. Kane wanted out because he wanted to move to since Atlanta moved to Winnipeg. Trouba wanted to go because of family reasons and Buff just wanted to retire and he enjoys Manitoba for what it has to offer.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
That was not a proposal. That was what you can get from Laine at this moment. Please be free to upset yourself if they trade him.

Don’t retreat into semantics. That was a ridiculous suggestion on what Laine’s value is right now.

Reactions: Snowman

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I don't think the jets will get close to as much as Jets fans think they will.
Once next season is over and Laine wants 10+ million Jets will have no interest in signing that deal which everyone will know, lowering his value.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
It's probably making no sense to you since Laine is considered a borderline superstar, but many habs fans would be bummed to give Suzuki for Laine.
I like the Jets more than the Habs. After the Oilers and Canucks I dislike Montreal the next most. That said, I'd rather have Suzuki than Laine. Suzuki moves the needle more for me on wins and losses. I think he's going to be a very good 2 way 60 point center. I value that more than I value Laine at 6.75M, yet alone when he makes 10 million.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I don't think the jets will get close to as much as Jets fans think they will.
Once next season is over and Laine wants 10+ million Jets will have no interest in signing that deal which everyone will know, lowering his value.
In a flat cap Laine isn’t getting 10m from anyone so it’s really a moot point. On another note where is this article that says that’s his ask?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well I guess if you're going to be a "one trick pony", a goal scoring machine is a pretty good pony to be.
Agree. It’s a great one trick. But let’s not think other GMs don’t have concerns about the roundness of his game or lack there of.

He’s on the block and hasn’t been traded. That’s because GMs are not going to overpay for him. They’ll a point value to Laine based on more than just his goal scoring acumen. And that value isn’t nearly as high as Peg fans think it is.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
That said, I'd rather have Suzuki than Laine. Suzuki moves the needle more for me on wins and losses. I think he's going to be a very good 2 way 60 point center. I value that more than I value Laine at 6.75M, yet alone when he makes 10 million.

Wow, well ok then. A 60pt 2 way center "moves the needle for wins" more than the winger who can score 50 goals in the right role every season and being responsible defensively in the meantime.

I guess you could always argue from feelings but mathematically none of that makes sense.

Reactions: TS Quint

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4