Laine already benched?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Absolutely. I am sad he's gone and a bit miffed as to how things soured but I wish Laine nothing but the best.

Agreed, I still like Laine and hope he does really well as a player (although I don't care too much about how his team does)
I also hope PLD plays great!

Reactions: Adam da bomb

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
The problem with Laine from CBJ perspective is that the roster is way too shallow for him to make any meaningful difference. In many of the goals he has scored, he's just been standing there in the slot and putting the puck in with his great shot.

It does not look like he has improved much if at all: unable to generate anything by himself, weak in puck battles and requires a PP or great playmaking and linedriving on 5v5 from linemates to get into a scoring position, which are hard to come by in CBJ as of now. Still better than what PLD has shown so far, though.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
No, I wasn't but I do believe the guy has a multi 50 goal seasons potential. Not in Columbus though, not with their current roster. Literally nobody would score 50 over there. He'd for sure score 50 with Washington, I can tell you this.

Always an excuse, must be Winnipeg, must be Maurice, must be Columbus. Maybe this is what is he? a 40~ goal 60-70 point guy. Might peak at 50 if he has a good year but he's around the age of goal scoring peak right now.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Because Washington is a good team and Winnipeg hasn't done shit in a while

Washington has been out in the first round in back to back years and has a worse record than Winnipeg right now but sure. They also have that Ovechkin guy who plays in Laine's spot on the PP but is much better.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Washington has been out in the first round in back to back years and has a worse record than Winnipeg right now but sure. They also have that Ovechkin guy who plays in Laine's spot on the PP but is much better.
Ovechkin is horrendous this year but go ahead, tell me how that guy plays.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The problem with Laine from CBJ perspective is that the roster is way too shallow for him to make any meaningful difference. In many of the goals he has scored, he's just been standing there in the slot and putting the puck in with his great shot.

It does not look like he has improved much if at all: unable to generate anything by himself, weak in puck battles and requires a PP or great playmaking and linedriving on 5v5 from linemates to get into a scoring position, which are hard to come by in CBJ as of now. Still better than what PLD has shown so far, though.
Huh. Blue Jackets fans have been talking about his driving on the PP, especially zone entries with the puck. Rose-tinted glasses?

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015

That's what Laine is. He's made some strides driving play but he'll always be Brett Hull not Ovi. Just needs his Adam Oates

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
That's what Laine is. He's made some strides driving play but he'll always be Brett Hull not Ovi. Just needs his Adam Oates
The poor man's Brett Hull maybe.

I think a lot of the "hatred" towards Laine stems from some of his fans and the wars we saw here on HF-boards in his early days. Vs Matthews and what have you.

Anyway, I have never seen any superstar qualities in Laine besides his shot, and I never understood people who have. All kinds of weird players have played well at a WJC for instance. With that being said, the shot is a superstar quality, and it would be cool to see him with a Barzal type player + a puck retriever. That smells of Rocket potential. The Islanders management should read this and act on it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
If I had to explain Laine as a hockey player, I would probably post something like this:
124448.gif

He might be a very skilled sloth. He might have a great shot. But he still has the intensity and the effort level of a sloth. You won't win many cups if Laine is one of your highest paid players. He's also in the company of Kessel and Hall. A specialized player you cannot have on your roster unless you already have a winning core that just needs an extra skill edge - and can afford it. A complementary player used as a mercenary.

That Laine ended up playing for Torts is just hysterical. This is Torts:
iu

My guess is the terrier will fail in waking up the sloth. It's just in their nature.

tapi

Oct 25, 2009
Huh. Blue Jackets fans have been talking about his driving on the PP, especially zone entries with the puck. Rose-tinted glasses?

He does have the ability to make zone entries, but has great issues with hanging on to the puck and generating plays. Even the zone entries, while decent, are not all that great. Good but not great. If he is to become a truly elite player he needs to try to take a page of out Jagr's etc book and improve his skills with the puck in the offensive zone.

Reactions: mattihp

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
He does have the ability to make zone entries, but has great issues with hanging on to the puck and generating plays. Even the zone entries, while decent, are not all that great. Good but not great. If he is to become a truly elite player he needs to try to take a page of out Jagr's etc book and improve his skills with the puck in the offensive zone.
I get the feeling Laine has been lacking mentors in developing his game. His shot was so impressive that it seems coaches did not engage in teaching him some of the basics of the offensive game.

Hopefully some of columbus coaches can help him, he is still young. In Winnipeg focus was on making him a more acceptable player defensively, but he did not seem to learn much offensively. He needs to add to his repertoire. Jágr didn't perfect his slapper until his late twenties. Patrik can still learn a lot.

Reactions: tapi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad