Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
he's shooting 6% on the year.... i think he will have an hat-trick or something like that soon

Reactions: MrThomas

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Laine has now matched his assist total of 20 from last season in just his 27th game.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Laine having a great season and developing into a more complete player.

Happy for the Jets considering all they lost and Byfuglien basically retiring. They have a strong future ahead with Conor, Laine, Ehlers, Pionk, etc

Yeah, on a serious note, I always thought the critique went a little over-board last season.

But I think its important to learn and remember that almost everyone -- must -- receive sufficient support to produce, and that producing goals/pts never is digital. I think there is an extreme tendency to make a quick judgement of a player based on production.

Winnipeg has always provided a lot of support for Laine. If he came to a team that was a complete mess and didn't have players that was a good fit next to him, Laine wouldn't have been a hit right of the bat either.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
Yeah, on a serious note, I always thought the critique went a little over-board last season.

But I think its important to learn and remember that almost everyone -- must -- receive sufficient support to produce, and that producing goals/pts never is digital. I think there is an extreme tendency to make a quick judgement of a player based on production.

Winnipeg has always provided a lot of support for Laine. If he came to a team that was a complete mess and didn't have players that was a good fit next to him, Laine wouldn't have been a hit right of the bat either.

Nylander is a great example. He had a challenging year last season and people were laughing at him, suggesting he be moved. I was begging my Flyguys would trade Ghost for Willy, but Toronto wisely held into him and hes developing into what they thought he was.

There are plenty of guys who are worth more than their production but are looked down upon because their numbers arent satisfactory.

Look at Kessel or Sprong or Subban or Bobrovsky or Skinner or Galchenyuk or Ladd or Price, etc. These guys were raved for their "numbers" and they "earned" huge contracts. Just about every player listed would be bought out if there were no penalty.

Numbers matter, absolutely, but they arent the be all end all

Reactions: Ola

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Nylander is a great example. He had a challenging year last season and people were laughing at him, suggesting he be moved. I was begging my Flyguys would trade Ghost for Willy, but Toronto wisely held into him and hes developing into what they thought he was.

There are plenty of guys who are worth more than their production but are looked down upon because their numbers arent satisfactory.

Look at Kessel or Sprong or Subban or Bobrovsky or Skinner or Galchenyuk or Ladd or Price, etc. These guys were raved for their "numbers" and they "earned" huge contracts. Just about every player listed would be bought out if there were no penalty.

Numbers matter, absolutely, but they arent the be all end all

The flip side of this is that it’s not wise to pump a player up as greater than they are because of early-career numbers.

Laine’s criticism was directly proportional to the nonsensical praise and expectations put on him by many Jets and Finnish hockey fans over the last couple of years. I’m a fan of a team in the Central and even I loved watching Laine rip lasers past goalies. It was amazing. It was also annoying seeing people say he was going to score 60 and he’s already scoring at a better pace than Ovechkin.

The bar was set really high with him for a lot of reasons so for you guys to whine about support doesn’t mean much to me. He was a 2nd overall pick with a clear talent for scoring goals. He’s since lost some of that ability apparently in exchange for a more well-rounded game. Either way the Jets are lucky to have a very good player. Either way it sounds like you two are deciding to be sensitive while ignoring the reasons we got here in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad