Laine has already 70% amount of assists than he had in the whole last season

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
It's early, but very impressive nonetheless. If you forget raw points and look at 5v5 scoring, Scheifele, Draisaitl, and Laine are leading the league respectively. McDavid has 4 points at 5v5.

Laine with 7 points (5 assists). Of the 5 assists, 2 are A¹, and 3 are A².

Laine is showing that dual-threat right now. Bodes well for him to fire up the laser beam when he eventually gets that extra time and space.

Glad he's had a great start. Stay consistent now.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Laine leads the league in

* Assists
* Takeaway-giveaway differential (+5 tied with Getzlaf, Koivu)

Interesting times.

Reactions: Viktor Vaughn

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
I think threads like this one shouldn't be allowed until all teams have played at least 20 games.
Otherwise we can potentially have a several new ones each day, during the early part of the season.
Yeah, we can´t have that kind of stuff happening on a discussion board :sarcasm:. We should just close down this place and open up in January.

Mildan

Jan 7, 2019
was he on second line again yesterday? he only played 16.40 or so when Connor clocked over 19

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
I love this. A few weeks ago Jets didn’t want to pay Laine. Now that his back has healed he is again tearing it up. Can’t wait to see him turn the tables and wreck Winnipeg with his next contract. Better yet, hope he pulls a Trouba and goes somewhere he is appreciated.

Reactions: robertocarlos

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Left the playstation at home... for away games. Doesn't make any difference, really. He said they will just watch NHL, FEL & KHL games from TV with Heinola then.

Well I did say home, and yes it can absolutely make a difference.

Angry Laine is a good Laine.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Well I did say home, and yes it can absolutely make a difference.

Angry Laine is a good Laine.

He doesn't use PS4 on the road, and that makes him angry, and then he plays well?

Interesting theory. Though someone claimed that when he plays well on Fortnite, he is also playing well on ice. Confidence? But I think both theories are rubbish.

His back problems were real, his deployment/usage problems by Maurice were real and his confidence problems were real as well, last season. Now as all these three are fixed the same time, I don't think that "no PS4 on road" thing changes anything.

Besides, his first home game is his best so far, and AFAIK he does have his PS4 at his Winnipeg home. So there goes that.

Reactions: Nate070

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
was he on second line again yesterday? he only played 16.40 or so when Connor clocked over 19

Surprisingly low number. I didn't even notice during the game. Laine was pretty visible on ice, positively. He also did not have any over long shifts and is usually the first guy out. Also Connor did play couple of over long shifts, at least once (I think) on purpose to get some ice time with Scheifele & Wheeler to get his game going. Also Connor played some PK.

But to answer to your question, no, he still played with Scheifele and Wheeler on the first line, that was the game changer for the Jets, regardless their lower than average TOI. I am advocate of spreading your TOI, though for sure Laine should generally play 18-20 minutes / 60. His average TOI for this season has been roughly 18 minutes, which is 4th of all Jets forwards and OK.

On the home opener he had 8 hits according to somebody and made a lot of forechecking, so I guess that's also a good reason not to have over long shifts.

Iwuwd

Oct 11, 2019
Does Laine really game on console? Somebody build him a PC.

But sweet snipe and assist on Connor's goal.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I don't really give a **** about comparing him to anyone, I'm just happy to see the guy from his rookie/sophomore seasons back.

He looks like a completely different player from last season. I don't know if it was the back injury, lack of confidence or what but he looks dramatically different.
Yesterday may have been the best total game I've ever seen him play, and that includes the five goal game against St. Louis last year. Scheifele may be the stick that stirs the Jets drink, but man, Laine is definitely not making anybody regret his insistence about playing on the top line.

Reactions: FireChevy and hn777

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
That one was pretty neat. I wrote "MOST of the assists...". That means a majority of them. That doesn't include every assist. Your reading comprehension is a disaster, I'm pretty done with you as well.
So he’s just like almost every other player in history then. Some assists are nice, others are the puck touching the stick. Gotcha!

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
So he’s just like almost every other player in history then. Some assists are nice, others are the puck touching the stick. Gotcha!
Assits depend if they get scored on. Its not like Laine doesnt dish some beauties pretty often. Just not all of those go in, then some one can score from some other play where he just keeps the play alive in the boards. Thats life. I dont hear McJesus or others being critized for getting assit on too dull play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad