Laine already benched?

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Job interviewer: How do you resolve conflicts in the workplace?

Here is the video of him admitting to saying something he shouldn't have said. Should make it pretty clear why he was benched.

------------------------------------------

Here is the full interview which I think gives a better perspective.

Thanks! He was a lot more articulate in the first part. I did not see the game but I assumed that he did not play super well for the events to unfold. That happens, I rather the coach bench a really good player who's on an off night and not in the right head space than playing them despite mistakes... but again my opinion is invalid because idk why he was benched

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Well he isn't playing in Finland and has been in North America for 5 years now. He should know by now that you cant do that. Culture isn't an excuse for being an asshole.

Its not being asshole. In nordic countries people say "f*** off" quite often to our bosses and its nothing bad. I think it's good for the both ways. Let Laine be himself and not american church boy.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Laine really impressed me with his response to this. It wasn’t even a “I’m only saying this because my agent told me to” vibe. He’s an understated guy by nature, but this seemed legitimate.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Back in 2016 he carried his team to Liiga championship and won the Jari Kurri trophy as the playoffs MVP. Same year he won the WJC, was all-star and scored most goals in the tournament and was tournament MVP for IIHF World Championships when he agains scored most goals and won silver.

Hate all you want. He might be one dimensional, but when you are really good in your one dimension you can still be a winner, he's proven it.

You just need to put him in the right situation. And this applies to everyone. Not even McDavid can carry Edmonton.

When you're a 110+ point producer then you get a little longer leash to drive offense, when your career high is 70 points you better be bringing more to the table.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
unfortunately for him hockey is a team sport, he should have picked a 1v1 game like tennis maybe?

You've never seen the way tennis players yell at their coaches?

Difference is, the player is the one writing the paychecks.

ChurchOfMatthews

Goldmember
Oct 13, 2016
Plevna
Bit of a cultural thing also.

In Nordic cultures it's not uncommon to tell your boss your opinion straight to his face, without any formal restrains. Finns especially are not known to be very social and verbally talented, and saying f*** of to your boss in burst of emotion if there is a heated discussion is more accepted in Finnish culture than in NA.

I must have some Nordic in me because I don't have that filter either :sarcasm:

Last edited by a moderator:

bar1

Apr 16, 2012
Disagree. He’s a wing and assignment there is gather any pucks that come out to boards/point along that flank. Had CBJ D/C been more effective at clearing then he’s right where he should be. Let’s say he posts up in the slot, when the puck comes out on that side the opponent D/RW now have a ton of time/space to collapse down and set up a high % scoring chance. That happens and he has plain shirked his duty. The video doesn't look pretty but he was playing the position and the odds and was in the right area.
I'd also just say that look what Savard was doing there. THAT was the terrible on that shift. Bouncing around like crazy, then back turned to the player that was his, and going towards a player that already had a man on it. Puck's the other way dude.

Reactions: Windy River

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
I'd also just say that look what Savard was doing there. THAT was the terrible on that shift. Bouncing around like crazy, then back turned to the player that was his, and going towards a player that already had a man on it. Puck's the other way dude.
Good catch. Caught puck chasing at the wrong time.

olop

Jan 28, 2012
Then you have never in your life played organized sports.

I'd like to jump innthe conversation here. I have played organized team sports on a international level. Disrespecting and yelling by the coach is not required to get results and respect.

Sure some coaches act that way but they also tend to lose the room more quickly. Being firm, respectful and fair works best in my experience.

In regard of Laine's situation, he clearly said something stupid and spontaneous, but probably nothing malicious. And benching was the right thing to do but to extend it over the 3rd period sounds a bit extreme.

But I think Laine and CBJ are just getting to know each other. Laine probably won't ever fit Torts' mold perfectly there, but if they learn what ticks each other the right way, it should be fine. This case got out of hand.

Opado

Jan 27, 2013
I'd like to jump innthe conversation here. I have played organized team sports on a international level. Disrespecting and yelling by the coach is not required to get results and respect.

Sure some coaches act that way but they also tend to lose the room more quickly. Being firm, respectful and fair works best in my experience.

In regard of Laine's situation, he clearly said something stupid and spontaneous, but probably nothing malicious. And benching was the right thing to do but to extend it over the 3rd period sounds a bit extreme.

But I think Laine and CBJ are just getting to know each other. Laine probably won't ever fit Torts' mold perfectly there, but if they learn what ticks each other the right way, it should be fine. This case got out of hand.
Yes, thank you. Finally some common sense.

ManWithNoName

Unregistered User
Jul 9, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
The amount of Laine hate on these boards are absolutely ridiculous.

Matthews shows his ass to a security guard. “No problem, make him captain.” Laine tells an assistant to f*** off and the slaughter begins. “Go back to Europe”, “that’s unacceptable” and so on. If you want hypocrisy, hfboards is the place to go.

He f***ed up for sure this time, but he can’t put his skates on without someone here complaining.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010

Matthews shows his ass to a security guard. “No problem, make him captain.” Laine tells an assistant to f*** off and the slaughter begins. “Go back to Europe”, “that’s unacceptable” and so on. If you want hypocrisy, hfboards is the place to go.

He f***ed up for sure this time, but he can’t put his skates on without someone here complaining.
He was finished in the eyes of a million fans already when he went against Matthews in the rookie year. It was inevitable that the bitter nuthuggers would follow his every move for his entire career just waiting for an opportunity to say I told you so or that Laine sucks. Now, add to those guys bitter Jets fans, who desperately want to make it look like they are better off.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Its not being asshole. In nordic countries people say "f*** off" quite often to our bosses and its nothing bad. I think it's good for the both ways. Let Laine be himself and not american church boy.
hes gotta fit into a team mentality, say what you want about torts and his style but he has this team playing well above their skill level, especially with all the talent Columbus has bleed ( and bled for decades so its not just a a torts thing) and Laine will either conform and play or he won't and will not play, leave in the summer and be another problem on a 3rd team, smoke will catch up to him and quite frankly, he seems like a problem player, skill or not, coaches don't tolerate that.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Seems like an odd connection to make. Yes, Matthews did some boneheaded things off the ice and paid a price for it. However, has he been anything but a team player at the NHL level? Is there conflict between he and coaches/teammates? Which players has he thrown under the bus? Which coaches has he told to **** off? Laine comes across as arrogant, entitled, and immature. Blame culture or whatever but it's a terrible look.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad