Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I'm not gonna read the 1st page. Serious.

Someone just tell me - how many posts did it take for Matthews to get brought up???

Reactions: DannyGallivan

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
Don't get me wrong I think he's a great player to. Where I have a problem is when some suggest he's top 5 player in league which I don't agree with at all. I'd love to have him on my team but there are others who are as equal or better I'd take at this moment instead to build around as well.

Yep same here. Top 10 potential.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
He lied to everyone he said he was gonna score a lot of goals, now he just gets lots of assists.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
He never said that he threw away what he got from the Jets. He said in fact that he just has got in general so much of stuff from different teams that his trainees play for, that there’s not enough time in the world to do all the things that the materials are about. He said in fact that he has them all kept and filed. And he was in fact talking mostly about what he had got from Buffalo, because his long time NHL trainee Ristolainen had been training with Rautala already for years at that point.

There is not one road to greatness. Take long distance runners as an example. At one point three world class runner had three very different ways of training, one did lot of long slow running, one did hard sprints and one mixed. Its more about sticking to a program.

However, its a bit worrying if his programs are not dedicated towards the needs of hockey players which earlier posters indicated but looking at Risto TOI, speed and skating I would say it seems to be working really well.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
He lied to everyone he said he was gonna score a lot of goals, now he just gets lots of assists.

This is the Laine what is ordeder. Crucial to Winnipeg to play Laine in 1st line, they have gotta get their defence better, so better just try to outscore opponent till they get some good defs.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Wow thanks ! So instead of closing the debate, the stats just raise more questions. So he needs to play a bit and play well enough (not too good, not too bad) to be at his best, right ?

(I'm kidding obviously but it's the internet so I'll still say it).

Yes, I think too that he needs to play a bit

I think all best players have some fun, not just too much of it.

Maybe 5-10 hours a week of Playstation = optimal?

Reactions: Brownies

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
There is not one road to greatness. Take long distance runners as an example. At one point three world class runner had three very different ways of training, one did lot of long slow running, one did hard sprints and one mixed. Its more about sticking to a program.

However, its a bit worrying if his programs are not dedicated towards the needs of hockey players which earlier posters indicated but looking at Risto TOI, speed and skating I would say it seems to be working really well.

Yeah and Rantanen too, trains in the same group.

I think they know what they are doing. Guys with a 6'5 frame are different to develop than smaller players. And individuals differ greatly too.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

Actually the studies have clearly showed that even in long distance running, some programs are objectively better than others. There are no multiple roads to the peak.

In endurance sports, basically the best results come from block periodized, polarized training with 70-85% below aerobic threshold training, with the specific daily training sessions adjusted to the current feeling of the athlete (=easier on bad days, harder when sufficient recovery has been achieved)

Ironman.jpg The Road to Gold.png Billat et al. Training and bioenergetic characteristics in Elite Male.png 46574675.png elite.png Polarized.png Does polarized training improve performance in recreational runners Iker Muñoz.png Orie-et-al-2014-traiing-distribution-for-speed-skaters – kopio.jpg Polarised vs threshold training.jpg

Attachments

• Billat et al. Physical and training characteristics of top-class marathoners.png
    Billat et al. Physical and training characteristics of top-class marathoners.png
    1 MB · Views: 3

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Maybe his back is better??

His back got worse because of his moronic summer training. Now that he has changed it a bit, there is some hope that his back will get a bit better

However he has had some back issues for years, so they might never go away completely. But last year they got even worse, and started to really effect his gameplay.

Reactions: Strooper12

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
Actually the studies have clearly showed that even in long distance running, some programs are objectively better than others. There are no multiple roads to the peak.

Its been a long time since I was doing any training but back then it seemed like every 5 years there was a new theory, not that I followed them closely or have any real understanding. Also, I guess to make that kind of study you have to have sample size that which does not take in to account the individual difference which sure must be a relevant factor if you are at the end of the spectrum when it comes things like height and metabolism?

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
His back got worse because of his moronic summer training. Now that he has changed it a bit, there is some hope that his back will get a bit better

However he has had some back issues for years, so they might never go away completely. But last year they got even worse, and started to really effect his gameplay.

Sorry, should of made a multi qoute, but could go in to the general things you dont like about his training? Cause even I has seen those photos hyping the program so its kind of interesting why U think its bad for Laine.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Even better example is Mikko Rantanen, who is training with the exactly same methods and in the same training group. He is two years older than Laine, and he started one year earlier in Rautala’s group compared to Laine’s starting age. I’m not at all worried of any of their training. They do mostly the right things. Sometimes they might of course need to fine tune some things, but it would be stupid training also, if there wasn’t any ability to adjust to the individual needs and development of each of Rautala’s trainees. And they have been doing that changing when it has been really needed.

It’s exactly not true that their training isn’t built for supporting hockey training. Rautala takes care of the strength and conditioning things very much with similar methods that Ben Prentiss uses after all. Of course some differences too, but nothing really major in general. Rautala has different area’s experts to help his trainees with hockey and skating related things, but they have gradually just started earlier including those also to the training during the summer.

Laine’s first seasons with Rautala, he was clearly much more concentrating in training the core muscles and also some explosiveness training for his legs. They have gradually changed the emphasis, the stronger he has become, and the last two seasons he has started with the skating coach Max Kolu earlier each time than the previous year. Kolu has been exactly an idea and a connection through Rautala. And he has other connections, especially with the TPS Liiga team. Some people here just want to trash talk Rautala’s groups training for whatever reasons

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Sorry, should of made a multi qoute, but could go in to the general things you dont like about his training? Cause even I has seen those photos hyping the program so its kind of interesting why U think its bad for Laine.

He associates the previous seasons lack of success to bad training and has been against Laine's trainer for some reason. I don't have a dog in that fight so to me the results have looked fine, his lack of success last season had very little to do with physical things, it's the lack of chemistry that killed his offense. Could have been some back issues, but players don't usually just flick a switch for playoffs if actually injured. Looked more like frustration than injury to me. From what I have seen he has been progressing physically every season. Now that he is finally with a center he deserves to play with, the success will come naturally.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
He got at least two of them from lucky bounces off rebounds so he will probably cool down soon in regards to the stats when the puck luck isn't as good.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
He got at least two of them from lucky bounces off rebounds so he will probably cool down soon in regards to the stats when the puck luck isn't as good.

Which ones? The only "rebound" was when Pionk blocked Laine's goal and scored himself. That puck was going in without Pionk standing there but it hit him and missed the net, and then Pionk put it in himself.

Ah, you're the hater I remember.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Which ones? The only "rebound" was when Pionk blocked Laine's goal and scored himself. That puck was going in without Pionk standing there but it hit him and missed the net, and then Pionk put it in himself.

Ah, you're the hater I remember.

Anyone can see that there has been some serious luck in those goals. Yes, they've been in part due to just pressure in the offensive end, but no, those goals are not gonna be going in with those percentages all season

Murray was really bad, that helped.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad