Speculation: Laine Mega Thread

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I'd rather the Jets target a better defenseman, than take a 2C that will be looking for a large contract, will be exiting his prime and isn't really a need anymore. Plus as I said, we'd have to be sure Klefbom has fully recovered from his injury.
I get that, and there’s merit to it. RNH is only 27 though. I think he’s got lots left in the tank and I don’t think he’ll be getting that big of a contract, though maybe more than we’d be looking to spend on a 2C.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Here is what a Barzal trade would look like.

Conner +. Conner plus Heinola and something else. Laine wouldn’t even be included. Conner is the base of the deal.
That is so lopsided it is funny. You can't possibly think that is a legit trade value?

Reactions: Snowman

SlafCaufield

formely KotkaCaufield
Jul 13, 2020
Pointe-Claire
:habs
Laine

:jets
1st Round Pick
Norlinder
Tatar
Mete
Fonstad

Laine gets a chance to play beside countryman Koko a much better centre than Little and will score

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
:habs
Laine

:jets
1st Round Pick
Norlinder
Tatar
Mete
Fonstad

Laine gets a chance to play beside countryman Koko a much better centre than Little and will score

As many have said earlier, I don't think a quantity trade does it. Norlinder is the most interesting piece but there's no top 6 C or top 4 D in that offer.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
That is so lopsided it is funny. You can't possibly think that is a legit trade value?
You can’t possibly think Laine carries a lot of value right now. Even your own fan base is saying they can’t trade him in the foreseeable future for this reason. Your GM isn’t being patient. He has ZERO offers for Laine right now that even approach anything close to what value you perceive Laine has. Peg has zero leads. He’s stuck in limbo for a while.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You can’t possibly think Laine carries a lot of value right now. Even your own fan base is saying they can’t trade him in the foreseeable future for this reason. Your GM isn’t being patient. He has zero offer of Laine right now that even approach anything close to what value you perceive he has.
How is Chevy not being patient? Most people in here seem all for having a reasonable conversation but you seem to have some bone to pick. Did a Laine fan insult you or something?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Conner +. Conner plus Heinola and something else. Laine wouldn’t even be included. Conner is the base of the deal.
Teams don't trade franchise centers, especially if they have no viable internal replacement, already have one, or are doing a complete rebuild. Islanders check none of those boxes. The last time a franchise center was traded was Seguin, who, firstly, its debatable if he was a franchise center at the time, and two, the team already had Bergeron. You could make the case of ROR, but, firstly Buffalo didn't value him that way, and two, they had Eichel.

There are a couple of things in this league that are almost impossible to acquire outside of drafting them or signing them as UFA's (and it still skews heavily towards drafting) and that is top-15 in the league centers or defenders. You look at the top 15 or so centers. in the league, outside of Tavares, Seguin, Zibanejad, ROR, almost all were acquired in the draft, and usually with a top 10 pick (outside of Bergeron, Barzal, Kopitar, Aho, and Point). If you acquire a franchise center in a trade, very rarely are they valued as such at the time of the trade. Not to say high-end wingers aren't valued, but it is much easier to acquire them just looking at the movement of them (Panarin, Stone, Hall, Kessel, Voracek) and how many elite ones are found outside the top 10 of the draft (Marchand, Pastrnak, Kucherov, Gaudreau, Stone, Panarin, Benn). This is a loose list I'm working off of, I'm one too lazy to write out who I think are the top 15 centers in the league are, nor interested in actually debating in a thread that it isn't the topic, so I'll loosely include people in the debate even if I don't think they are, so I don't get what about this guy.

Jets would likely be disappointed in the return for Laine. They are likely settling for a fringe 1st line, more likely 2nd line center with limited upside remaining, or trading for a player whose potential they are gambling on to be a top line center. And, before people say, Winnipeg already has a franchise center. I know, they do. But, it doesn't seem Laine will fetch them a center who matches what they immediately want. You either taking the certainty of a fringe 1st line guy, or gambling on the upside of a young guy. One immediately helps the team, but is unlikely to provide more value than Laine long-term, the other is a gamble on a guy who could but in a few years could also make a list of bad trades. So you are talking guys like Suzuki, Kotkaniemi, Alex Turcotte, etc in the young guy batch or you are talking someone like RyJo or Couture (just picking random names who fit the bill). Its unlikely to be an established young guy who is a first liner like Barzal.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
How is Chevy not being patient? Most people in here seem all for having a reasonable conversation but you seem to have some bone to pick. Did a Laine fan insult you or something?
I like Laine. Your GM isn’t being patient. He’s not even mulling over good offers on Laine. There are no offers for Laine your GM is remotely excited about for this player at present.

your GM is kicking the can down the road is what he’s really doing. Call it patience if you like but it’s really just biding time in hopes the market does open up for Laine to get anything approaching the value your fan base puts on him.

today.... Those options are not available to him. And it doesn’t look like they will be in 2020 and.. maybe not 2021 either.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Jesus christ like i'm here just exclusively talking about Laine and yet it's littered with novels about Matthews, like nobody is comparing Laine to him here and yet yall are here triggered af. I was talking solely about his shot and ability to score and laid a argument for why i think it's fair to say he's a elite goal scorer and somehow there are triggered posters rambling about Matthews.. Like jesus christ everyone knows he's more accomplished and has scored more it's nothing new.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
You're citing examples like Kane (lol) and Ladd as evidence there is a problem with the Jets leadership?

No. You just aren't good at reading comprehension. I'm citing Kane, and now Laine as an example of a pattern of lockerrom issues (if the Laine stuff is true on Laine) and then centered it around leadership (as they are usually the ones who handle lockerroom stuff), as Ladd was wearing the C at the time of the Kane situation. I also did this all in a inquisitive format and not making actual declarations. Lastly I was posing it to Jet's fans as they would know way more than I do about it. Why don't you move along back to the kiddy forums if you can't handle big boy talk?

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
No, this is the thread where Lainiacs make unsubstantiated statements like Laine is the "best young scorer in the world", ignoring guys like Matthews who outproduce him. Shoot, Laine might not even be best young scorer on his own team at this point.
Yeah nobody has said that but ok or perhaps there is someone who has said he is the best (those always exist 1 or 2 in every fanbase and are usually trolls too) but thats not a excuse to start saying all Laine fans say so because thats not true at all. , your just so obsessed with him to the point that you need to overexhadurate everything, youv'e never even said anything positive about him, shows that your just a hater tbh :)

wabagee

Nov 24, 2014
Jesus christ like i'm here just exclusively talking about Laine and yet it's littered with novels about Matthews, like nobody is comparing Laine to him here and yet yall are here triggered af. I was talking solely about his shot and ability to score and laid a argument for why i think it's fair to say he's a elite goal scorer and somehow there are triggered posters rambling about Matthews.. Like jesus christ everyone knows he's more accomplished and has scored more it's nothing new.
Laine on the leafs would score so many goals! Totally different system.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
No. You just aren't good at reading comprehension. I'm citing Kane, and now Laine as an example of a pattern of lockerrom issues (if the Laine stuff is true on Laine) and then centered it around leadership (as they are usually the ones who handle lockerroom stuff), as Ladd was wearing the C at the time of the Kane situation. I also did this all in a inquisitive format and not making actual declarations. Lastly I was posing it to Jet's fans as they would know way more than I do about it. Why don't you move along back to the kiddy forums if you can't handle big boy talk?
What Laine stuff are you talking about? The stuff made up on here? Cause I don’t think that really needs to be addressed does it?

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
What Laine stuff are you talking about? The stuff made up on here? Cause I don’t think that really needs to be addressed does it?
I guess. I've seen several allusions to it. I don't know if it's founded or not. That's why I'm asking. I didn't know anything about the Kane stuff until well after the trade. I'm not some investigative journalist, I'm honestly asking what the situation is.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I guess. I've seen several allusions to it. I don't know if it's founded or not. That's why I'm asking. I didn't know anything about the Kane stuff until well after the trade. I'm not some investigative journalist, I'm honestly asking what the situation is.
Well you’re not really asking, you’re making assumptions based on it being true. Not an investigative journalist? So you can’t use google? Do you get direction across the city from HF boards too?

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Did i say anything about Matthews or compare Laine to him? Jesus christ some of you Matthews fans are just ridicilous, anyone mentions Laine in the same sentence as him and your screaming BUT MATTHEWS THIS MATTHEWS THAT, jesus christ seriously maybe take a minute to think about what you are reading before you start raging about Matthews like a adolecant foaming out your mouth, the argument was if he's one of the most elite goal scorers in the league and i only said that i think it's a fair argument to make since he is still in the top 10 in goal scoring since he came in to the league and is indeed one of the best shooters in the league.

I am a Flyers fan, and I hate the Maple Leafs. Auston Matthews is a demonstrably better young goal scorer than Patrik Laine, and the prior post referred to Laine as "the best young goal scorer in the world." You're being extremely unreasonable.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

I'm good with that, I'd rather keep Laine than Connor and Barzal is great.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site

Do you not read these threads? He was referred to as "the best young goal scorer IN THE WORLD." You're acting like a clown right now.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah nobody has said that but ok or perhaps there is someone who has said he is the best (those always exist 1 or 2 in every fanbase and are usually trolls too) but thats not a excuse to start saying all Laine fans say so because thats not true at all. , your just so obsessed with him to the point that you need to overexhadurate everything, youv'e never even said anything positive about him, shows that your just a hater tbh :)
You literally responded to a guy who got into an argument over this statement.

Well Laine is the best young goal scorer in the world so of course there is some value. I hope he is going to Philly somehow.

So, you either have the guy he responded to on ignore (always possible) and missed the context, or have just gotten into an argument and have forgotten what started it. If I go into a thread about Matthews and say he's the best young center in the league, I'd obviously expect a rebuttal involving the usual names (McDavid, MacKinnon, etc) and if a 3rd party jumped in saying "this thread isn't about McDavid or MacKinnon" it would ignore the flow of conversation that created the debate and those players to be brought into the argument in the first place.

Reactions: Tripod and mercury

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site

No one said that once. Seriously, stop posting. You're flaming and straw manning in such a haphazard manner that you should be embarrassed. Take an Internet break.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
You can’t possibly think Laine carries a lot of value right now. Even your own fan base is saying they can’t trade him in the foreseeable future for this reason. Your GM isn’t being patient. He has ZERO offers for Laine right now that even approach anything close to what value you perceive Laine has. Peg has zero leads. He’s stuck in limbo for a while.
Of course he has good trade value. He is a top 10 goal scorer in the league. He has 3 seasons under team control. He is only 22. And my perceived value does not mean your ridiculous proposal is fair.

As for your insider knowledge that there are no offers, no leads and he has no value, I say you know nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad