Post-Game Talk: Laine got his Finnish back: Jets 4 - Cats 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Man that was awesome. Time just blew by and it was over way too quickly :laugh: but I finally got a Jets jersey now and Laine did what everyone in that arena hoped for, haha. I was sitting in an area with barely any actual fans though, only what seemed to me neutral Finnish fans that seemed to not care one way or another as long as Barkov or Laine had the puck so that was a little bit of a bummer. Let's hope for another win tomorrow.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Man that was awesome. Time just blew by and it was over way too quickly :laugh: but I finally got a Jets jersey now and Laine did what everyone in that arena hoped for, haha. I was sitting in an area with barely any actual fans though, only what seemed to me neutral Finnish fans that seemed to not care one way or another as long as Barkov or Laine had the puck so that was a little bit of a bummer. Let's hope for another win tomorrow.
Going for another game tomorrow? If you can catch me Laine Jersey with Signature, ill pay you 400€ for it. And I wont resell it, itll go to best Place of my house. :P I missed the tickets, I was trying to buy them like just little time after they went to sale and it was allready sellout for both games.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Very cool that you got to the game, GJF! :nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Happy for Laine, he played well and deserved it. I wasn't thrilled with how we started that game but we slowly worked our way into it.

Lets go out and win tomorrow.

Also happy with Helle's effort tonight he played quite well.

Reactions: Jets 31

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don’t want to ***** after a win but Wheeler is really the opposite of full value for the pts he is getting.

He was so good at creating pressure and carrying the play before and this year it seems to be the opposite.

I’ve seen so many games where he got zero points but played WAAAAAAYYYYYY better.

Hopefully as suggested he’ll get past the usual slow start thing. That’s if Maurice doesn’t run him into the ground before then.

He wasn't good at this last year either. He is chiseling points on the PP now.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Man this would have been awesome to see live.

Great confidence booster all around, especially for Laine.

Reactions: ps241

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
No results yet, but they looked dangerous
I agree. I’d like to see Maurice give this line some time to gel. It really evened out the othe lines too. This was the most even I’ve ever seen all of our lines skill wise don’t know about TOI.

Our lines 1-4 were:

Little
Lowry
Scheifele
Copp.

IMO

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Going for another game tomorrow? If you can catch me Laine Jersey with Signature, ill pay you 400€ for it. And I wont resell it, itll go to best Place of my house. :P I missed the tickets, I was trying to buy them like just little time after they went to sale and it was allready sellout for both games.

Unfortunately I'm not going tomorrow, one game was expensive enough for me.

Very cool that you got to the game, GJF! :nod:

Yeah I was so excited. As I mentioned before, during the flight from Frankfurt to Helsinki I was already sitting in the same row with a married couple of season ticket holders from Winnipeg. The husband talked about the fact that his son played junior hockey with someone that plays for the capitals now or something like that. I kind of only half listened to it I guess.

So today I was in a cathedral with my girlfriend and as I turned around, there is the couple from winnipeg again and we had another chat. I told the husband that I took a picture with the Stanley Cup yesterday and showed it him. He was like "well that's a cool story :) I have one with the cup as well." and he goes on to show me a picture of him lifting the cup with Madison Bowey next to him what looked like to be some backyard on the day Bowey had the Cup I assume?

"Well now my story seems pretty boring". We had a nice laugh :laugh:

In general I can say that over the last 24hours I saw like 20-30 people with Jets gear around the entire city compared to only one(!) guy with a Panthers jersey. Before and during the game, I saw a lot more people with Panthers jerseys but it seemed to me like it was mainly about having a Barkov jersey, not at all about the Florida Panthers.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He wasn't good at this last year either. He is chiseling points on the PP now.

I don’t know... he seemed a lot better at keeping pucks alive in the offensive zone. He also seemed to be trying harder then almost every other player. When him and Scheif would dump the puck in you knew some of the time they were going to get in hard force the TO and get some chances.

This year I kind of expect the other team to clear the zone pretty easily.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
I don’t want to ***** after a win but Wheeler is really the opposite of full value for the pts he is getting.

He was so good at creating pressure and carrying the play before and this year it seems to be the opposite.

I’ve seen so many games where he got zero points but played WAAAAAAYYYYYY better.

Hopefully as suggested he’ll get past the usual slow start thing. That’s if Maurice doesn’t run him into the ground before then.
Completely agree, his game isn't close to last year. He's still passing pretty well, particularly on the PP, but other areas of his game are way off. Hoping it's just injury.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
how late did this game start ? ? just watched my pvr and i set it to run for an extra 30 min incase ot and it stopped with 11 minutes left! so pissed..

Reactions: upperdeckjet

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Finnish Flash 2.0 with the hat trick.

Barkov who?

To be fair, Barkov was excellent in the game, leading by far the best 5-on-5 line. Fortunately they missed crapload of huge scoring chances against ESW. I haven't been following Panthers at all for a couple of seasons, but some guys commented that it has been the theme this season they are getting their excellent chances but not burying those.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Hi guys. I’m back from the arena and just wanted to share some stories.

So I got tickets to the practices and both games for myself and my 70 year old mum who I have slowly converted to a hockey/Jets fan. She has never followed hockey in any capacity but she knows most of the Jets now after hearing game reports from me over the years. It was her first hockey game in person and she loved it.

I bought an alternate nameless jersey (can’t believe I didn’t like them at first) and a Laine home jersey at the practices yesterday. I wanted a Byfuglien one but they only had Laine and nameless ones so I’ll try to get the name done later. I was donning the home jersey and my mum the alternate. I also bought her a Jets pom pom hat that she grew quite fond of (more on that later).

Now, props to Wheeler for letting Laine take the ceremonial face off, it was a great PR move to sell the league over here. Barkov got by far the louder cheers than Laine at the player introductions and people were jeering Laine (I was also complaining to my mum about his recent play). His skating and compete level were really good at the practice yesterday but when the game began he looked nervous and I thought the pressure would get him. It didn’t really look that good.

I’d like to take a tiny bit of credit for the first Jets goal because I got a go Jets go chant going just as the first goal happened ,) And then the flood gates opened. You know, this was like one of those sports movies where adversity is beat, and it could not have been scripted better. The exposure value for the Jets and for the NHL in this country can’t be stated enough.

When the second Laine goal happened I told my mum to dig out her pom pom... but she didn’t want to give it to me :D I bargained with her and she finally dug it out from her bag. I explained to her that would you rather wear the hat or see it on the ice after a once in a lifetime opportunity to let me throw it on the ice after the inevitable empty net hat trick. She still would rather have worn it, but I told her how much it would mean to me to throw it and I’d buy her a new one and all the hats she’d ever want. She then gave it to me, and just a couple of minutes later it was lying on the ice.

We went by the merchandise stand on our way back home, but they were OUT OF HATS! But we’re going back tomorrow so she’ll get a new one, but something tells me I should buy two this time ,)

My doggie (the avatar pic) was crying and dancing when we got back home because she comes to the office every day and I never leave her alone. But today was a very special day, I got to see the Jets and as icing on the cake see a daddy trick in person, so she’ll get over it eventually.

When the game ended I kissed the Jets logo on my jersey and someone from NHL saw it and wanted me to do it again so he could take a picture of it, and he also asked me to share the story of my mum’s hat with the viewers.

Just wanted to say how lucky you are to have this fine team as your home team, and thanks for sharing with us! I hope you can also let us enjoy the hatty without too much remarks because it really could not have been scripted any better. The lost son has returned and it can only mean good things for the Jets in the long run.

Go Jets!

cctyler

Apr 7, 2012
Unfortunately I'm not going tomorrow, one game was expensive enough for me.

Yeah I was so excited. As I mentioned before, during the flight from Frankfurt to Helsinki I was already sitting in the same row with a married couple of season ticket holders from Winnipeg. The husband talked about the fact that his son played junior hockey with someone that plays for the capitals now or something like that. I kind of only half listened to it I guess.

So today I was in a cathedral with my girlfriend and as I turned around, there is the couple from winnipeg again and we had another chat. I told the husband that I took a picture with the Stanley Cup yesterday and showed it him. He was like "well that's a cool story :) I have one with the cup as well." and he goes on to show me a picture of him lifting the cup with Madison Bowey next to him what looked like to be some backyard on the day Bowey had the Cup I assume?

"Well now my story seems pretty boring". We had a nice laugh :laugh:

In general I can say that over the last 24hours I saw like 20-30 people with Jets gear around the entire city compared to only one(!) guy with a Panthers jersey. Before and during the game, I saw a lot more people with Panthers jerseys but it seemed to me like it was mainly about having a Barkov jersey, not at all about the Florida Panthers.

I was at that party! It was Boweys house in waverley west. I think morrisssey rents it during the season.
Madison is a good kid, he worked for us for a bit during his off seasons a few years ago.

Reactions: GJF and Tommigun

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I really liked Hellebuyck’s game tonight, boy was he sharp! Hutch vs Croissant tomorrow?

Also Wheeler could have had the empty netter with a wraparound but he tried to find Laine instead. Such a classy selfless move by the captain.

How did the game look on tv? Was anything sticking out as compared to normal NHL regular season games?

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Well i predicted Laine would score 4 today in the GDT and he made a fool of me only scoring 3 . :laugh: Tomorrow Laine scores 5 , come on Laine , i dare you to make me look stupid and only score 4 . :laugh: Good game from Helly and Buff as well and a big 2 points for the win .

DashingDane

Paul Maurice <3
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
Hi guys. I’m back from the arena and just wanted to share some stories.

So I got tickets to the practices and both games for myself and my 70 year old mum who I have slowly converted to a hockey/Jets fan. She has never followed hockey in any capacity but she knows most of the Jets now after hearing game reports from me over the years. It was her first hockey game in person and she loved it.

I bought an alternate nameless jersey (can’t believe I didn’t like them at first) and a Laine home jersey at the practices yesterday. I wanted a Byfuglien one but they only had Laine and nameless ones so I’ll try to get the name done later. I was donning the home jersey and my mum the alternate. I also bought her a Jets pom pom hat that she grew quite fond of (more on that later).

Now, props to Wheeler for letting Laine take the ceremonial face off, it was a great PR move to sell the league over here. Barkov got by far the louder cheers than Laine at the player introductions and people were jeering Laine (I was also complaining to my mum about his recent play). His skating and compete level were really good at the practice yesterday but when the game began he looked nervous and I thought the pressure would get him. It didn’t really look that good.

I’d like to take a tiny bit of credit for the first Jets goal because I got a go Jets go chant going just as the first goal happened ,) And then the flood gates opened. You know, this was like one of those sports movies where adversity is beat, and it could not have been scripted better. The exposure value for the Jets and for the NHL in this country can’t be stated enough.

When the second Laine goal happened I told my mum to dig out her pom pom... but she didn’t want to give it to me :D I bargained with her and she finally dug it out from her bag. I explained to her that would you rather wear the hat or see it on the ice after a once in a lifetime opportunity to let me throw it on the ice after the inevitable empty net hat trick. She still would rather have worn it, but I told her how much it would mean to me to throw it and I’d buy her a new one and all the hats she’d ever want. She then gave it to me, and just a couple of minutes later it was lying on the ice.

We went by the merchandise stand on our way back home, but they were OUT OF HATS! But we’re going back tomorrow so she’ll get a new one, but something tells me I should buy two this time ,)

My doggie (the avatar pic) was crying and dancing when we got back home because she comes to the office every day and I never leave her alone. But today was a very special day, I got to see the Jets and as icing on the cake see a daddy trick in person, so she’ll get over it eventually.

When the game ended I kissed the Jets logo on my jersey and someone from NHL saw it and wanted me to do it again so he could take a picture of it, and he also asked me to share the story of my mum’s hat with the viewers.

Just wanted to say how lucky you are to have this fine team as your home team, and thanks for sharing with us! I hope you can also let us enjoy the hatty without too much remarks because it really could not have been scripted any better. The lost son has returned and it can only mean good things for the Jets in the long run.

Go Jets!

Great to hear you and your ma had fun!!

Reactions: Tommigun

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I really liked Hellebuyck’s game tonight, boy was he sharp! Hutch vs Croissant tomorrow?

Also Wheeler could have had the empty netter with a wraparound but he tried to find Laine instead. Such a classy selfless move by the captain.

How did the game look on tv? Was anything sticking out as compared to normal NHL regular season games?
The way Maurice was talking the other day i wouldn't be surprised to see Helly start again , but i think Frenchie 2 should play .

Reactions: Tommigun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad