Laine already benched?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Agreed. He shouldn't be playing for any teams trying to be competitive, Laine's playstyle is suited for bottom feeding teams who just need him to score and nothing else. Teams like Arizona or Detroit would be perfect for him, and when they get good they should trade him because he's not someone you win a cup with.
We're hoping to change that.

Reactions: We Want Ten

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Bit of a cultural thing also.

In Nordic cultures it's not uncommon to tell your boss your opinion straight to his face, without any formal restrains. Finns especially are not known to be very social and verbally talented, and saying f*** of to your boss in burst of emotion if there is a heated discussion is more accepted in Finnish culture than in NA.

Last edited by a moderator:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Agreed. He shouldn't be playing for any teams trying to be competitive, Laine's playstyle is suited for bottom feeding teams who just need him to score and nothing else. Teams like Arizona or Detroit would be perfect for him, and when they get good they should trade him because he's not someone you win a cup with.

He’s not THAT bad defensively. He’s not post-2017 Kessel. Hell, his own teammates in Winnipeg like Connor, Wheeler and even Scheifele could give him a run for his money.

Reactions: Adele Dazeem

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island

Woah, I don't agree with this. Sure he's not a 2-way magician, but the fact that he scores so much makes him a very valuable asset to ANY team. He should be sheltered with a Center who is defensively responsible, something that a coach should be able to adjust.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We're hoping to change that.

I think that depends on Laine more than any external factor. He's going to get what he wants in Columbus being "the guy", top minutes, PP time etc, but if you want that role and not play a team game then there's not going to be a lot of places on winning teams like that for him.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013

In Nordic cultures it's not uncommon to tell your boss your opinion straight to his face, without any formal restrains. Finns especially are not known to be very social and verbally talented, and saying f*ck of to your boss in burst of emotion if there is a heated discussion is more accepted in Finnish culture than in NA.
Well he isn't playing in Finland and has been in North America for 5 years now. He should know by now that you cant do that. Culture isn't an excuse for being an asshole.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
It’s definitely a character issue.

Guy was sent home years ago after telling his teammate that he could kill the coach.

It’s hard to find the article now.
But maybe the Finnish fans can find it.

I can only find a Reddit link

edit: here’s the Reddit link

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think that depends on Laine more than any external factor. He's going to get what he wants in Columbus being "the guy", top minutes, PP time etc, but if you want that role and not play a team game then there's not going to be a lot of places on winning teams like that for him.
Oh, absolutely it depends on him. But the work has to be put in to reach him, and I hope we're able to do that, and I also hope he's going to be sufficiently willing to take that step.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Well he isn't playing in Finland and has been in North America for 5 years now. He should know by now that you cant do that. Culture isn't an excuse for being an asshole.

I don’t get what he “can’t” do. Players go at it with coaches all the time. What could Laine have possibly said that warranted being benched all game?

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I don’t get what he “can’t” do. Players go at it with coaches all the time. What could Laine have possibly said that warranted being benched all game?

If you're telling coaches to go f*** themselves in your 4th game with a new organization, it seems like a benching would be in order, but that's just me.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If you're telling coaches to go f*** themselves in your 4th game with a new organization, it seems like a benching would be in order, but that's just me.

Do we know what the coach said? Refs and coaches say that to players all the time.

Reactions: bar1

pucksakes666

Mar 8, 2018
It’s definitely a character issue.

Guy was sent home years ago after telling his teammate that he could kill the coach.

It’s hard to find the article now.
But maybe the Finnish fans can find it.

I can only find a Reddit link

edit: here’s the Reddit link

mid you watching the video of the moment he got drafted they talk about it there as well

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

In Nordic cultures it's not uncommon to tell your boss your opinion straight to his face, without any formal restrains. Finns especially are not known to be very social and verbally talented, and saying f*ck of to your boss in burst of emotion if there is a heated discussion is more accepted in Finnish culture than in NA.
Sure. But this isn’t some rookie that just left home

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
No, but coaches also have to respect the players. If my boss were to disrespect me or call me names and use foul language, I probably would no longer work for them. I certainly wouldn’t respect someone who didn’t respect me.
Nobody other than a couple of posters who are trying and failing to defend Laine has claimed that anything rude or inappropriate was said to Laine though. Every report has been that he said something to a coach that he shouldn't have, and Laine admitted today that in the heat of the moment he snapped at a coach and shouldn't have done it. He is 100% in the wrong here and even admitted it. Some Laine defenders will never admit that he did something wrong though.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
No, but coaches also have to respect the players. If my boss were to disrespect me or call me names and use foul language, I probably would no longer work for them. I certainly wouldn’t respect someone who didn’t respect me.

Then you have never in your life played organized sports.

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
Here is the video of him admitting to saying something he shouldn't have said. Should make it pretty clear why he was benched.

Reactions: WpgSteve and DJA

paragon

May 5, 2010
Back in 2016 he carried his team to Liiga championship and won the Jari Kurri trophy as the playoffs MVP. Same year he won the WJC, was all-star and scored most goals in the tournament and was tournament MVP for IIHF World Championships when he agains scored most goals and won silver.

Hate all you want. He might be one dimensional, but when you are really good in your one dimension you can still be a winner, he's proven it.

You just need to put him in the right situation. And this applies to everyone. Not even McDavid can carry Edmonton.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba

You guys really are stretching in this one it seems. Maybe it really is just as simple as it seems. Laine mouthed off (regardless of reason) and was punished for it. It has zero to do with ‘Finnish culture’ I can guarantee you that.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Back in 2016 he carried his team to Liiga championship and won the Jari Kurri trophy as the playoffs MVP. Same year he won the WJC, was all-star and scored most goals in the tournament and was tournament MVP for IIHF World Championships when he agains scored most goals and won silver.

Hate all you want. He might be one dimensional, but when you are really good in your one dimension you can still be a winner, he's proven it.

You just need to put him in the right situation. And this applies to everyone. Not even McDavid can carry Edmonton.
Get outta here with your facts and common sense! We come here to air our opinions about how Laine is as a player, not how he actually is :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad