Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Laine is one of those guys that TV just doesn't do justice to. The physical advantages that guy has are incredible.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Youngest European to have that many goals ever.

Crazy that peoole are saying that he is still not superstar.

How I would love to see him to score an outlier season, if possible a type against usual stereotypes. Something like

18G (incl. 7 EN, 5PP, 2 Hatties) + 102A (45A1+57A2) = 120 in 78GPs (flu)

Only to see all those various comments about him going upside down.

No, Not even that would get me surprised.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
His analytics are still terrible. Wait the his lines shooting % goes back to the mean. He is getting points but is still the same terrible player as last year.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Last night they also gave one of Neal Pionk's assists to Laine for some reason.

There was a reason for that. He touches the puck as 3rd last Jets player. Laine deflects the first pass from Scheifele to Wheeler before Scheifele went to back of the net. I didn't catch that live myself, as I watched without sound. TSN announcers did catch it live.

That was a freebie for sure, but not stolen from Morrissey. (I thought the "3rd assist" was by Morrissey, not Pionk, but I can remember it wrong)

He has got a couple of "free assists", but I did like some of his "not so flashy" assists that were still crucial for the goal. Also made one takeaway that did lead into a goal, without an assist.

It's just a nature of assists, that like 1 out of 4 is a freebie, and the pass is very rarely as important as the goal. When you play with good players, that inflates your stats. With bad players it's reversed, and your stats will be deflated.

Nosferatu

Nov 10, 2016
Leads the league in points, assists and +/-. If those don't make a superstar then there are zero superstars in the league currently.

On top of 4 points he had 8 hits last night. How many did your superstar have?
I actually like Laine I just want to see how he is doing after 20 games or 80. Pretty pretty pretty good start so far though.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
I actually like Laine I just want to see how he is doing after 20 games or 80. Pretty pretty pretty good start so far though.

If he stays in the 1st line with Scheifele, he'll be well over 100 pts after 82. If he goes back to Little after his injury is done, his production will drop by more than half.

And this has been optional for Maurice for 3 seasons now. Maurice in his "great and unmatched wisdom" did not opt to use it much, other than the start of 16-17 and when Stastny came. Laine's had this game in him the entire time and he has shown it each time he was allowed.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
you clearly haven't watched any games....

Am I missing how is he is running at 38% high danger scoring chances percentage. He is getting his head caved in, but the pucks are going in for him and his line mates. That will dry up soon.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
Am I missing how is he is running at 38% high danger scoring chances percentage. He is getting his head caved in, but the pucks are going in for him and his line mates. That will dry up soon.

Because he is a ridiculously good shooter and passer and his line doesn't waste time creating chances, they score from them.

Laine will always be bigger than the "expected" stats are going to predict. When he plays with capable people that is.

The only way it dries up is if they put him back with Little. By your remarks, sounds like you can't wait for that. There are plenty of his haters who have been so happy about his shitty usage because this Laine has not been let out to play. Now he is, and you guys can weep. He'll give you plenty of reasons.

Reactions: PhilJets

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Because he is a ridiculously good shooter and passer and his line doesn't waste time creating chances, they score from them.

Laine will always be bigger than the "expected" stats are going to predict. When he plays with capable people that is.

The only way it dries up is if they put him back with Little. By your remarks, sounds like you can't wait for that. There are plenty of his haters who have been so happy about his ****ty usage because this Laine has not been let out to play. Now he is, and you guys can weep. He'll give you plenty of reasons.

His XG% will always be higher because he is an elite shooter but the puck will usually be in his own zone when he is on the ice.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
His analytics are still terrible. Wait the his lines shooting % goes back to the mean. He is getting points but is still the same terrible player as last year.

He's not top5 player by any means but he sure as hell isn't as bad as he was last year.

Psych0dad

Sep 27, 2017
Saint John, N.B
His XG% will always be higher because he is an elite shooter but the puck will usually be in his own zone when he is on the ice.

It doesn't really matter as long as they outscore the opponent. That's all that matters in hockey.

And outscore he will. Always has with a decent center. He lead the team in 5 on 5 +/- after 2 seasons and is leading the league in +/- right now. I could care less what some obscure stat says when the guy will always outscore his opponents by a country mile.

Expected goals or puck in zone times are completely irrelevant. It's like judging the color of the car rather than the actual performance of it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
You need to try watching the games.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012

The only way it dries up is if they put him back with Little. By your remarks, sounds like you can't wait for that. There are plenty of his haters who have been so happy about his ****ty usage because this Laine has not been let out to play. Now he is, and you guys can weep. He'll give you plenty of reasons.
Just curious; are you Finnish?

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Even Ovechkin has had bad seasons well below ppg multiple times get real.
He also had a few Art ross and Rockets to back up the epithet "Superstar" before those seasons. Is Laine backing up his superstar claim with 0 ppg seasons?

Last edited:

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
He also had a few Art ross and Rockets to back up the epithet "Superstar" before those seasons. Is Laine backing up his superstar claim with 0 ppg seasons?
And that means what? Absolutely nothing. I know you are trolling by ignoring Laine's accolades of being one of the best teenage goal scorers in history.

Reactions: Snowman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad