Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Is there any chance Laine refuses to report to Jet’s camp?

Finnflash

May 19, 2016
Winnipeg
Getting maximum return for trading Laine is a very hard thing to quantify.

I would say the jets have three really good scoring wingers which should be enough without including Laine.

Jests prospects in the pipeline look like good complimentary pieces.

My take is that it would be good to get players we need right now to add to the team (top 2 defence and maybe a really good tough forward that has a two way game.). But the jets are in no place to be desperate at all.

Worse case scenario is Laine walks when he is a ufa. I’d be ok with that rather than getting something in return that we don’t need.

If I was in Chevys position just wait until a trade comes your way that makes the team better. If not no big deal.

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
No, as confirmed by his agent. This whole situation is totally overblown.
I remember this happening in Vancouver with Bure. It got pretty ugly, and the Canucks had to trade him. They did get Jovo in return, so hopefully the Jets get similar return for their young scoring star.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I know you like to think that two situations with no similarities will end the same, but you don't see Jets fans complaining about the Trouba trade.

You of all people shouldn't be spouting off about the Jets having to take a loss like you said last time.

As much as you hate to admit it, the Jets made out like bandits in that deal, which is the exact opposite of what you said would happen.

We remember.

;)

I agree. The Jets bent the Rangers over in that trade. They essentially moved Trouba for Pionk (which seems like a wash at worst) and got a blue-chip prospect on top of that.

I'm sure the Jets would be pleased with a similar return for Laine.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
Laine is a guy who I see as being a lot like Boeser in Vancouver, put up massive numbers as a rookie and then injuries and changes in usage led his stats to slip quite a bit...difference is I think that while Laine has the higher upside in terms of tools and raw talent, with Boeser it seems like he just goes about his business even when the puck isn't going in for him or he isn't getting the opportunities, Laine tends to get frustrated and sulky and it affects his play. That's not good because he's a pretty streaky guy with his production.

It's a bit strange because who does Winnipeg really have who is gonna bump him off of a top winger spot? It's not like they have any kind of crazy depth at wing, sure Maurice likes to go with a more balanced and less top-heavy lineup than a lot of coaches do but it feels like there is something else going on there, some kind of personality or team chemistry issue. Probably gonna impact the leverage and therefore his trade value if other GMs feel like Winnipeg is looking to make a deal.

There are definitely some teams that would be a good fit and have the assets to do something, Carolina and Boston are two that come to mind. Edmonton could certainly use a scoring winger but what would they have to give up to get Laine, that's the big question.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
"One of the people to like this post will become a millionaire"

"anyone else here because of xxx?"

The place is full of insightful comments like that. And lots of ads.

I’ve never seen that first one. Usually it’s just people bragging they were first to post, without adding anything else. Like it’s such an accomplishment that a person was the first to comment on a video.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
"One of the people to like this post will become a millionaire"

"anyone else here because of xxx?"

The place is full of insightful comments like that. And lots of ads.
As long as McDuff doesn’t show up you should keep your head. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad