Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
thats they way his line is structured. Get him the puck and let the best shooter shoot it.

Yeah people need to start getting this, if you are the best shot in your line you will be used as the primary shooter and that will affect your assist totals negatively. It should not be held against the player that they are the main scoring threat. It should be celebrated, that's the most difficult thing to do and the objective of the game. Doesn't mean Matthews (or Laine) are bad playmakers, they are just preferred scorers.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
So 5 assists in 4 games so far. Last season Patrik Laine had his 5th assist in game 29.

So what the heck has happened? Well, he said in media that he is not playing ps4 anymore in away games. Last year he played sometimes 12 hours Fortnite in a day. Could be a one factor. I think Laine will score many points in this season!
He's playing great (owning the boards), but let's be honest... it helps to play with the Jets' best player Mark Scheifele. Scheifele has been the best player on the ice for either team in two of the Jets' first four games. He missed out on a four point night yesterday (which also would have been a fourth point for Laine) because of the sickening, cheap offside review (man, they need to get rid of those).

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
No, his summer training is not gradually paying off

You are, yet again, showing that you have absolutely zero idea about sport sciences, or about how training works in general.

His skating was wayy better in 2016, when he did much, much less summer training in his current summer training group

You are nothing but an absolute Rautala-apologist, who has 0% clue about anything related to training.

Laine would've been a lot faster a lot younger, if he hadn't trained in his moronic summer training group.
No he wouldn't, and you are the one who doesn't know really jackcrap about hockey training, even though you desperately want to think and act like that. And because of those issues, I don't have any reason to discuss with you about anything. Please don't spread your false information and twisted agenda here, or if you really need to do it for some reason (obvious Rautala hater) then do it without getting me involved. I have nothing to discuss with phony confrontists like you.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
I have heard that he actually plays active also without the puck and for the team.
Is that true?

If it is. What kindof pony is he?
Yes it's true. This kind of pony:

8099ac00ccafd64b96ece3e1922e74a9.jpg

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
But Rautala is not a hockey trainer and that was not a problem either??
He is a strength and fitness coach for especially hockey players. And he cooperates with people who help the hockey players with straightforwardly hockey related things. This is how it works for hockey players with their training in general. Ben Prentiss and even Gary Roberts (even though he was a high class NHL player) aren’t much more than strength and fitness coaches either, but they have contacts that are experts in more hockey related things and arrange opportunities for their trainees to train other areas with those other experts. They also coordinate their training programs with these more hockey related trainers and each can give their expertese to be used in developing the essential things in the most efficient order, for the players training with those strength and fitness coaches.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
thats they way his line is structured. Get him the puck and let the best shooter shoot it.
Then move him to Tavares's wing and see if he can score 60 plus because he's not doing anything special at Centre defensively or dishing to the wingers? Unless they can find play maker wingers that work with him Nylander possibly being one and getting another for other side?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Bc thread space is such a precious commodity that anyone should worry about it?

First point is cool and well researched but whining about thread placement is incredibly lame

You’ve got it man. I will create a main board thread every time an unexpected player racks up 5 assists in 4 games. Just for you.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
I agree with everything you said about Laine however Mathews is not as good as some think. Until he improves his play making he's not much better then Laine if at all. He's a shoot first centre though he is great at scoring he doesn't involve his wingers enough in my opinion.

Mathews is great all-around moving center with good tools to basicly anything, when game evelops more to system where there is no classical center or wingers, i see hes type of players very valuable.

Reactions: Killer Orcas

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Go ahead. It's called spam though so you'd quickly get banned

I’m not going to do that. I’m just showing you the hypocrisy in calling me out. I’m saying this isn’t thread worthy yet you are telling me if I were to create threads on the same topic every time it happened, I would be banned. What are you getting at?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I’m not going to do that. I’m just showing you the hypocrisy in calling me out. I’m saying this isn’t thread worthy yet you are telling me if I were to create threads on the same topic every time it happened, I would be banned. What are you getting at?
And I'm showing you how dumb and pointless your comments are. Its pat laine not some bum and it's possible he made a drastic change to his still developing game . It's good fodder for discussion. If it wasn't then it wouldn't make it past a thread page

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
All anyone here thinks is he that Laine is only a goal scorer.

Laine has always been an underrated passer. Anyone who actually watches him play would know that.

Problem most of his line mates couldn’t put the puck in the forking net.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
And I'm showing you how dumb and pointless your comments are. Its pat laine not some bum and it's possible he made a drastic change to his still developing game . It's good fodder for discussion. If it wasn't then it wouldn't make it past a thread page

Oh boy. Got it. If Laine does it, then let’s talk about it, but other NHL players are all buns undeserving of a thread if they make a drastic change and rack up 5 assists.

A thread on Laine’s development would make sense. That’s what you’ve been indicated this should be about. That’s not what the OP is about, which is why I’m stating my case.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Had he actually earned it, he would have stayed there

He was leading the league in goals at the time, he was leading the league in points per game for over 2 months in that line.

Nobody else in the whole league EARNED that spot more. The guy who replaced him in the line and has been in it since is struggling to make the line produce 2 goals per 60 minutes played, while it was over 4 with Laine.

Your argument is bad and you should feel bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Mathews is great all-around moving center with good tools to basicly anything, when game evelops more to system where there is no classical center or wingers, i see hes type of players very valuable.
Don't get me wrong I think he's a great player to. Where I have a problem is when some suggest he's top 5 player in league which I don't agree with at all. I'd love to have him on my team but there are others who are as equal or better I'd take at this moment instead to build around as well.

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
He is a strength and fitness coach for especially hockey players. And he cooperates with people who help the hockey players with straightforwardly hockey related things. This is how it works for hockey players with their training in general. Ben Prentiss and even Gary Roberts (even though he was a high class NHL player) aren’t much more than strength and fitness coaches either, but they have contacts that are experts in more hockey related things and arrange opportunities for their trainees to train other areas with those other experts. They also coordinate their training programs with these more hockey related trainers and each can give their expertese to be used in developing the essential things in the most efficient order, for the players training with those strength and fitness coaches.

He is a track coach who uses track methods to coach hockey players. Now obviously the fact that he is decathlon coach who gradually shifted coaching hockey guys, does not absolutely mean, that his methods could not absolutely work as physical training for hockey, but nevertheless he is not a hockey coach. He has himself stated that he has not changed his methods in several decades since the days he started in track. So in no way can you say that he is a trainer who has especially developed training methods for ice hockey physical training. He is a fittness coach who uses methods from track strength training; that's all folks. He has also said that he threw to carbage bin some tippers he got from Jets trainers, so I'm not sure how cooperative he is either :D

Reactions: Plural

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
He is a track coach who uses track methods to coach hockey players. Now obviously the fact that he is decathlon coach who gradually shifted coaching hockey guys, does not absolutely mean, that his methods could not absolutely work as physical training for hockey, but nevertheless he is not a hockey coach. He has himself stated that he has not changed his methods in several decades since the days he started in track. So in no way can you say that he is a trainer who has especially developed training methods for ice hockey physical training. He is a fittness coach who uses methods from track strength training; that's all folks. He has also said that he threw to carbage bin some tippers he got from Jets trainers, so I'm not sure how cooperative he is either :D
He never said that he threw away what he got from the Jets. He said in fact that he just has got in general so much of stuff from different teams that his trainees play for, that there’s not enough time in the world to do all the things that the materials are about. He said in fact that he has them all kept and filed. And he was in fact talking mostly about what he had got from Buffalo, because his long time NHL trainee Ristolainen had been training with Rautala already for years at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad