Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
It's early, but very impressive nonetheless. If you forget raw points and look at 5v5 scoring, Scheifele, Draisaitl, and Laine are leading the league respectively. McDavid has 4 points at 5v5.

Laine with 7 points (5 assists). Of the 5 assists, 2 are A¹, and 3 are A².

Laine is showing that dual-threat right now. Bodes well for him to fire up the laser beam when he eventually gets that extra time and space.

Glad he's had a great start. Stay consistent now.

Extra time and space seems a lot less of an issue with Wheeler and Scheifele. That Scheif pass last night was unreal.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Going all the way back to his rookie year Laine’s productivity plummeted when he was playing with Little, he was over a point per game when Little wasn’t his Centerman. Little’s production also dropped when he was with Laine so it’s not just a case of Little being the problem. That combination simply doesn’t work but Paul Maurice just keeps going back to it as his default.

With Little coming back soon, I can all but guarantee that they will be paired up again 2 weeks from now, and neither will produce anything 5v5.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
This will be an eye opening season for many. The cat is out of the bag (ELL) and it won't go back in. PoMo can't bury him anymore. That's really bad news for the haters. Crowfeast.

He wants to be the best player in the world and I'd never bet against him. Now he has the role and cast to be just that. Might need a couple more years of physical development but he's getting there.
Linemates were a problem but far from his biggest problem last year. You do him a disservice to not credit him for fixing his back, improving his skating and getting in better shape this summer.

He didn't play with Scheifele the first couple games this year and still looked good. And Copp is worse than Little.

Reactions: libertarian

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Extra time and space seems a lot less of an issue with Wheeler and Scheifele. That Scheif pass last night was unreal.

Scheif is the real motor in WPG. Ehlers looked like an Allstar when he was on the Scheif line earlier this year.

Laine should send Luke Kunin a box of chocos.

Florbalista

Jul 28, 2019
What was last year's slump about then?

And why is he playing on the first line this year? Was it all about the contract?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't really give a **** about comparing him to anyone, I'm just happy to see the guy from his rookie/sophomore seasons back.

He looks like a completely different player from last season. I don't know if it was the back injury, lack of confidence or what but he looks dramatically different.

I don't know, i think Mario is a pretty good comparable :sarcasm:

If you ask me he took things for granted last year. After his rookie year people kept bringing up tough sophomore seasons to him all the time in interviews during the summer and he sounded like he wanted to take the challenge and do well. Finishing 2nd in the Rocket race was certainly good i think after a great 2nd half he just thought things would be easy from there on out.

I actually saw him in the summer a year ago and my nephew asked for an autograph. We chatted for a minute or so and the HFme was thinking "man, he doesn't look like he's in athlete shape" :laugh:

Then in the training camp interview he once again said he hasn't skated at all in the summer and i was like ooh boy.

This year he apparently started skating early in the summer, had people in the Jets organization telling him how it is and that he needs to put in the work to get better and he's playing with a chip on his shoulder from last year. His work ethic is a lot better now and seeing it bring results feeds confidence. Last nights game (the shot and dangle+pass) was the Laine i've been missing.

Honestly looking back year+, if someone from the future told me Laine will suck in 18/19 and then have a fantastic season in 19/20 it would've made a lot of sense.

Still early, but a good start for sure. Something he didn't have the last couple years so that's encouraging.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He didn't play with Scheifele the first couple games this year and still looked good. And Copp is worse than Little.
Copp is a better possession driver than Little is at this point in his career. Copp’s P/60 last year was better than anything Little has done in 3-4 years. Some of this is that both Little and Laine suffer when paired together though.

Putting a 2-way C with size like Copp between two dynamic wingers is a combination that can work well IMO. Little would be better utilized with Lowry and Perreault IMO.

Reactions: hn777

stonec

Nov 21, 2011

And why is he playing on the first line this year? Was it all about the contract?

He played several weeks on the first line last March as well, but result was average at best, at least if we compare to what he is doing now.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
That one was pretty neat. I wrote "MOST of the assists...". That means a majority of them. That doesn't include every assist. Your reading comprehension is a disaster, I'm pretty done with you as well.

Most of anyone’s assists are going to be of the garden variety kind, even Marner.

Reactions: FireChevy

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Laine has god-genes on speed? I don't see it. Or are you speaking of Rantanen?

I don't expect Laine to be the fastest or the most agile skater out there. But he can probably achieve a pretty decent top-speed for a bigger guy.

His first few steps will always be a little slower compared to the faster skaters out there, no matter how hard he trains at it.

Rantanen, of course. Has track-sprinters as parents. All siblings are athletes. He is the slowest one of them.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018

Yes, teams have a history pumping / deflating players tires before trades / contracts. So in part it could very well be about that

But I think the biggest reasons by far are his previous summe training (---> more back problems), and Winnipeg having way more wingers than centers (when Stastny was in town, Laine was doing pretty good, even though his skating wasn't great even then)

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
One of my favourite all-time interview answers, in response to a reporter asking Laine if he's becoming more of a playmaker: "I hope not".

Eat your words, Patrik.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Bryan Burke will eat anything and ask for seconds.

Tis no man, but a remorseless eating machine.

With all due fairness, people speak in relation to the time

Last year he was a one trick pony. I am impressed by his game this year. He has seemed to take it upon himself to get better

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is really cool to see

I think out of all the young talent in the league today, Laine was the hardest to get a read on. You know what guys like McDavid and even Matthews and such will give you, more or less.

I still feel as though Laine's ceiling is sky high - but his floor really really low. Such a big range. Would be nice to see him put together a good season. Not too long ago people were saying Laine ~ Matthews. I'd like to see Laine reach that level still.

Reactions: hn777 and Plural

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
Yes, teams have a history pumping / deflating players tires before trades / contracts. So in part it could very well be about that
That's not the way, the Jets operate though. Then, they would have played Ehlers over Connor on the topline and PP1 all of last season.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Guys like Nylander and Ehlers have to score way more points to be in a same tier with one of the best snipers in the league.

The raw goalscoring talent/shot Laine has is one in a million. He is in a category of maybe 5 other players in the league, and that category is the most important one in a game of hockey.
Damn. Didn't know all you had to do was average 36 goals/season to be in the top 5 of the most important category in hockey... Thanks.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
One of my favourite all-time interview answers, in response to a reporter asking Laine if he's becoming more of a playmaker: "I hope not".

Eat your words, Patrik.
He was just asked about this again and he said "I still want to score goals more than I want assists".

He ain't eating NOTHING

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
That scheif pass was unreal, but there's very few people in the world who can one-time that puck with that kind of accuracy and velocity.

True dat. It was beautiful execution by both. Scheif didn't even look at Laine for seconds and even Laine was caught off guard by that pass. So, what do you do when you get a surprise puck in the middle off a rush stride? Naturally you perfectly one-time it to the net.

Kudos for both guys. Scheif for carrying the puck and perfecting the pass without even looking and Laine for one-timing that pass in the net mid stride. There's not a lot of guys in the game capable of doing either of those things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad