News Article: Lafreniere, expected No. 1 pick in 2020 NHL Draft, to skip QMJHL season

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Why have some people in hockey media even made it a discussion of moving the pick or taking someone else, Edge? I mean, if you just understand the obvious and here how JD (who even slipped up) and the rest have talked about the kid, it's as much of a lock you can get we're taking him.

I think there are few factors at work:

1. A lot of people expect Ottawa to be very aggressive with their draft capital. It’s also no secret they really wanted Lefreniere because of his skill and French-Canadian marketability. Montreal is in this same boat, but is seen as having less to work with that doesn’t involve roster players.

2. Because of the first reason, observers, especially those in Canada and the leading media market in the US, love the sexiness of the “story” and are going to run with it.

3. The Rangers have been very active and engaged in talking with and listening to teams throughout the league. Gorton does not have a reputation as a rash individual. People expect the Rangers to listen and weigh offers.

4. All things being equal, the Rangers weren’t looking for a LW. So there’s the belief, and not a false one, that they really want a center.

5. Both Byfield and Stutzle are potential center fits for the Rangers, and are seen as having the possibility of maybe coming close to catching Lefreniere if everything falls into place. (That’s a big maybe though).

6. I don’t think the Rangers are an automatic no to all offers. But it’s hard to say what that breaking point is. But I’d say the chances are 20 percent or less, maybe even 10 percent.

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018
I think there are few factors at work:

1. A lot of people expect Ottawa to be very aggressive with their draft capital. It’s also no secret they really wanted Lefreniere because of his skill and French-Canadian marketability. Montreal is in this same boat, but is seen as having less to work with that doesn’t involve roster players.

2. Because of the first reason, observers, especially those in Canada and the leading media market in the US, love the sexiness of the “story” and are going to run with it.

3. The Rangers have been very active and engaged in talking with and listening to teams throughout the league. Gorton does not have a reputation as a rash individual. People expect the Rangers to listen and weigh offers.

4. All things being equal, the Rangers weren’t looking for a LW. So there’s the belief, and not a false one, that they really want a center.

5. Both Byfield and Stutzle are potential center fits for the Rangers, and are seen as having the possibility of maybe coming close to catching Lefreniere if everything falls into place. (That’s a big maybe though).

6. I don’t think the Rangers are an automatic no to all offers. But it’s hard to say what that breaking point is. But I’d say the chances are 20 percent or less, maybe even 10 percent.
I appreciate the detailed response and a lot of what you write makes total sense. The trade aspect specifically makes a great deal of sense. I think what really annoys me is the REALLY small group of people who think we'd actually stick at 1 and not take Laf. That is just the biggest head-scratcher to me. Either you sit there and take Laf or you move the pick for a monster haul. There really isn't any other option, right?

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Why have some people in hockey media even made it a discussion of moving the pick or taking someone else, Edge? I mean, if you just understand the obvious and here how JD (who even slipped up) and the rest have talked about the kid, it's as much of a lock you can get we're taking him.

The media has to come up with stories to sell papers, views, clicks, whatever. So pretty much every draft in every sport they make this a story. It's to be expected really.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What is this argument? Of course he isn’t messier. Obviously.

the example is a similar type of player being able to make that move and becoming an even better player. As I said MY OPINION is he can do the same and frankly I think he should for himself and for the franchise. Again don’t think from day 1 but I think at some point he should get some looks there as he matures.

please don’t say he isn’t messier again.
I believe Messier came up as a LW and shifted over to C after a year or two. Could work. Can’t hurt to keep that in mind but, yeah, no need to do deviate at this point.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
Has covid made people lose their mind or what?

I cant tell if the posts calling him lazy are sarcasm. Then theirs the posts wanting to move him to center.

Why dont we sign Panarin to a 7 yr deal than ask him to play center. It's bad enough we throw Brendan Smith on the 4th line.

I can solve our 3 man goalie rotation. Have Henrik play on the 4th line like his brother. Cant be as bad as Brendan Smith right?

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Has covid made people lose their mind or what?

I cant tell if the posts calling him lazy are sarcasm. Then theirs the posts wanting to move him to center.

Why dont we sign Panarin to a 7 yr deal than ask him to play center. It's bad enough we throw Brendan Smith on the 4th line.

I can solve our 3 man goalie rotation. Have Henrik play on the 4th line like his brother. Cant be as bad as Brendan Smith right?
Maybe we can even try Lafreniere in net! Imagine a 1/2 punch of him & Igor
UQ8la0Z.jpg

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I think Mark Messier should call him and tell him if he wants to win a Stanley Cup In NY he needs to learn to play center and dominate from the middle like Mess did when he was a kid.

Too good too much vision and strength to play the wing because you don’t like to defend. Puck should be on his stick as much as possible. Maybe his skating used to hold him back or his consistency. Those aren’t weaknesses anymore. Make the switch
LAF playing center would solve so much for us. But realistically, we would hold onto Strome until we knew LAFs was playing center and acclimating well. But if we could...

Kredier-Zibs-Buch
Panarin-LAF-Kakko
Gauthier-Chytil-Kravtsov
Barron-Howden-Lemiuex

or in the mean time (although I'm mixed if Chytil will do better on wing)

Kredier-Zibs-Buch
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
Chytil-LAF-Kravtsov
Lemiuex-Howden-Gauthier

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I like him. Huberdeau with an edge is what I’m hearing more and more. What’s to not like? But there are many promising prospects who end up not living to the hype because they think the talent that has gotten them so far will be enough to carry them forward. I wasn’t aware of the Q’s schedule this year — but “skating on his own” sounded kind of complacent. I wouldn’t stop going to my current work if I just got an offer to start at another place in a few weeks; it’s not responsible / professional.
You need to go outside and get some fresh air. Breathing the same stuffed air all the time shrivels the brain.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Said it once and i'll say it again. If this team doesn't take Laf at 1 or if they trade the pick, every single person in that front office should be fired on the spot, simple as that.

I don't care what "monster haul" you can get, this team hasn't drafted a franchise talent since Leetch probably which was almost 30 years ago. Pick the sure thing and move on.

I'm sure the other kids will be very good players but none of them are Lafreniere. We've been given an opportunity to add a potential franchise player that can be the face of this team for years to come, please don't f*** it up trying to be cute. Pick the franchise player and then figure it out. Hearing this 10-20% chance of trading it just really makes me sick.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’ll say this. The last I saw of Byfield was the WJC and let me tell you he looked VERY Raw and his playmaking was non existent at that point in his development. Wheels and hands for days. Size of course. But when compared to Lafreniere there is a Sizable gap. Byfield has a ways to go. Dach imo was more nhl ready.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
You had quite a few knocks on the kid a couple of days ago. You seem to be in favor of taking Byfield with the pick, and now you’re calling him lazy/arrogant for not wanting to go back to the Q when it’s obvious that he’s ready for the NHL. Seems like you aren’t super excited to see him on Broadway like everyone else is.
I think you may be mistaking me for someone else. I don’t know much about Byfield — and he’s not even the consensus first overall.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I’ll say this. The last I saw of Byfield was the WJC and let me tell you he looked VERY Raw and his playmaking was non existent at that point in his development. Wheels and hands for days. Size of course. But when compared to Lafreniere there is a Sizable gap. Byfield has a ways to go. Dach imo was more nhl ready.

need to keep in mind that byfield is almost a full year younger too

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Lafreniere is making any team in the NHL next season. Absolutely no reason for him to risk injury or worry about tiring himself out before his first NHL season.

He has learned basically all he can at the QMJHL level so going back doesn't do him much good. It could actually hurt as he dominates too easily and falls into some bad habits that won't work in the pros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad