Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
More precise he is moving his feet and engaging and not just standing still waiting to shoot. He always had decent speed when he decided to skate.
This is not exactly the point. The real point is that he has just become physically better. His summer training is gradually paying off with better first steps and especially better stamina. Those two areas have been his weaknesses before, and although he still has clear room for improving them both, they are now clearly better than they were last season. And of course his back has been now healthy after they did in the off-season some specific training to help with his back problems.

Combine all of these physically related things together with him getting more minutes with better and more cerebral (he needs to play with these kind of players to be the most efficient) players, and what you get is this Laine. He has never been lazy at all. He has just been lacking physically and also not been put into very much a position to use his strengths on 5 on 5 hockey after his rookie season.

Last edited:

Legend Leinonen

Apr 8, 2016
Finland
This is not exactly the point. The real point is that he has just become physically better. His summer training is gradually paying off

Don't understand why you need to go on with the narrative everything went as planned (5 years ago) with Patrik's training, when it's clear from Laine's comments, that they felt, they needed to change it this summer.

Reactions: Backcheckmonster3

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Don't understand why you need to go on with the narrative everything went as planned (5 years ago) with Patrik's training, when it's clear from Laine's comments, that they felt, they needed to change it this summer.
He said himself that they decided to start his skating two weeks earlier than last year. That is just a nuance really. It makes a pretty small difference to anything. Some, but nothing drastic. And anyway they had the option to decide it on the basis of him having his strength training already at that point that he doesn’t have to emphasize it as much in his training as he did before.

This is exactly going by the plan they made a few years ago. I even said myself that it will go to that, that they will gradually increase his amount of skating during the summers when he has trained the hard strength training for the most part enough.

Laine said himself that in addition to the two weeks earlier skating, they added also some conditioning exercises for his back. And otherwise they changed nothing else with his training from before. So everything is going very much by their plan. Of course some fine tuning will happen for some off-seasons. I have never claimed something like that wouldn’t still happen.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
What?

25% of your assists, in 5% of the season? Is common?:help:

Players who had exactly 20 assists last year who scored 25% of their assists in a 4 game stretch:

Nikolay Goldobin
Nick Cousins
Neal Pionk

...and those are just the players with exactly 20 assists.

Laine actually put up 7 assists in an 8 game span last year, another similar streak.

Again, I don’t get how this is threadworthy. It’s very common.

He has a lot to prove before we start calling him out as a real playmaker.

Electric Blue

Dec 7, 2016
Players who had exactly 20 assists last year who scored 25% of their assists in a 4 game stretch:

Nikolay Goldobin
Nick Cousins
Neal Pionk

...and those are just the players with exactly 20 assists.

Laine actually put up 7 assists in an 8 game span last year, another similar streak.

Again, I don’t get how this is threadworthy. It’s very common.

He has a lot to prove before we start calling him out as a real playmaker.
I dont think that the point of this thread was to promote Laine to a real playmaker. Laine is playing better at the start of the season than people were expecting based on how he did last year, and that is somewhat worth discussing albeit it has only been 4 games for him.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I dont think that the point of this thread was to promote Laine to a real playmaker. Laine is playing better at the start of the season than people were expecting based on how he did last year, and that is somewhat worth discussing albeit it has only been 4 games for him.

The thread title is a specific statistical call out. I’m just arguing that the statistic is not an anomaly or something that shouldn’t be expected for a 20 assist player.

Good to see Laine playing well but until he’s doing something thread-worthy, it seems to be discussion best suited for the Jets board.

Electric Blue

Dec 7, 2016
The thread title is a specific statistical call out. I’m just arguing that the statistic is not an anomaly or something that shouldn’t be expected for a 20 assist player.

Good to see Laine playing well but until he’s doing something thread-worthy, it seems to be discussion best suited for the Jets board.
I agree that this belongs to the Jets board, but I understood this specific statistical call out to be a curiosity rather than an anomaly.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010

Because the change was planned ahead. They just didn't know when to do it and apparently felt this summer was it.

Just doink

Mar 28, 2018
But Mathews is still best in league don't forget lol.

Mathews is ofc still ahead on his overall game, but i don't see impossible that in future Laine will be outplace him. Mathews could end up top5-10 center and Laine "the next Ovie". Laine will never became as dynamic and good as Ovie, but the next best thing. And then one is regulary top10 league in points, and other win Rockets often with OK overall game.

I posted preseason time in here that Laine must be most underrated player in the league. Writers with straight face say hes lost case. Judging this young players by half season is most bizarre thing ever, and to me shows totaly unknowledge about hockey or sports in general. Laine's raw talent with big body and unorthodox type of play is so easy to see that even Stewie Wonder noticed it in a sec. He's not there yet, but with young players you have gotta look talent before and make judging based on that.

I also posted that if Laine get is skating better, he's allready superstar in NHL. Seems like that just happened, early to say thou. I don't think Laine was 100% present last season neither, seems like a person that take hit too much for himself if not doing well. Not sign of a good player, but superstars are sometimes that.

Reactions: Halberdier

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Should have had one more assist but the offside challenge was lame.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Little was that bad?

Little has something like 4 1st assists on Laine goals over 200 games, despite being his most common linemate. That is pretty bad all things considered.

Also Laine has learned a lot about forechecking and takeaways this summer. Less turnovers too.

Reactions: MrThomas

Akustiikka

Dec 16, 2018
There was an article in finnish tabloid that Laine took Heinola under his wings and is sharing room with him. Maybe it has matured Laine aswell. Having responsibility of someone other than himself.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
There was an article in finnish tabloid that Laine took Heinola under his wings and is sharing room with him. Maybe it has matured Laine aswell. Having responsibility of someone other than himself.

Yeah Laine and Heinola are now sleeping at the same room. Even Laine could be in his own. They are probably doing something good there.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He altered his training to include more skating and lost some weight. He's faster and fitter. Looking for a big season from him.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
So 5 assists in 4 games so far. Last season Patrik Laine had his 5th assist in game 29.

So what the heck has happened? Well, he said in media that he is not playing ps4 anymore in away games. Last year he played sometimes 12 hours Fortnite in a day. Could be a one factor. I think Laine will score many points in this season!

Imagine having an extra 12 hours to do something productive. If that is true that he played as many as 12 hours, it has to be one of the biggest factors. Basically getting half an extra day to eat, sleep, prepare, watch tape etc.

Reactions: MrThomas

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
I wonder has he finally overcome his back-problems. That definetely had an influence on his skating during the last season as he has claimed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad