Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
Imagine having an extra 12 hours to do something productive. If that is true that he played as many as 12 hours, it has to be one of the biggest factors. Basically getting half an extra day to eat, sleep, prepare, watch tape etc.

He's watching TV. Mostly hockey (Liiga, KHL) it seems.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The kid is night and day better from last year.

People can crap on Little and use him being on the second line as an excuse but it's not even close to the full story.

He has looked like he did in the first 2 seasons. Looks WAY more engaged with the play. He looks exactly like I hoped he would to start the season.

I think giving up the PS4 and having a fully healed back is going a long way to get him back to where he was.

So happy so far.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Imagine having an extra 12 hours to do something productive. If that is true that he played as many as 12 hours, it has to be one of the biggest factors. Basically getting half an extra day to eat, sleep, prepare, watch tape etc.

His avarage time in only Fortnite was 6h plus of course other games in last season. But some day he played 12h per day but 6h was avarage. Statistics are online.

Also fun fact. Always when he was winning in Fortnite, he was also scoring in nhl. But when he was loosing in Fortnite he could not produce in nhl.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
The obvious happened. He has been growing into his body and will be better each year for at least another 6-8 years if no major injuries hamper him. First he built the muscle to move that big body,

Also Little's injury and maybe Laine's new contract has forced Maurice to put him elsewhere in the lineup than with Little and that lack of chemistry held Laine back massively in his first 3 seasons. He is too expensive to waste on the bench with this contract. Now he is back with Scheifele, in an offensive role, and doing exactly what some of us said he would and expected all along. He just needed the role where he isn't the defense first fwd in his line and allows him to play deeper in the offensive zone and be much more effective with his strengths.

Reactions: Halberdier

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
We need an assist vs hours of fortnite per day graph. I have the feeling it’s going to be significant with a p value below 0,05.
Screen-Shot-2019-01-31-at-9.32.23-PM.png

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Laine's stats never showed it but he was always a great passer.

Exactly. Criminally underrated. I kept hearing people say he can't be a good passer because he has so few assists. I kept telling them the skill is there, it's just a matter of usage and lines. He still should always be the primary shooter because that's his superpower, but if he has chem with linemates he can pass with the best of them.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Don't understand why you need to go on with the narrative everything went as planned (5 years ago) with Patrik's training, when it's clear from Laine's comments, that they felt, they needed to change it this summer.

The plan for first 2 offseasons was strength levels so he could get the most out of his massive frame. So it is kinda going to that plan, now he has started to skate more in the offseason after his summer training, starting it earlier. Laine commented that's the only thing he has changed, started skating earlier.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The thread title is a specific statistical call out. I’m just arguing that the statistic is not an anomaly or something that shouldn’t be expected for a 20 assist player.

Good to see Laine playing well but until he’s doing something thread-worthy, it seems to be discussion best suited for the Jets board.

Bc thread space is such a precious commodity that anyone should worry about it?

First point is cool and well researched but whining about thread placement is incredibly lame

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Honestly, I think he took all the comments about him being a one trick pony, which were rife during his contract negotiations, to heart.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Mathews is ofc still ahead on his overall game, but i don't see impossible that in future Laine will be outplace him. Mathews could end up top5-10 center and Laine "the next Ovie". Laine will never became as dynamic and good as Ovie, but the next best thing. And then one is regulary top10 league in points, and other win Rockets often with OK overall game.

I posted preseason time in here that Laine must be most underrated player in the league. Writers with straight face say hes lost case. Judging this young players by half season is most bizarre thing ever, and to me shows totaly unknowledge about hockey or sports in general. Laine's raw talent with big body and unorthodox type of play is so easy to see that even Stewie Wonder noticed it in a sec. He's not there yet, but with young players you have gotta look talent before and make judging based on that.

I also posted that if Laine get is skating better, he's allready superstar in NHL. Seems like that just happened, early to say thou. I don't think Laine was 100% present last season neither, seems like a person that take hit too much for himself if not doing well. Not sign of a good player, but superstars are sometimes that.
I agree with everything you said about Laine however Mathews is not as good as some think. Until he improves his play making he's not much better then Laine if at all. He's a shoot first centre though he is great at scoring he doesn't involve his wingers enough in my opinion.

Reactions: Just doink

Bonzo111

Leafs Fan
Oct 31, 2017
Canaderp
I agree with everything you said about Laine however Mathews is not as good as some think. Until he improves his play making he's not much better then Laine if at all. He's a shoot first centre though he is great at scoring he doesn't involve his wingers enough in my opinion.
thats they way his line is structured. Get him the puck and let the best shooter shoot it.

Reactions: thunder16

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Can there ever be a single Laine thread without "MaTThEws iS tEh bETter" or vice versa?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad