Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I agree they wouldn’t move Barzal, but let’s not get carried away about what teir of player he is. He has 1 ppg season 2 years ago. And while I’m not trying to say he isn’t a great player he’s not in a completely different teir, so far away that he’s ungettable with a Laine as the base.
Here is what a Barzal trade would look like.

Conner +. Conner plus Heinola and something else. Laine wouldn’t even be included. Conner is the base of the deal.

Reactions: LeapOnOver

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014

Conner +. Conner plus Heinola and something else. Laine wouldn’t even be included. Conner is the base of the deal.
Farm boy is who they should trade, He got put on the first line without proving anything but he sucks at defending. I’m not sure who’s worse on that line, His value is high and Ehlers could replace him in a heartbeat! Laine can score goals.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018

Well like I said. I don’t think they’d move Barzal at all without a C coming back, and either way we’ll have to agree to disagree here.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Is he? 37 goals per 82 game average so far. Matthews is seven months older and averaging 47 goals per 82 games.
Sure, you got a point, but imho you still can call him that because of the way he scores them, and he had a 44 goal season with 16min a game played average that sophmore season, he's only 22 and has had one down year and last year he focused way more on his overall game. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll score 50 soon enough.

Reactions: The Big M

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well like I said. I don’t think they’d move Barzal at all without a C coming back, and either way we’ll have to agree to disagree here.
I think we’ll need to agree you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting Peg to trade Laine any time in the near future. Unless you’re willing to be disappointed with the return.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I think we’ll need to agree you’ll be disappointed if you’re expecting Peg to trade Laine any time in the near future. Unless you’re willing to be disappointed with the return.
I’m not expecting anything, so no, we don’t need to agree on that. I’ve also never said what I expect as a return so not sure why you think I’d be disappointed. But carry on refusing to have legit conversations.

Reactions: TS Quint

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m not expecting anything, so no, we don’t need to agree on that. I’ve also never said what I expect as a return so not sure why you think I’d be disappointed. But carry on refusing to have legit conversations.
It will be interesting to see how Laine plays knowing he’s playing for a team he doesn’t want to be on and a team that won’t give him a next contract unless it’s via arbitration. Not an ideal marriage to say the least. How long will they keep up that situation? Especially if he’s playing on a line he doesn’t want to be on in a role he’s not happy with. Good luck getting maximum effort out of that scenario.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
It will be interesting to see how Laine plays knowing he’s playing for a team he doesn’t want to be on and a team that won’t give him a next contract unless it’s via arbitration. Not an ideal marriage to say the least. How long will they keep up that situation? Especially if he’s playing on a line he doesn’t want to be on in a role he’s not happy with. Good luck getting maximum effort out of that scenario.
Where is you’re source that he doesn’t want to play on the jets? Or your source that they won’t give him a contract? You’re clearly just trolling at this point for some sort of internet fight. I’ll leave the conversation at that then

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Sure, you got a point, but imho you still can call him that because of the way he scores them, and he had a 44 goal season with 16min a game played average that sophmore season, he's only 22 and has had one down year and last year he focused way more on his overall game. I have no doubt in my mind that he'll score 50 soon enough.

Matthews scored 40 his rookie season and 47 in 70 games this year. They were taken 1-2 in the same draft.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Matthews scored 40 his rookie season and 47 in 70 games this year. They were taken 1-2 in the same draft.
Did i say anything about Matthews or compare Laine to him? Jesus christ some of you Matthews fans are just ridicilous, anyone mentions Laine in the same sentence as him and your screaming BUT MATTHEWS THIS MATTHEWS THAT, jesus christ seriously maybe take a minute to think about what you are reading before you start raging about Matthews like a adolecant foaming out your mouth, the argument was if he's one of the most elite goal scorers in the league and i only said that i think it's a fair argument to make since he is still in the top 10 in goal scoring since he came in to the league and is indeed one of the best shooters in the league.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Did i say anything about Matthews or compare Laine to him? Jesus christ some of you Matthews fans are just ridicilous, anyone mentions Laine in the same sentence as him and your screaming BUT MATTHEWS THIS MATTHEWS THAT, jesus christ seriously maybe take a minute to think about what you are reading before you start raging about Matthews like a adolecant foaming out your mouth, the argument was if he's one of the most elite goal scorers in the league and i only said that i think it's a fair argument to make since he is still in the top 10 in goal scoring since he came in to the league and is indeed one of the best shooters in the league.
There is a pretty big disparity in what they've done in the last 2 years. Matthews is 2nd in goals since he came into the league. I can't even imagine how crazy Laine fans (and I mean Laine Fans first and somewhere after Jets, if at all) would be if he was attached to Hyman for his first 2 years in the league, considering how often they blame his linemates for not reaching some of the heights they predicted for him, and its not like he has gotten significantly less time than Matthews or Pastrnak in that 4 year time frame.

The argument you responded to didn't say Laine was one of the best young goalscorers in the league. It said he was the best. Which sort of brings Matthews into the discussion, since he's been the better goal scorer, is from the same draft class, and seems way less relient on linemates to create goal-scoring opportunities for him.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
There are certain immutable facts about his situation and any comments suggesting otherwise should be deleted by the user:

A) Chevy doesn't make knee-jerk reaction trades. Like the great Lou Lams says, "You have time, you use it". Chevy has several years of that and he's going to use it.
B) The Islanders are not trading Mat Barzal

That is all...

PS. Well maybe not all. I have to wonder about the Jets lockerroom. Only Jets fans can answer this and I don't mean it as a knock, but what's up with their leadership? They had problems with Kane, now rumored (no idea if it's baseless or not, if it is ignore this) problems with Laine. I know the Islanders foremost beat writer said that Ladd adds absolutely no leadership to the lockerroom on LI, but he's gone from the Jets now so is it just a team attitude that prevails, or what?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Friendly reminder: this is not a Matthews thread. In this context we don't care about his performance, like at all.

No, this is the thread where Lainiacs make unsubstantiated statements like Laine is the "best young scorer in the world", ignoring guys like Matthews who outproduce him. Shoot, Laine might not even be best young scorer on his own team at this point.

Reactions: nofehr

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There are certain immutable facts about his situation and any comments suggesting otherwise should be deleted by the user:

A) Chevy doesn't make knee-jerk reaction trades. Like the great Lou Lams says, "You have time, you use it". Chevy has several years of that and he's going to use it.
B) The Islanders are not trading Mat Barzal

That is all...

PS. Well maybe not all. I have to wonder about the Jets lockerroom. Only Jets fans can answer this and I don't mean it as a knock, but what's up with their leadership? They had problems with Kane, now rumored (no idea if it's baseless or not, if it is ignore this) problems with Laine. I know the Islanders foremost beat writer said that Ladd adds absolutely no leadership to the lockerroom on LI, but he's gone from the Jets now so is it just a team attitude that prevails, or what?

You're citing examples like Kane (lol) and Ladd as evidence there is a problem with the Jets leadership?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Take your own advice champ.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Where is you’re source that he doesn’t want to play on the jets? Or your source that they won’t give him a contract? You’re clearly just trolling at this point for some sort of internet fight. I’ll leave the conversation at that then

Politely, the comments from his agents to Pierre Le Brun wouldn’t have made it to him if we wanted to play with us.

No player who is happy and all jazzed to be here wouldn’t be making those types of comments via his agent.

speculation is the nature of these forums but you can basically assume this is the scenario with Laine.

Reactions: Tripod

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

He is like 》holding Thors hammer :)

He is filling up also.
Not as skinny anymore

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

There is a pretty big disparity in what they've done in the last 2 years. Matthews is 2nd in goals since he came into the league. I can't even imagine how crazy Laine fans would be if he was attached to Hyman for his first 2 years in the league, considering how often they blame his linemates for not reaching some of the heights they predicted for him, and its not like he has gotten significantly less time than Matthews or Pastrnak in that 4 year time frame.

The argument you responded to didn't say Laine was one of the best young goalscorers in the league. It said he was the best. Which sort of brings Matthews into the discussion, since he's been the better goal scorer, is from the same draft class, and seems way less relient on linemates to create goal-scoring opportunities for him.

Friendly reminder: this is not a Matthews thread. In this context we don't care about his performance, like at all.

Matthews is better.

But they are the best 1-2 goal scoring draft picks in recent memory.

Good for the league :)

Reactions: Fisticuffer

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I don’t know, I actually think that’s not that bad of a deal, perfetti then slides into Laines spot or takes over 2C and RNH plays wing. I’m a fan of Klefbom though so that may be a part of it
I'd rather the Jets target a better defenseman, than take a 2C that will be looking for a large contract, will be exiting his prime and isn't really a need anymore. Plus as I said, we'd have to be sure Klefbom has fully recovered from his injury.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad