Laine doing it right away

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Laine will figure that out its a matter of when not if...

And when Laine does hustle and enjoys the battles...

That's when the monster Laine comes out to play...

We have not seen that guy since he got shot into his ankle, had to leave the game and was out for a while.. this was at march, his "slump"may have something to do with that or not

Nevertheless damn I miss the monster Laine

SeattleSportsFan

May 1, 2018
A lot of comparison have made between Ovechkin and Laine and it many thought that Jets won't be going far because it's built in the same way as Washington that haven't been able to do anything during Ovechkin's time. Now Jets with Laine are already in the WCF and have a great shot at the cup. Does this change the thought that you can't build winner team with the franchise winger?

I could see Laine being compared to Ovechkin in the future but right now Laine still has a lot to prove. Both players have a heck of a shot.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I hate to say it but Laine is pretty 1 dimensional. Average play maker, questionable defense, no physicality, and a turning radius of a semi. Best shot in the league though with plenty of time to round out his game.
You obviously don’t see him play a lot.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Not sadder than a guy that was defending the player saying one thing in one thread and than stating the opposite in the other. Credibility down the drain pal. Don’t flip flop and start calling other people trolls.

Thank the Gods that I never became a Leafs fan while living in Toronto...I don't think I'd have the tools to deal with the (vicarious) embarrassment.

Reactions: Snowman

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
We know he's suffering from some kind of back issues since the start of game one in Rd one......left practice multi times early holding his back in pain.....well documented by the local media......but they are staying quite about it for the most part out of respect for the team. I have no issues with Laine producing at the current rate and he's not hurting the team defensively and producing at near PPG pace........if people consider that bad.....I'm guessing they must be roasting their own players who most are golfing now and produced less then Laine. Over 82 games he producing a 69 point pace and 25 goals during the toughest period in the year to score vs two of the best defensive teams this season. If that's bad......give me more of that all day long. If people want to complain about a Jets production they should be talking about Ehlers....not Laine.

After his goal the other night once he was done with the on ice celebrations and returned back to the bench there was a visible agonizing look on his face and it pretty much confirmed what I already knew. Kinda worrisome to be honest and explains many things. I really seriously doubt we are looking at a player who would be anywhere near the ice was it not for the playoffs.

Early in the Wild series he was still punishing players with big hits from left to right, but I've seen this less and less the deeper the Jets have gotten in the playoffs. The one game in the Preds series where Laine elevated his game on the next level when the Jets were down by two goals it looked like he went on the beast mode and even scored a goal at the dying minutes to give the team a fighting chance. This was the Laine I had expected to see in these playoffs but he doesn't look to be in no condition of switching gears whenever he wanted. Which is fine, cause he has all the time in the world to be far bigger force in the elimination games. Nonetheless you cannot but help to appreciate that he is sacrificing his well-being and helping to make a difference on ice. His presence alone makes the Jets far deadlier opponent and forces the opponent to allow more space for other players when they choose to mark him. Something that's pretty evident at all games.

Suppose once either they are out of the race or holding the trophy itself we get some official release of his state. I really just hope it's nothing too serious that would not fix itself by rest and most of all that it would not come by with a heavy price tag, like partially costing Laine the summer & off season which is extremely important.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
A lot of comparison have made between Ovechkin and Laine and it many thought that Jets won't be going far because it's built in the same way as Washington that haven't been able to do anything during Ovechkin's time. Now Jets with Laine are already in the WCF and have a great shot at the cup. Does this change the thought that you can't build winner team with the franchise winger?

To be perfectly honest, you could probably take out Laine from the line up and the Jets would still be okay. They have enough depth and there are much better players on the team already. That's not a knock on him, but he is being quite sheltered right now because the team can afford to. JMO and I stand by it.

AutisticGoat

Mar 9, 2018
To be perfectly honest, you could probably take out Laine from the line up and the Jets would still be okay. They have enough depth and there are much better players on the team already. That's not a knock on him, but he is being quite sheltered right now because the team can afford to. JMO and I stand by it.

And again, if winnipeg were carried by 20 years old player on his second nhl season, they wouldnt even be in playoffs. Its good job itself that he fits in so good line-up.

Most of the comments here looks like ones that come from people who have no real experience from hockey, which is fine. But almost every hockey junior plays still in minors when they are 20 years old. This guy is in second line in a team that is playing in conference finals.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
As already been pointed out this Jets team isn't built around Laine. The core is more like Scheif, Buff and Wheeler.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Jets are not built around Laine, the way the Caps were/are with Ovechkin.

Ovie was always the Caps best, and most valuable player. He was taxed with carrying the team on his back.

Hellebuyck, Byfuglien, Scheifele and Wheeler are the 4 more important players on the Jets right now. They provide experience, leadership and great consistency so Laine, Connor and Ehlers can just do their thing.

Laine is a talented sniper and can score a couple of goals in a period to win a game, but the Jets have won these playoffs with Laine being a non-factor offensively.

I'd say the best "wing example" anyone can give is Patrick Kane. Yes, the Hawks had other great players, but Kane was dominant and a Conn Smythe winner as a winger, scoring huge goal after huge goal.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He isn't really moving his feet well, and turns a lot of pucks over. He just seem off, so I can certainly buy that he is playing through a tough injury. It doesn't seem to affect his shot, but he's not usually this immobile.

What speaks against that theory is that if he had an injury that severely limited how well he moved, I don't think the coaches would scream at him to move his feet better.

In either case, he's found a way to stay productive which is good.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
How is 11 points in 13 games a "non-factor" offensively? A better example of a non-factor would be someone who had 2 points in 7 games, for instance.

I was referring to individual games. The Jets still won games where Laine didn't put up points.

One of the main reasons the Caps have always come up short in the playoffs is due to Ovechkin not being able to dominate offensively. The Jets aren't in that situation with Laine. He doesn't need to score every game or carry them on his back for them to win. I think that's clear.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Quite apparently injured youngster playing his first NHL playoffs and at the moment two points shy from PPG while playing in the second line with a major role in the first powerplay unit, yet apparently still "a non-factor offensively".

Some seriously bitter fans out there. Wouldn't want it any other way though! :thumbu:

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The comparisons need to end. Ovechkin is a fantastic playoff performer, and Laine has been great in his first season. The Jets and Capitals are two completely different teams, so it's hard to compare the team success.

Also, Leaf fans need to just leave Laine threads. They come in with agendas and it comes across as super petty and immature.

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010
I wouldn't say hes a "non-factor" offensively. I'd say he's a passenger on the Winnipeg bus. Schifele/Wheeler/Stasny/Buff /Helle are carrying the load, he's just along for the ride (doing well tho).

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
Lol no. Their PP would suffer a lot. Preds chose to commit one player on him which opened up the ice for others. And I like how leaf fans are trying to make it look like he isnt contributing while Laine has 11 points in 13 games.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
How is 11 points in 13 games a "non-factor" offensively? A better example of a non-factor would be someone who had 2 points in 7 games, for instance.

That + a lot of goals have come from the opposing team putting effort into taking away Laine's shooting space which has led to other players gaining space to score instead, atleast in the power play.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Lol no. Their PP would suffer a lot. Preds chose to commit one player on him which opened up the ice for others. And I like how leaf fans are trying to make it look like he isnt contributing while Laine has 11 points in 13 games.

That's true, when they showed the ES stats for the series with Nashville they were so close but Winnipeg was better in the PP which (on paper) won them the series

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
One of the main reasons the Caps have always come up short in the playoffs is due to Ovechkin not being able to dominate offensively.

That's just not true lmao. Scoring in the playoffs is harder than in the regular season and Ovi's still done well.

It's like some people don't actually follow hockey here and just go by team success.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
That's true, when they showed the ES stats for the series with Nashville they were so close but Winnipeg was better in the PP which (on paper) won them the series
What the f***? That is not even close to being the truth.

Nashville: +5 on the PP
Winnipeg: +2 on the PP (both of these at 5v4)

What really tipped the scales was the Jets' depth at F, which kept the eleven non-first line forwards the Preds iced to a combined ten points in seven games. Moreover, they managed to put up 21 points themselves at ES.

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
What the ****? That is not even close to being the truth.

Nashville: +5 on the PP
Winnipeg: +2 on the PP

What really tipped the scales was the Jets' depth at F, which kept the eleven non-first line forwards the Preds iced to a combined ten points in seven games. Moreover, they managed to put up 21 points themselves at ES.

Really? I swear I saw some stat sheet on Reddit or during an intermission saying the ES stats were identical.

Maybe it was the regular season stats and I mixed them up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad